Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A / Air NZ Mega DO - AKL and CHC 11 - 12 December 2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Hmmmmm. I won't be able to make the full trip, and am considering arriving WLG-CHC on Sun, returning Mon am. The alternative might be WLG-AKL Sat, then AKL-CHC Sun returning CHC-WLG same day. Two nights away might be stretching it.....

Putting me off booking now is that on checking AirNZ I see that NZ513 is showing no smart saver fares at all. It seems AirNZ has pulled/held all cheaper inventory.

Will I be able to join the group for some of the trip (including alternate flights) using the 'secure site' ?

Cheers, TK

(of Scots heritage.......)
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:04 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
I'm sure we can arrange something TK - will get back to you.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
wijomas: Great work on this, I'm still interested. Is there a chance that we'll be able to use the discount fare on the NZ flight from LHR as well?

Just trying to get an idea of what costs and logistics would be involved if I could squeeze this in

I see now that BristolTraveller has shown interest as well. I wonder whether he'd want to fly out of LHR as well since *A connection aren't plentiful out of BRS anymore these days or whether he's combining it with another trip.

I was planning to combine it with some other visits to NZ and because I love NZ and would gladly take any excuse to head back for a few days
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:13 am

Programs: NZ*G
Not sure if we still need to be registering interest here, given there will be a registration site ... but you can add a 'plus one' to my interest.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Sorry, don't mean to jump the gun. But should we book our flights into AKL or departing ZQN, or will there be discount codes forthcoming?

I'm also thinking of booking hotels in the next few days.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:23 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
Is there a chance that we'll be able to use the discount fare on the NZ flight from LHR as well?
Working on it, but it's looking unlikely.

I see now that BristolTraveller has shown interest as well. I wonder whether he'd want to fly out of LHR as well since *A connection aren't plentiful out of BRS anymore these days or whether he's combining it with another trip.
I think he's combining it with a trip to Oz

I was planning to combine it with some other visits to NZ and because I love NZ and would gladly take any excuse to head back for a few days
Of course, we're fantastic

Originally Posted by forensicflyer
Not sure if we still need to be registering interest here, given there will be a registration site ... but you can add a 'plus one' to my interest.
Done ^

Originally Posted by Leumas
Sorry, don't mean to jump the gun. But should we book our flights into AKL or departing ZQN, or will there be discount codes forthcoming?

I'm also thinking of booking hotels in the next few days.
I still can't give the green light to book anything that's non-refundable. I don't want y'all coming at me with flaming torches or anything if anything falls through I'll be sending out an email to the Air NZ departments involved to try and get them to hurry along and confirm things, and once all is confirmed I can blame it on them if there are any problems (Just kidding, I'm sure everything will be fine! )

But, if you want to make bookings, feel free - just remember it's solely at your own risk if there's anything non-refundable.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:28 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

For those coming from the US, we have a group fare LAX-AKL-LAX:

Pacific Economy - USD$1082 plus taxes of approximately $90
Premium Economy - USD$3046 plus taxes of approximately $90
Business Premier - USD$6443 plus taxes of approximately $90

From what I can gather, all of the above fares will earn miles on UA. Air NZ's Premium Economy and Business booking classes always earn miles from my understanding of Mileage Plus' rules, and the Economy fare books into T class which also earns miles.

US domestic add-ons will also be available, pricing TBA.

Booking website "coming soon!" (Just waiting on those confirmations mentioned in the above post.)
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Will the "booking website" also include options hotels for the nights in Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown? Or will we need to book them ourselves?

And if we do it ourselves then would it be useful to know a useful location (e.g. close to where dinner may be).

(Too soon for such minutiae?).
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:33 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RiskFate
Will the "booking website" also include options hotels for the nights in Auckland, Christchurch and Queenstown? Or will we need to book them ourselves?

And if we do it ourselves then would it be useful to know a useful location (e.g. close to where dinner may be).

(Too soon for such minutiae?).
Yes, I am hoping to get us all together in one hotel in each city on a group rate. Although we can all attend the Koru lounge in AKL, in CHC and ZQN it is more difficult so it will be good to have a central meeting point.

Please continue to hold and we'll be with you shortly.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Please change my status to confirmed, for Sat & Sun. I'll be joining the Do in AKL early Sat and leaving CHC late Sun.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
I am as confirmed as one can be for a yet-to-be confirmed event! Never been farther than Australia, so looking forward to it!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
OK, change me to Plat, but only for the day at AKL. I'll fly up early Sat morning, and return AKL-WLG on Sun. Subject to the Sat night dinner, I may join the 'group' at the AKL KC for 'champagne breakfast?! (just an idea....).

Cheers, TK
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:33 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Please change my status to confirmed, for Sat & Sun.
Done ^

Originally Posted by Golden Toque
I am as confirmed as one can be for a yet-to-be confirmed event! Never been farther than Australia, so looking forward to it!
Awesome! Though to be fair, New Zealand is closer to Canada than Australia.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Subject to the Sat night dinner, I may join the 'group' at the AKL KC for 'champagne breakfast?! (just an idea....)
I even offered to supply our own alcohol. How sad that the KC doesn't have a BYO licence and is going to have to supply the booze for us...
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What time does the CHC Sunday tour activity finish?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:57 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
What time does the CHC Sunday tour activity finish?
Still unsure. A further email will be going out in the next couple of days to all departments involved to try and get some more precise details on exactly what (and when) they can do for us.

I'm tempted to say it will likely be mostly morning activities in CHC, though it really all depends on when they can fit us in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.