Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An open letter to the members of FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Thank you very much Randy for creating Flyertalk. Many of us here going to be sad seeing you go, but your baby (FT) is continue to grow and mature for sure, we will make sure that what you create stay the same.

Good Luck to you and hope to see you in your farewell DO!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Randy -- your post causes me to think about the last 12 + years here, and realize just how much my life has been enriched by Flyertalk. I've had some great experiences, been to some terrific places, and hopefully been able to pass some helpful information on to others here (and in my own circle of friends) to help others experience great travel.

Yours was a terrific idea -- and it had coalesced into the preeminent source for frequent flyer information on the internet.

Just now, I've been contemplating using our accumulated Delta miles (which include hundreds of thousands of miles earned through Flyertalk ideas) on a Round-The-World trip in business with my wife. Never could have thought about doing that without you and Flyertalk. And as a friend said to me recently -- "Why would you NOT do that?"

You've taught us to take the chance, to grab for the ring, to not let the moment pass us by.

Thanks.

Doug
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Geez, Randy, I know we discussed my role as your protege, but didn't think you'd expect me to take over that quickly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for founding FlyerTalk and for the countless hours, days, weeks, months, and years of your life you have put into creating and maintaining this fantastic community. I hope we will still see you around every now and then to say "Hi".

Best wishes for all your future ventures.
Will

(hey, someone stole my 3 thank you's in the post further up the page already. oh well. )
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Aw, Randy. You will be missed 'round here.

Who knew that some quirky cyber space thing started a bit over a decade ago would have such an impact on peoples' lives? Because of your vision, there have been numerous friendships forged, elite levels reached, DOs done, and even marriages formed. Heck, some of those marriages will result in little baby FTers that would have never come into existence had their mom and dad never stumbled upon this forum. That's quite an impact your "little website" has had.

Thanks for everything. You are loved

hugs,
Connor
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Thank you for sharing...

Randy -
I am so grateful to have experienced my first MegaDo in the much coveted Randy Class. Thank you so much for that opportunity. I didn't realize just how special the memories of SMD2 will be. As I boarded my flight home this morning I discovered that aztimm was on the same flight and in the same row. As we chatted, he told me of your decision - a little disbelief still in his voice. I was absolutely gobsmacked -

Like so many others, it seemed I had this great desire to travel with the hiccup being that I also wanted to travel well.... and in the front of the plane after I exerienced that for the first time. As a teacher, for the longest I had to be content with just that - a dream I wasn't quite sure how to channel that desire and bring that dream to life. When I discovered FlyerTalk I felt as though I had come home in a certain kind of way. Here I found a community of individuals - all ages, from all walks of life, a variety of backgrounds, living all over the world - who come together in this forum to share their love of travel and their love of doing that well..... only it didn't take me long to figure out that they liked to do it for pennies and miles.... and even for 'free.' And I began to see that it could work for me as well.

All of this made possible by you, for us......because of your own dreams.

Thank you for sharing, Randy.

I'll try to follow your example and keep paying it forward.

Best of everything to you and yours.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:08 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
You will definitely be missed.

Although we've never met face-to-face, it was so nice to read/see your kind words when my grandfather was sick in the weeks leading up to his eventual passing. I was hoping I'd get the chance to tell you this in person, but my mother (a.k.a. wsucougarchicksmom) told the staff of the hospital my grandfather was at that he had nearly 300,000 positive thoughts and prayers going up for him from this site alone, per your post in my thread, and they were amazed that that many people, who had never met my grandfather, cared enough to keep him in their thoughts and prayers.

From the bottom of my heart...thank you for everything.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Wow, I can't think of FT without you.

Thanks for setting it up and all that you have done since.

All the best in all your future endeavors.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Gracias, Randy.

As others mentioned, I first came to FT from the USA Today article in 2000. Looked a bit, and learned a lot. Didn't start my current username for a couple years, as so much was confusing.

The help and friendship I found here was amazing. I've always thought you had the patience of Job, and understand the need to move on. Best of luck, and it has been a pleasure meeting you, and benefitting from what you created.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: Lots
Thanks Randy. I've learned a lot in over a decade and made some lifelong friends here. That in itself means a lot more to me than miles ever will.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Randy,

You have created a legacy that has changed the world of travel from the promotions to the interactions with the industry. Although you will be stepping down I hope you continue to join us at future MEGA DO'S.

Best,

Ben
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
All the best for the future Randy.

I, along with many FTers, will forever be in your debt. If there is any way we can help just ask.

Hopefully goodbye to FT won't mean farewell forever as paths may cross in COS, NZ or anywhere around the world.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow. Both sad and thought provoking news. Anytime you have been working with someone for over a decade, even someone you never met in person, it's a shock when they leave. Especially when it is someone whose unique personality and altruistic nature was the regulating force of this community.

Good luck and enjoy retirement Randy! I'm sure it will be cushioned well with those millions of miles you have.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
All good things come to an end! Thanks Randy for creating and nurturing the great resource and community that is FT, and all the best for your future endeavours.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
As so many people have already said, FlyerTalk has improved my life is a number of ways. Randy, you still are FlyerTalk for me and I will take a long time to absorb you leaving us. I hope you'll continue posting and soon become an FTE (you should be an honorary FTE anyway, should you not?)

You can be happy in the realization that legions of us owe you an enormous debt. That will not change.

Please do keep us posted.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Old timers will know it is pretty CERTAIN I gave Randy more headaches and grey hairs than any other single FT'er, over my 10+ years here.

Thanks to his patience I'm still here, and even served a couple of years on the member elected Talkboard.

Thanks to this board he founded on a vision, we are flying 30 hours SYD-LAX-IAD-GIG soon, using a single SWU to upgrade it all on lie flat beds ... something I'd never have heard about before FT.

And flying free all around Brazil, with miles earned via lessons learned on FT, and getting Elite perks in the hotels and lounges en route.

And 100s if not 1000s of those reading this will have the same story, of how FT has changed their travelling lives. We all owe him a beer.

Anyone that can cheerfully pop by for a drink near home at almost zero notice, after building his barn all day, gets my vote as THE most down to earth guy in the flying world.

Enjoy the even fuller retirement Randy .. and DO finish that barn!

Glen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.