Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #8" – Darwin Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2011

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
The flight out and back was on Friday, so instead of doing the Sunset tour thought I would go to Groote Eylandt.
EMB120 are rare.

Just booked with Airnorth, out and back on Friday 27 May 2011, depart 2:30pm return at 6:20pm.
I believe I flew in an Air North EMB120 from BME-DRW (supposed to be BME-KNX-DRW but that flight cancelled) in bad weather back in 2007.
Old May 4, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
[QUOTE=JohnK;16326266] May see a few of you in Sydney or in Brisbane on Thursday night for our regular drinks night.QUOTE]I'll be in BNE May 19, Thursday. Tell me more about this
Old May 4, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Registered and paid.

I guess my fault for waiting, but the full tour for Sunday seems to be sold out. I paid for the express tour, but if a space opens up on the full tour due to cancellation I'd like to be on the wait list (if there is such a thing).

Look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.
Old May 4, 2011, 5:07 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Driving by DCA
Registered and paid.

I guess my fault for waiting, but the full tour for Sunday seems to be sold out. I paid for the express tour, but if a space opens up on the full tour due to cancellation I'd like to be on the wait list (if there is such a thing).

Look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.
Ditto ... still, at least we'll see the jumping crocs ...
Old May 4, 2011, 5:39 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
There was an issue with the ticketing system, the Sunday tour is not full! Its now been fixed, anyone who wants to upgrade their tour please let me know and I will refund the other ticket.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
If anyone needs a discounted room at HI Esplanade on the nights of Sat 28th & Sun 29th I have one free (I made a double booking ages ago).

$171 per night (I am using a Priority Privilege 25% off voucher for the Friday night and was going to cancel the following 2 nights but thought I'd see if anyone was interested in moving into our room when we move into our BOGO room!!!)

PM me if interested.
Old May 5, 2011, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
I'll be in BNE May 19, Thursday. Tell me more about this
We have a once a month drinks night in Brisbane which originated on Australian Frequent Flyer but also includes anyone from Flyertalk. It is usually on a Wednesday night but this month we are holding it on Thursday, 26 May due to a couple of Flyertalkers being in town on their way to Ozfest in Darwin.

That being said we do try and take care of interstate and overseas visitors when they are in town so I am sure we can organise a special drinks night for Thurdsay, 19 May.

I hope it is OK to post thread from AFF.

Let me know if you are interested in having a drink and I can post a thread on AFF and also update our thread on Flyertalk.
Old May 5, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Reposting

¹² Both of these tours include transport to/from Mindil Beach Markets on Sunday evening. Also people not doing either tour on Sunday can still join everyone else for the Sunset Markets.

List of Attendee's flights:
For convenience, only the direct flight segments which are either International segments to/from Oz and/or Domestic/International to/from Darwin
List of Attendee's Hotels:Register by Clicking here:

Last edited by serfty; May 6, 2011 at 5:59 am
Old May 5, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Getting ready to meet the crocs

http://jalopnik.com/5798215/this-vid...be-a-viral-hit

Getting ready for the crocs of Oz......

It is gator mating season .....think this fella fell in love...
Old May 5, 2011, 5:22 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Three Weeks to go, the weather in DRW is fine and just below the 100 degree mark at present, hope it lasts. The crocs have enjoyed the wet season and some big ones are around, like the 4.6M version caught this week near Katherine

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...04/3207784.htm

Those of you going on the conflict tour will be interested to know today is the 69th Anniversary of the Battle for the Coral Sea, an event that had a significant bearing on the fortunes of Darwin for the rest of WW2. The Aviation Heritage Centre is being expanded to accommodate new exhibits including a F111 and Caribou aircraft which will not be there before our tour, so its a little bit of a maze at present but still very much worthwhile as far as a visit goes, its not often you get to look in a B52's bomb bay or cockpit!
Old May 5, 2011, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
@:-)What to bring on the Arnhemland Safari

* One litre water bottle (water supplied for refills on truck)
* Good walking shoes or boots
* Sunscreen lotion
Any recommendations on places to buy last minute supplies in Darwin? Unfortunately I have some segments on ULCC's so i have to pack light. Guess i should have stuck with my QF itin
Old May 5, 2011, 6:26 pm
In memoriam

SYD pre-ozfest dinner 21st May

There's now a thread in Community Buzz for anyone interested in Chinatown for dinner ... of course any recommendations for restaurants greatfully accepted!
Old May 5, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Originally Posted by CDKing
Any recommendations on places to buy last minute supplies in Darwin? Unfortunately I have some segments on ULCC's so i have to pack light. Guess i should have stuck with my QF itin
I can bring a spare water bottle & sun block lotion.
Good walking shoes / boots - there are shops in Darwin, but do you reaally want to break them in on holidays?

If you can get your hiking boots over here then maybe I can get them back home to you in a couple of months. That will give you room to take some good Aussie gifts home.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Bump to page 1....can't wait!!!!
Old May 7, 2011, 10:16 pm

We have organised another drinks/dinner night in Brisbane on Thursday 19 May if anyone is interested. Bob W is the special guest of honour.

Here is the thread on AFF. Please follow that thread for confirmation and further details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.