Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #8" – Darwin Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF
Arrow USA to Australia flight details updated in post #35 page 3

Morning folks & evening if you're in the US. I've just updated post #35 on page 3 with flight details to Australia from the US for UA/DL/QF/AA.

We're now approaching the witching hour ie 330 days prior to OzFest8 for f/flyer awards & redemptions.

Via the South Pacific is the most often way of getting down under & I'm sure the option for those just able to have the Memorial Day Holiday away however there are some options via Asia for everyone irrespective of their allegiances to OneWorld Star Alliance or Skyteam.

I'll address these in a separate post but below are some ideas of what is possible:

Cathay Pacific (CX) USA to HKG to SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL/PER then ex Australian gateway city to DRW.

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Option 1. USA to SIN to SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL/PER then ex Australian gateway city to DRW. Option 2 USA to SIN then purchasing a fare on JQ58 SIN/DRW & JQ57 DRW/SIN or using a f/flyer redemption on QF codeshare flight QF272 SIN/DRW & QF271 DRW/SIN operated by JQ.

Thai Airways (TG) USA to BKK to SYD/MEL/BNE/PER then ex Australian gateway city to DRW.

Malaysia Airlines (MH) USA to KUL to SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL/PER then ex Australian gateway city to DRW.

Vietnam Airlines (VN) Option 1 USA to SGN to SYD/MEL then ex Australian gateway city to DRW. Option 2 USA to SGN stopover then SGN/DRW on JQ74 & DRW/SGN on JQ73 purchasing a fare or using a f/flyer redemption on QF codeshare flight QF260 & DRW/SGN QF259 operated by JQ.

I'm sure the possibilities are endless but I look forward to hearing everyone's different options as it shows fellow FTers what's possible.

Cheers

Oz
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:40 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dont forget CX and CO as well as JQ via CNS!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
I have been "off the grid" (sailing) for the last few days,
and missed the OZ-fest #8 sign-up thread.

Anyway, back on terra firma now, so list me as "platinum/definite" for
DRW.

Looking forward to another great event!!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Getting ready to book

G'day mates!

Hans and I are getting ready to book our trip to 2011 OZ Fest but am looking at length of time etc. I am just going to get our r/ts MLB/SYD and have a question or two....

1. Looking at a 2 week trip and want to start off the visit with some time in SYD...Would you SYD residents say 5 days enough? We did spend 2 days in SYD many years ago but think we missed alot...

2. OZBEACHBABE.....should I schedule us for 5 days in Darwin?

I am trying to work out ending trip by flying Darwin back to SYD, spending night at airport hotel and headed back to USA the following morning....

Also hoping some of you SYDs will hang with us when we come....

Cheers to all and look fwd to our second OZ DO.
Dede

ps. my options are Delta, Skyteam.......
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:30 pm
In memoriam

Great news Dede - really look forward to seeing you both again "downunda"!

Really depends what you want to see/do in Syd whether 5 days is enough/too much - but you probably wouldn't want to spend much more given the trek to Darwin and sights to see there!

Will PM you ...

R.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: QF
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dedehans
G'day mates!

Hans and I are getting ready to book our trip to 2011 OZ Fest but am looking at length of time etc. I am just going to get our r/ts MLB/SYD and have a question or two....

1. Looking at a 2 week trip and want to start off the visit with some time in SYD...Would you SYD residents say 5 days enough? We did spend 2 days in SYD many years ago but think we missed alot...

2. OZBEACHBABE.....should I schedule us for 5 days in Darwin?

I am trying to work out ending trip by flying Darwin back to SYD, spending night at airport hotel and headed back to USA the following morning....

Also hoping some of you SYDs will hang with us when we come....

Cheers to all and look fwd to our second OZ DO.
Dede

ps. my options are Delta, Skyteam.......

Hi Dede

5 days sounds like a great option so you could arrive maybe Thursday 26 May ex QF846 1940/2340 or ex QF842 1045/1500 if you prefer earlier in the day.

Then you could fly DRW/SYD on QF843 Tue 31 May overnighting at the airport then catch DL SYD/LAX on Wed 01 Jun. I notice the DL flight operates on to ATL same flight number but different aircraft type on the LAX/ATL sector - however, there is a 5 hour layover in LAX!!!

You'd surely be better off taking an earlier flight LAX/ATL with a connection ATL/MLB.

I don't know whether redemption wise (or on paid fares for that matter) if it's cheaper in points or dollars to book the DL flights MLB/ATL/SYD/ATL/MLB vs MLB/ATL/LAX/SYD/LAX/ATL/MLB. I guess it depends how DL structure the awards & whether the common rate all the East Coat USA cities to SYD.

SYD had a couple of bonus Italian visitors this week that were meant to be going to Sydney Nova Scotia in Canada instead of Down Under so hopefully Delta will book you to SYD not YQY

If you need any further help with flights or any other arrangements either post or PM me. That's goes for any other AFFer or FTer too!

Cheers

Oz
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:48 am

Please change me to Bronze.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Hi Dede

5 days sounds like a great option so you could arrive maybe Thursday 26 May ex QF846 1940/2340 or ex QF842 1045/1500 if you prefer earlier in the day.

Then you could fly DRW/SYD on QF843 Tue 31 May overnighting at the airport then catch DL SYD/LAX on Wed 01 Jun. I notice the DL flight operates on to ATL same flight number but different aircraft type on the LAX/ATL sector - however, there is a 5 hour layover in LAX!!!

You'd surely be better off taking an earlier flight LAX/ATL with a connection ATL/MLB.

I don't know whether redemption wise (or on paid fares for that matter) if it's cheaper in points or dollars to book the DL flights MLB/ATL/SYD/ATL/MLB vs MLB/ATL/LAX/SYD/LAX/ATL/MLB. I guess it depends how DL structure the awards & whether the common rate all the East Coat USA cities to SYD.

SYD had a couple of bonus Italian visitors this week that were meant to be going to Sydney Nova Scotia in Canada instead of Down Under so hopefully Delta will book you to SYD not YQY

If you need any further help with flights or any other arrangements either post or PM me. That's goes for any other AFFer or FTer too!

Cheers

Oz
Thanks....I already have the RTs to Sydney May 18 (ar am 20th) and May 31 so will have to fly back from DWN on the 30th.....

Was thinking of flying to Darwin on the 24th or 25th......will there be enough to do? I have been to SYD before but really didn't stay long enough so want to experience more of it.....

Thanks for you input....please tell me more about Darwin when you have a chance.....
Dede

Last edited by dedehans; Jul 8, 2010 at 11:17 am
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Let me be one of the first to post flight details for Oz Fest #8.

25th May 2011 QF600 MEL-BNE (dep 0605 arr 0815)
25th May 2011 QF824 BNE-DRW (dep 0900 arr 1240)
31st May 2011 QF825 DRW-BNE (dep 1325 arr 1735)
31st May 2011 QF637 BNE-MEL (dep 1855 arr 2120)

We should be able to guest 3 or 4 at each lounge enroute.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Please add another person from BOS to the silver list. I've always wanted to go to Australia. Hopefully i can get my first stamp in my passport!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Hopefully i can get my first stamp in my passport!!!!
Do we still give out passport stamps? IIRC NZ passports don't get one, and AU passports of course don't get one either.

If we do, I can't remember if it is to any international passport or only to certain nationalities (the rest get no stamp).

You could always consider stopping over in Asia before heading downwards. All of them still give passport stamps.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Please add another person from BOS to the silver list. I've always wanted to go to Australia. Hopefully i can get my first stamp in my passport!!!!
Your first overseas trip?

let me be the first to say we are honoured , and will make you very welcome
beware tho, a few days sitting down with this crowd, and it will probably not be your last

we are a helpful bunch too, dont hesitate to ask for assistance in getting a fare together
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by anat0l
Do we still give out passport stamps? IIRC NZ passports don't get one, and AU passports of course don't get one either.
NZ passports get one unless you use SmartGate.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by wijomas
NZ passports get one unless you use SmartGate.
With Australian issued passports, generally they will only give you a stamp if you request one.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by anat0l

If we do, I can't remember if it is to any international passport or only to certain nationalities (the rest get no stamp).

You could always consider stopping over in Asia before heading downwards. All of them still give passport stamps.
I've gotten them both coming and going every time I've been Down Under. I suspect I'll get another two when I fly to PER for 3 days at the end of August. I'd rather not get them at this stage -- now that adding 24 additional pages to a US passport costs US$82!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.