Wiki Posts
Search

The 2011 DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Well, I've been doing a lot of flying recently Waking up late on Sunday, then heading out to lunch appeals to me more than dinner.
How about an earlier dinner as a compromise? I'm unsure about whether I'll be traveling that evening just yet so don't want to finalize a time or place, but that would be my preference if I'm in town that evening.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by GoingAway
How about an earlier dinner as a compromise? I'm unsure about whether I'll be traveling that evening just yet so don't want to finalize a time or place, but that would be my preference if I'm in town that evening.
I'd be in for an early dinner. And as the 20th is a Sunday, on-street parking is free in Arlington and DC.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
I'd be in for an early dinner. And as the 20th is a Sunday, on-street parking is free in Arlington and DC.
Hey, I wasn't asking you ... give me a couple of days to see if I can figure out where I'd be on the 20th and then we can set something up.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, A-Club Plat, CBP Global Entry
I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this thread, but better late than never!

I wouldn't mind meeting up with the lot of you on the 20th, if that happens. Assuming you don't mind having new blood along.

I am out in Reston but don't mind going to DC or Arlington. Much better food options out that way.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by horantj
I wouldn't mind meeting up with the lot of you on the 20th, if that happens. Assuming you don't mind having new blood along.
New blood is always welcome! And if GoingAway is unable to schedule something, I'll try to set something up for that day.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20 th early dinner should work for me. I would like to pick something different, but no idea what other than to stay away from chains and big places. Suggestions?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by GoingAway
20 th early dinner should work for me. I would like to pick something different, but no idea what other than to stay away from chains and big places. Suggestions?

Assuming around Clarendon / Court House works well for folks:

Eventide?

Liberty Tavern?

Me Jana?

If folks are interested in heading into the city (but just as far as the West End) Bayou has been getting some good recent buzz.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mhnadel
Assuming around Clarendon / Court House works well for folks:

Eventide? -- Too pricey for me.

Liberty Tavern? -- We have had service issues with them in past.
Me Jana? -- No info.

If folks are interested in heading into the city (but just as far as the West End) Bayou has been getting some good recent buzz.
Naturally it depends on what cuisine is enjoyed. I know of 2 good Vietnamese venues in the area as well as a burger bar/pub.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
The 20th sounds good here, most likely +1. A perfect way to start off a week ended by the SF Presidential Suite.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Naturally it depends on what cuisine is enjoyed. I know of 2 good Vietnamese venues in the area as well as a burger bar/pub.
I've never eaten at Me Jana, but Tyler Cowen claims it is the best Lebanese place in the region.

Both Nam Viet and Minh's are good. Presumably the burger place you have in mind is Ray's Hell-burger? If so, the burgers are great but I'm not sure if they can handle a group of more than 4.

If there are folks besides me who like Indian food, Delhi Club is decent British-style Indian food.

Tutto Bene in the Ballston area, while mediocre Italian food in my opinion, allegedly has Bolviian food on the weekend.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Presumably the burger place you have in mind is Ray's Hell-burger? If so, the burgers are great but I'm not sure if they can handle a group of more than 4.
Let alone trying to find a place to park. That place crowds out my local liquor store
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Let alone trying to find a place to park. That place crowds out my local liquor store
Hello. Also, the DC Group's rule where applies is to look for a place that is Metro accessible, please.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:47 am

Uh, Ray's Hellburger is about a 5 minute walk (downhill no less) from the Courthouse metro station and about a 10 minute uphill walk from Rosslyn. I count that as metro accessible.

I'd also note that we have had several events that are not easily metroaccessible and there are always people willing to offer rides.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

When I get to the Asiana lounge at KIX later this morning, I'll take a look at possible venues and propose one. Ordinarily, I'd choose a couple and let people vote, but given the short time frame -- and the travel issues I'm having here in Asia -- I'll just pick one and hope it works for people.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Would join you all, but I'll be taking my wife out for dinner for her birthday. (OTOH, since we're not far from the restaurants mentioned so far, you may see us anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.