Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A / Air NZ Mega DO - AKL and CHC 11 - 12 December 2010

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
That's allright - If I can attend it may mean an OMG O'clock CHC-MEL flight Monday.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
CHC earthquake?

Do you think the earthquake will affect the DO?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nor4
I wouldn't think so.
CHC airport reopened the same day as the quake. Most hotels remain open.

While some rebuilding will take months or years, the last thing the city needs is for tourists to stay away (once it is safe for visitors).
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Given the recent events in CHC, may I ask we all cut Air NZ, especially those in CHC, a bit of slack? Let's hope their lives aren't overly affected...

Some of us are anxious to book flights or so forth (myself included), but there are more important things in life...
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:50 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by nor4
No. As below:

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While some rebuilding will take months or years, the last thing the city needs is for tourists to stay away (once it is safe for visitors).
Tourism is a vital part of any NZ city's economy, especially in a time of crisis.

Originally Posted by Leumas
Given the recent events in CHC, may I ask we all cut Air NZ, especially those in CHC, a bit of slack? Let's hope their lives aren't overly affected...
^

I'm reluctant to be too pushy, though Avsec will need quite a bit of time to do their security checks and until I know where we're going and what we're doing in each airport, it's hard for them to do that.

Instead of opening up the registration form and getting all data in one hit, I may open it up in two stages (collect personal information first, and information about which events you will attend later). I shall ponder.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
That's allright - If I can attend it may mean an OMG O'clock CHC-MEL flight Monday.
Just booked that one "Seat Only" for NZD118. Was able to select 2D (but chose 3D).

Where in Christchurch is a good place to stay Sunday night?

Please add me as Platinum for Sat & Sun. I'll be joining the Do in AKL early Sat and leaving CHC for MEL Monday morning.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by serfty
Just booked that one "Seat Only" for NZD118. Was able to select 2D (but chose 3D).

Where in Christchurch is a good place to stay Sunday night?

Please add me as Platinum for Sat & Sun. I'll be joining the Do in AKL early Sat and leaving CHC for MEL Monday morning.
You could burn some of your numerous PC points by staying at a HI or the CP, though for your OMG departure you may wish to stay nearer the airport.

There are now seats on that flight for $67 (seat only) and $87 (with a checked bag).
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown

There are now seats on that flight for $67 (seat only) and $87 (with a checked bag).
The Nett price is NZD10 less than yesterday at NZD108. (Who checks bags?)

Such is life ...

(Burned some PC points for Darwin in May next year, so not many left in my account.)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: QF WP & EK G
Add me to the list as Platinum
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by longtimeflyer
Add me to the list as Platinum
Good to see you finally made it here
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: QF WP & EK G
Originally Posted by d00t
Good to see you finally made it here
Yep lol after a join date of 2008! Must be a record for the longest time between joining and first post
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:31 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Greetings from VIE all

Just to let you know I have emailed the various NZ departments involved and hope to have more information soon™

With the CHC earthquake they likely have a lot on their minds at the moment so I won't be too pushy, but business must go on. Plus, the deadline for deposits on the group booking was 16 Sep, but I've asked for this to be extended and can't foresee it to be a problem.

ETA: To clarify, that's the deadline for me paying the deposit to NZ - the registration website is still on hold for a bit.

Last edited by wijomas; Sep 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:33 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyer
Yep lol after a join date of 2008! Must be a record for the longest time between joining and first post
"Welcome" to FT, longtimelurker longtimeflyer. Platinum you are.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:46 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

For those of you wanting to do NZ513 AKL-CHC only this can be done as part of the group booking for $160. However I note that NZ501 which is about an hour earlier is currently available on the NZ website for $80.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wijomas
For those of you wanting to do NZ513 AKL-CHC only this can be done as part of the group booking for $160. However I note that NZ501 which is about an hour earlier is currently available on the NZ website for $80.
Depending on numbers lounge access in CHC while waiting for the rest to catch up is a possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.