Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #8" – Darwin Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:04 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
A couple of downgrades for me, namely Markis 10 Jnr and +1 wont be coming as I am now single.

On another note, those who booked the entertainment rate at any of the CPs/HIs may not get points, the new booking engine states categorically that these rates are not eligible however I have always got points at these hotels on those rates.

Also QF look to have changed the aircraft that were operating ex BNE from A333s on certain days back to 767s, it may pay to check your seat selection and note that exit rows can now be selected.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Pooch
Straight down Sussex Street ... max 15 minutes ... all we have to do is decide on a restaurant! Bob - I'm assuming Chinese is OK with you? Any other takers who have better/other ideas within walking distance of the Sheraton?
Chinese is fine by me.

Sorry for the lack of replies. I've been at my cabin in the middle of nowhere with no internet or cell phone service.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I guess i better check out what the prices are for grocery type items to make sure i have enough money. I also need to decide to convert money now or wait a little longer
Just tell us that there are stores where we can buy decent wines at good prices..
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:59 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
Just tell us that there are stores where we can buy decent wines at good prices..
Both supermarkets in the CBD have liquor stores and are in stumbling distance from all hotels, a good branded wine is $7-$20, cleanskins (unkown lables/vineyards) can be had for $2 a bottle at times and are remarkable drinking value if young wines are to your liking.

Platinum Priority Club members will have a fruit plate and a bottle waiting in their room if at either the HIs or CP, when I get the ticketing system up shortly I will include an option for those members to nominate their preferred drop be it white/red/sweet or dry or sparkling, and then pass the info onto the hotel so you get what you like when you arrive.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:03 pm
In memoriam

As if we'd let you here without such an option ... perhaps different (very!) to the Nth American wines I was lucky to taste ... but potable, eminently potable!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Yikes - so essentially a main and dessert is $85.60 a head plus drinks and coffee and starter and tip etc?

I'm guessing that will be ~$125 a head with a few glasses of wine.
The two most common complaints I hear from FTers is the cost of functions and the 'need' for non or light drinkers to susidise the heave drinkers.

The price of this meal is competitive for Darwin and will be no dearer, and possibly cheaper, for those who don't drink or only drink a little and dearer for the big drinkers. Going along with the consensus there should be no need for the light or non drinkers to subsidise the heavy drinkers and that's how it has been planned.

For those who may be concerned about the entry cost to Crocosaurus Cove, I recommend the venue as very entertaining and very good value for money. Photo opportunity with a small croc, fish feeding, and the chance to swim with the crocs. (..or that's how it looks through the plexi glass)

Trivia for the day!
Human bite is 85 ib force
Great White Shark bite is 600 lb force
American Alligator (13 ft) bite is 2900 lb force
Salt Water Crocodile (15 ft) bite is 3800 lb force
Tyrannosaurus Rex bite is (was) 4100 lb force
Salt Water Crocodile (17 ft) bite is 7600 lb force.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:29 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
For those who may be concerned about the entry cost to Crocosaurus Cove, I recommend the venue as very entertaining and very good value for money. Photo opportunity with a small croc, fish feeding ...
Hope it's not US who'll be the fish food
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
cleanskins (unkown lables/vineyards) can be had for $2 a bottle at times and are remarkable drinking value if young wines are to your liking.
2 buck Chuck Aussie style....well have to give it a go
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:39 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozbeachbabe
Mon 30 May: If flying out at lunch time you'll have time for a leisurely breakfast & should have time for some last minute shopping or purchase some Aboriginal Art from one of the many galleries. Those not flying out until Tue, we could arrange a harbour cruise or scenic flight, basically whatever you like!
There are a number of us who will be in Darwin til Tuesday lunch time. Just wondering if anything has been formally planned for the Monday as yet? Otherwise, happy to make own arrangements. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: QF
Katherine Gorge lunch cruise Mon 30 May 2011

Katherine Gorge lunch cruise Mon 30 May 2011

Our tour starts at 0700 with a pickup from the Holiday Inn Esplanade followed by the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza at 0705. We will stop enroute at the township of Adelaide River 113km south of Darwin where we will have time to visit the War Cemetery & have a stop for refreshments.

We have a tentative booking for 20 people on the Nitmiluk buffet lunch cruise leaving Katherine Gorge at 1330-1530. After the cruise there will be time to see the Visitor's Centre before making our way back to Darwin. We will make a stop on the way back at Adelaide River to break up the return journey.

I have also reserved a coach also which is viable if we get 20 people we would have sole use of the 47 seater coach which is good for passenger comfort as it is quite a long day, leaving our hotel at 0700 & returning back to our Darwin city hotels about 1930-2000 that evening.

The cost for the based on getting 20 people would be $149.00 per person which is competitive when you compare it with a lot of other Katherine Gorge day tours in the marketplace which are over $200.00.

If we don't get 20 people & do the trip with 100% Ozfest people we can still look at tour operators that go there & find the best value option depending on how many people we actually get.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Apr 19, 2011 at 7:23 am Reason: Adding hotel pickup times in DRW
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
For those who may be concerned about the entry cost to Crocosaurus Cove, I recommend the venue as very entertaining and very good value for money. Photo opportunity with a small croc, fish feeding, and the chance to swim with the crocs. (..or that's how it looks through the plexi glass)
I was too planning on going there. I wonder if they give any discount on "Cage of Death" since the price of that includes the admission which we already have? Then again looking at the other expenses I will probably have to pass on that close encounter.

That will have to be what i drink otherwise I will be limiting my drinking to the Krug and Johnny Walker Blue on my flights

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 11, 2011 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:44 pm

That will have to be what i drink otherwise I will be limiting my drinking to the Krug and Johnny Walker Blue on my flights
I'll share.....
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
JUst have to remember trip of a lifetime. Just cant go broke mid trip
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Two things that might help.
  1. This is Oz so there is no requirement to tip. ^
  2. I'll buy you a drink if you are really hard pressed!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:22 pm

I am pretty sure that this is just the first "Trip of a lifetime" for a young FT'er like yourself....

Most will confirm that long haul is an addiction easily acquired and never fully kicked (like cigarettes and other bad habits).

Remember, Nome Solstice 2012. Be there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.