Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #8" – Darwin Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #8" – Darwin Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by CDKing
Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:57 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have added the AFL game to the ticketing page for those wishing to attend what is a fairly rare event for the top end.

https://ozfest.eventarc.com/event/vi...11---darwin-nt
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Can I get a read on when the jumping crocs + Corroboree billabong tour is expected to wrap up on the 29th?

I'm on the 7:10 JQ flight back to DPS that night and want to make sure that I'll have a good cushion to get to the airport before I book the full slate.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:41 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
The tours on Sunday will conclude early enough for people to return to their hotel, refresh and then wander down to the world famous Mindil Sunset Markets around 5PM I believe.

http://www.mindil.com.au/
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by markis10
The tour tickets website is now live and ready to go, with all the pre do and post do events as well as the do events themselves online.

https://ozfest.eventarc.com/event/vi...rwin-<br /> nt
This is going to make things easier.

Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
\
Now the other $64,000 question is Bundy Bear still doing a round trip ex DRW to Groote Eylandt on Sunday to ticket the box on his bucket list that says "travelled in an Embraer 120 Brasilia aircraft"?
The flight out and back was on Friday, so instead of doing the Sunset tour thought I would go to Groote Eylandt.
EMB120 are rare.

Just booked with Airnorth, out and back on Friday 27 May 2011, depart 2:30pm return at 6:20pm.

Last edited by Bundy Bear; Apr 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm Reason: Booked some flights.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Further updates to flights made:

Here is the link: Oz Fest 8 in Darwin 2011 - Flights

Please advise of any flights/errors/omissions by PM. (PM Serfty)

For convenience, I am only included the direct flight segments which are:
  • International segments to/from Oz, and/or
  • Domestic/International to/from Darwin.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Further updates to flights made:

Here is the link: Oz Fest 8 in Darwin 2011 - Flights

Please advise of any flights/errors/omissions by PM. (PM Serfty)

For convenience, I am only included the direct flight segments which are:
  • International segments to/from Oz, and/or
  • Domestic/International to/from Darwin.
And for people like me who are staring at serftys page trying to figure out where the flights to Darwin got to, at the bottom you can toggle between flights to Darwin and from Darwin. @:-)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
And for people like me who are staring at serftys page trying to figure out where the flights to Darwin got to, at the bottom you can toggle between flights to Darwin and from Darwin. @:-)
Its basically an MS Excel spreadsheet with worksheets tabs in html format (Engineers like Anat01 & me live, breath & dream about xls files )
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
(Engineers like Anat01 & me live, breath & dream about xls files )
So do us financial types!

I think in Excel spreadsheets.

Audrey
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: QF
Arrow Sunday tour 29 May 2011

Corroboree Billabong Cruise & Jumping Crocs Cruise & Mindil Beach Sunset Markets

We depart Holiday Inn Esplanade at 0745 followed by the HI Crowne Plaza at 0750 via minibus & head for the Corroboree Park Tavern (CPT)on the Arnhem Hwy which should take approx one hour. Time for a comfort stop & to grab a drink or snack before getting the Corroboree Cruise shuttle at 0910 to the Billabong itself which should take 20-30 minutes. The cruise runs from 0940-1040 so would arrive back at the CPT around 1110 before heading for the Jumping Crocs Cruise up the road.

Plenty of time to have lunch somewhere prior to the Jumping Crocs Cruise which will be 1300-1400. There is also a cafe there. After arriving back in DRW 1530-1600 there will be sufficient time to freshen up/post/tweet/check emails before heading down to the Markets for dinner & to watch the sunset from the beach.

Cost per person AUD95.00 which includes transport to/from Mindil Markets in the evening.

Driving by DCA & any others with flights out of DRW that evening: it is most certainly possible to fly out that night. The Jumping Crocs Cruise finishes at 1400 & we head back to DRW after that so probably 1530-1600 at the very latest leaving about 3 hours prior to your flight departure. I'm sure we could even get you checked in for your eveing flight prior going to Mindil Beach Sunset Markets so you could have a look around there before heading back to the airport to clear customs etc.

Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
For those folk not doing either the Corroboree Billabong & Croc Cruise or the Crocodile Express Tour we will depart for the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets from the Holiday Inn Esplanade at 1700 and the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza at 1705.

There are a large amount of arts and craft stalls which is ideal for souvenir shopping as it's quality stuff not gimicky. There are also plenty of food stalls for dinner & although alcohol is not for sale there you can certainly BYO which is popular thing to do while watching the sunset on the beach.

We will return from the markets to our city hotels at approximately 2000 hours where people will have the option of going to a restaurant if they wish.
I think it's probably a good idea to not overschedule everyone for dinner tonight so we can 'go with the flow'.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 am Reason: Adding departure times from hotels
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:42 am

Arrow Crocodile Express Tour option Sun 29 May 2011

Crocodile Express Tour

For those who prefer a leisurely Sunday lie in another option would be to just do the Jumping Crocs Cruise only (ie leaving out the Corroboree Billabong Cruise) but still joining the rest of your fellow FTers. You would leave the the Holiday Inn Esplanade at 1130 Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza at 1135 then return at the same time as the other tour in post #655 above around 1530-1600 dropping off at both hotel locations. The cost below also covers your return shuttle transfers from the CBD to the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets late afternoon/early evening.

Cost per person AUD50.00

Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
For those folk not doing either the Corroboree Billabong & Croc Cruise or the Crocodile Express Tour we will depart for the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets from the Holiday Inn Esplanade at 1700 and the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza at 1705.

There are a large amount of arts and craft stalls which is ideal for souvenir shopping as it's quality stuff not gimicky. There are also plenty of food stalls for dinner & although alcohol is not for sale there you can certainly BYO which is popular thing to do while watching the sunset on the beach.

We will return from the markets to our city hotels at approximately 2000 hours where people will have the option of going to a restaurant if they wish. I think it's probably a good idea to not overschedule everyone for dinner tonight so we can 'go with the flow'.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Apr 19, 2011 at 8:04 am Reason: Adding tour departure times from city hotels
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:44 am

Well done to ozbeachbabe, markis10 and the rest of the planning crew. Looks like a really awesome Do, I'm really sad I can't make it! DRW is one place in Australia that I've not yet had the pleasure of visiting.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:50 am

Arrow

Originally Posted by flashware
Well done to ozbeachbabe, markis10 and the rest of the planning crew. Looks like a really awesome Do, I'm really sad I can't make it! DRW is one place in Australia that I've not yet had the pleasure of visiting.
Well you could always join us in the virtual sense so we could do live streaming or whatever the terminology is that you IT gurus use. I suppose you'd need to tell us how to Twitter & Tweet, not that there's a shortage of birdlife in the NT!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Well you could always join us in the virtual sense so we could do live streaming or whatever the terminology is that you IT gurus use. I suppose you'd need to tell us how to Twitter & Tweet, not that there's a shortage of birdlife in the NT!
It looks to be the one week I'm actually in London, too, and not off travelling somewhere else around Europe!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
BUMP.

Can't have this dropping off page #1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.