StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FYI -- We're running slightly behind on getting the registration site up. Please be patient.

Xyzzy
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Well, unfortunately for me, I can only be by a computer for another 5 minutes before I'll have to leave it for several hours. I completely understand that it's past noon and things prevent timely uploading. I'll just have to get to it when I can. If it means missing out due to space limitations in 1st class, or economy, that's how it goes.

All the best. I have a sense, and I'm sure it's only a fragment, of all the work you organizers have gone through for this. Thanks for all your efforts.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Email just received from Oliver. New launch time is 12 noon PST, i.e. west coast time. 3pm ET which like From NYC means won't get to a computer/internet connection until well past midnight.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Labor pains?

And all the expectant friends and relatives are nervous as hell!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
This is nice for those who had to shuffle stuff to be around a computer now. Oh well....

Edit: maybe it'll work to register from the Android browser, that's all I'll have for a few hours

Last edited by dre_techie; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Actually, it is several minutes past noon in the Eastern Time zone of NAmerica. Nada.
Hey, we're talking StarMegaDo time

I just got the email too. I talked really fast on a live on-camera interview so I could get back on time , but luckily the new set up time is before I have to head out again so if they don't miss the new deadline too badly, I should be able to sign up before heading out.

Know the guys are working their derrieres off on this & that it will all work out someway, somehow like it always does.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
For those with STEAM coming out of their ears.....relax a little, have a complementary cocktail, put your seat back.....the ride will be smooth, and you know what? We will all live through this "momentary delay."
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by USirritated
For those with STEAM coming out of their ears.....relax a little, have a complementary cocktail, put your seat back.....the ride will be smooth, and you know what? We will all live through this "momentary delay."
:-) You are so right. The work that these guys have to put in is tremendous!! My thanks to them.

It will be SO worth the wait
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Renard
:-) You are so right. The work that these guys have to put in is tremendous!! My thanks to them.

It will be SO worth the wait
EXCEPT the part about the luggage on the charter, that is stressing me out!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
EXCEPT the part about the luggage on the charter, that is stressing me out!
I think they just want one carry-on....correct? or is it one carry-on and a personal item? either way it is just a few days. It will be fine.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by xyzzy
FYI -- We're running slightly behind on getting the registration site up. Please be patient.

Xyzzy
<sigh>

Thanks for all of the effort to get this out to us today, gents!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Renard
I think they just want one carry-on....correct? or is it one carry-on and a personal item? either way it is just a few days. It will be fine.
It is just a few days for SOME people, other people (like me) are continuing on to a business destination, and will have to pack for longer (11 days total in my case), and/or never travel with less than a certain amount for various reasons (also me).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'll be doing the roll-aboard thing, but do understand others' concerns about checked luggage because they are going onwards for bizness or vacation. And fedex'ing a suitcase could get pretty pricey depending on the weight!

Last year was easier because, while the charter was no luggage or carry-on for those joining us in Oslo, we basically were starting/ending in same spot/same hotel. The logistics on this one & length of time are a bit more complicated, both for the organizers and some of the attendees.

I'm sure it will work out somehow. There's plenty of time to get it sorted.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'll be doing the roll-aboard thing, but do understand others' concerns about checked luggage because they are going onwards for bizness or vacation. And fedex'ing a suitcase could get pretty pricey depending on the weight!

Last year was easier because, while the charter was no luggage or carry-on for those joining us in Oslo, we basically were starting/ending in same spot/same hotel. The logistics on this one & length of time are a bit more complicated, both for the organizers and some of the attendees.

Cheers.
Thank you for your calming comment Sharon. (emphasis mine)
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Not necessarily. This could impact decisions on where the charter ends and resumes.

CO's 753 hold 216 people. Most here are not CO FF. I can tell you that 216 - Travelpro 22" rollerbags will not fit in the overhead bins of a CO 753. That assumes all computer bags are under the seats and all keep their coats on (it is November). Maybe they are planning a gate check situation, where overflow bags will be handed off to the cargo hold without formal ramp support.

Plus, individually we need to plan based on this new fact. If you return to IAH (on the return charter) maybe you can check some items with the hotel and pick them up on the return - so there may be a good reason to return to IAH.

My plan is to overnight in IAH on Sat night, stay at same hotel (likely Marriott), and not have to worry about arrival time of charter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.