The 2011 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2011 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Greg, please take care if you are still at KIX. I suspect Osaka didn't get much damage after the earthquake but I wonder about the tsunami. I'll see you when you get back.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by mhnadel
I've never eaten at Me Jana, but Tyler Cowen claims it is the best Lebanese place in the region.

Both Nam Viet and Minh's are good. Presumably the burger place you have in mind is Ray's Hell-burger? If so, the burgers are great but I'm not sure if they can handle a group of more than 4.

If there are folks besides me who like Indian food, Delhi Club is decent British-style Indian food.

Tutto Bene in the Ballston area, while mediocre Italian food in my opinion, allegedly has Bolviian food on the weekend.
Well, my list of venues is:

Nam Viet -- www.namviet1.com
Eleventh Lounge -- http://www.yelp.com/biz/eleventh-str...unge-arlington (burgers)
Delhi Club -- www.delhiclub.com
Jay's Saloon -- no web site cheap beer and burger dive at 10th & Hudson
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Well, my list of venues is:

Nam Viet -- www.namviet1.com
Eleventh Lounge -- http://www.yelp.com/biz/eleventh-str...unge-arlington (burgers)
Delhi Club -- www.delhiclub.com
Jay's Saloon -- no web site cheap beer and burger dive at 10th & Hudson
Greg doesn't usually go for indian iirc and that burger place seems like a dump from the reviews at yelp you linked to .... I am personally hoping for more options
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Greg doesn't usually go for indian iirc and that burger place seems like a dump from the reviews at yelp you linked to .... I am personally hoping for more options
Thoughts on a "tried & true" Harry's Tap Room, et al?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UNHBuzzard
Thoughts on a "tried & true" Harry's Tap Room, et al?
I'll be difficult and restate the preference for something new (and yeah, yeah what else is new )
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:11 pm

How about a Tunsian venue, Chez Manelle

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chez-manelle-arlington

or a branch of Moby Dick’s House of Kabob

http://www.mobysonline.com/index.htm

Last edited by headinclouds; Mar 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm Reason: add url
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Alright, jet lag has me awake at 5:30 am in Seoul, so I did a little bit of checking. Despite what I said earlier, I will offer three potential restaurants and see what people think of each. I obviously won't be able to make a reservation before I return to DC on Tuesday, and want to get a feel for the potential number of attendees before I call the restaurant chosen to see about availability for a group at around 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm on Sunday. The 3 potentials that I have identified are:

1. Moby Dick House of Kabob
2. Mexicali Blues
3. Faccia Luna

All are in and around Clarendon.

Please post your preference by Thursday, and I'll try to make a reservation at the place that has the plurality of the votes.

Hope to see many of you there; it's been too long since we had a HH.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
My preference of those 3 would be Mexicali Blues because, if I recall correctly, Moby Dick House of Kabob does not serve alcohol and Faccia Luna is absurdly loud.

But I can live with any of them.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'll be difficult and restate the preference for something new
You're not being difficult you're being helpful! A couple of new restaurants just opened in Clarendon and they both look good.

The best new place is Mad Rose . They have a good looking menu, a good looking beer list, reasonable prices, and a nice facility.

Washingtonian article with menu
Map

The other place is Circa. Circa is also upscale and is more pricy, and the menu looks good.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisw
You're not being difficult you're being helpful! A couple of new restaurants just opened in Clarendon and they both look good.

The best new place is Mad Rose . They have a good looking menu, a good looking beer list, reasonable prices, and a nice facility.

Washingtonian article with menu
Map

The other place is Circa. Circa is also upscale and is more pricy, and the menu looks good.
Have you eaten at Mad Rose? There seems to be alot of opening buzz last month, but not much since. Assuming that you've been there and it was good, I'd pick Mad Rose as the #1 choice (Greg, I'd think you knew not to open it for people to vote ) based on the menu followed by either Moby Dick or Mexicali with a MD preference for the cuisine (don't they sell beer?)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
I know we're not voting, but Mad Rose sounds quite promising.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
(Greg, I'd think you knew not to open it for people to vote ) )
Hey, I'll not be around for a couple of days, so I'll let you all fight it out and then come in as the White Knight and resolve everything. Besides, if people vote and the place turns out to be less than ideal, I don't have to take the blame!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel
My preference of those 3 would be Mexicali Blues because, if I recall correctly, Moby Dick House of Kabob does not serve alcohol and Faccia Luna is absurdly loud.

But I can live with any of them.
So, we can't have a HH at a dry venue To drink well at resturants usually means paying a lot. Anyway, Mexicali Blues is mediocre food in my experience. I like pizza, but it was not loud when I've been there. As for Mad Rose, it looks like a clone of Liberty Tavern. Since it is new, I wonder about service issues. My vote in order is Moby Dick, then Mad Rose.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
So, we can't have a HH at a dry venue To drink well at resturants usually means paying a lot. Anyway, Mexicali Blues is mediocre food in my experience. I like pizza, but it was not loud when I've been there. As for Mad Rose, it looks like a clone of Liberty Tavern. Since it is new, I wonder about service issues. My vote in order is Moby Dick, then Mad Rose.
Keep that to yourself ... as always, HH is open to everyone those that are dry as well as wet. It is making the option available for each individual to decide that should be considered.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Keep that to yourself ... as always, HH is open to everyone those that are dry as well as wet. It is making the option available for each individual to decide that should be considered.
It is much cheaper to duct tape a bag of wine (removed from box) to your chest (shave first) and refill during bathroom breaks. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.