Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
Whenever I attend conferences I Fed-ex all the stuff I've picked up back home along with anything else I'm not going to need for the rest of the trip. Makes life a lot easier!
I have done that several times for conferences, and a couple of times on pure pleasure trips, and even included my laundry once, which made packing for the return flight home a breeze!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Originally Posted by Shareholder
A general question to anyone: I leave for two weeks in Shanghai on Monday so can someone please tell me if I will have problems accessing Paypal from China? And/or using a PC that isn't one I've accessed PayPal from in the past? Worried the confirming email will arrive while I am there and I cannot get the organizers my deposit within the required time.
Paypal is probably not blocked since in March, they reached an expanded agreement with UnionPay, the monopoly Chinese credit card processor to allow the Chinese to register their cards on Paypal.

If you want to set up a proxy server/VPN service to get around blocking, you could take a look at:
https://www.secure-tunnel.com/
It's $9.95/month after a 1 week free trial. I haven't used them, though it was the service I was going to try in China 2 weeks ago but a friend set up a VPN through his personal server in the US.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
I am sure the boys can make some other arrangement for you, but if not, feel free to send me your pay pal login and password, and I will make sure one of my friends in Nigeria makes the $100 payment for you!
ROFLMAO!!! Hilarious, made my afternoon, so far!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by USirritated
Further, it was rather late in the process, after already committing, that many of us found out that there might be a luggage restriction, so it was a bit of a surprise.
By the way, I meant no slight to the moderators/organizers by my above comment, it was simply meant to let the poster that I was replying to know that I had not planned for that eventuality, because I was not aware of it before booking the DO. As far as I am concerned, the organizers have done a fantastic job, and I was before and continue to be very grateful for all of their hard work and incredible logistical skills! ^

Originally Posted by seacarl
You are welcome to ship the luggage you need for your business trip via UPS or Fedex Ground to my Seattle home and pick it up on Saturday. I imagine you could ship it directly to the Westin, too. It shouldn't cost more than $40 from anywhere in the USA, and if you ship it the Friday before the DO, it will get there in time via ground.
Thank you seacarl, for your great suggestion about shipping to the hotel. A refinement of that, for me and for others who are continuing on, for business or other reasons, after the DO ends in SEA would be to ship the extra luggage directly from our homes, "pre DO," to our "apres DO" destination hotels. In my case that would be the New Orleans Marriott, where I am very friendly with the hotel's "elite coordinator," who I know would be happy to store my luggage until my arrival.

If the organizers are not able to make arrangements for checked luggage on the charter, which would be my preference (and save the cost of shipping a second piece), then that is what I will do, since I will not need those extra items on the DO portion of my trip.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by seacarl
I have colleagues in China. They tell me that people who need full Internet access subscribe to VPN services which bypass Chinese internet filtering. The Chinese government appears to tolerate this as 99.5% of the population cannot afford to subscribe to the VPN service, so the ones with the money to subscribe don't get filtered. So if you can't reach Paypal, see if you can use a VPN.
Originally Posted by fsfguy
Paypal is probably not blocked since in March, they reached an expanded agreement with UnionPay, the monopoly Chinese credit card processor to allow the Chinese to register their cards on Paypal.

If you want to set up a proxy server/VPN service to get around blocking, you could take a look at:
https://www.secure-tunnel.com/
It's $9.95/month after a 1 week free trial. I haven't used them, though it was the service I was going to try in China 2 weeks ago but a friend set up a VPN through his personal server in the US.

Thanks for the tips guys. Just remembered that I will have access to the Canadian government hospitality lounge at Expo which should have a safe, clear internet link. If not, I'll check out those alternative links, or maybe just send my Winnipeg friend, GoldenToque, my PayPal details...
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:12 pm

Any word on mileage for the charter?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:37 pm

So I was interested in this event but I think I've decided that I can only really justify the expense if I tack it onto some business travel. There is a real chance I'll have a business trip to the US around that time of year so I wouldn't say no just yet. But I won't know until it's a lot closer to the day. When will be the last possible day to join assuming there's still space?

Last edited by zkzkz; Jun 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
LH405 has schedule change

LH405 on Nov 1st schedule change:

Was Depart 10:45pm, Arrive 11:10am
Now Depart 10:40pm, Arrive 11:20pm

That is 15 minutes longer. Wonder what that means? A380 is slower than 744.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cova

That is 15 minutes longer.
Probably means nada, nothing, squat. I get change in schedules all the time.

I'd be the first to say I'd love LH suddenly putting the 380 on our route, but think it unlikely.

Nor am I concerned enough about the potential schedule to check it that far in advance. Presumably all of us will get there in time to make the flight & don't have a meeting immediately after landing (well, I might actually have a lunch), so 15 doesn't matter.

And I have this feeling that if by chance LH does put a 380 on that route that day, that tommy/oliver/reb/seth will tell us on this thread & we won't have to guess.

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Nor am I concerned enough about the potential schedule to check it that far in advance. Presumably all of us will get there in time to make the flight & don't have a meeting immediately after landing (well, I might actually have a lunch), so 15 doesn't matter.
Since I am already ticketed, my reservation shows red in the system due to schedule change - which I have to accept to clear the red highlighting.

I am not checking schedules at this point - it was flagged to me.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It was no doubt designed by a lawyer who specializes in small print, and was a most obscurely located, tiny box embedded in a whole section that appeared to be passive and unrelated to what needed to be acted upon actively.
I guess you must have missed the bold letters and the, "READ EVERYTHING," note as well.

Xyzzy
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since I am already ticketed, my reservation shows red in the system due to schedule change - which I have to accept to clear the red highlighting.

I am not checking schedules at this point - it was flagged to me.
Yeah, I get that all the time too on my ressies w/ changes (which are usually minor, such as your 15 minutes).

Unless it says A380 in the schedule change I don't start conjecturing that the reason for a slight flight schedule adjustment is because the 747 is now a 380

xyzzy, I noticed the READ EVERYTHING & did go back & read it. Of course I was so excited to put flight info in, I did forget to check the box & had t go back. Thanks for the alert & not saying hey stoo-pid, ya forgot something & deleting the ressie

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
xyzzy, I noticed the READ EVERYTHING & did go back & read it. Of course I was so excited to put flight info in, I did forget to check the box & had t go back. Thanks for the alert & not saying hey stoo-pid, ya forgot something & deleting the ressie
Hey --I missed it too many, many times while debugging the site.

Xyzzy
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:50 pm

That is 15 minutes longer. Wonder what that means? A380 is slower than 744.
My guess is it is simply the gradual increase in flight times for all flights in major markets due to both US and G20 airport congestion, and NOT due to the relative speeds of the two different aircraft. For the record, the cruising speed of the 747-400 is 570 MPH, and the cruising speed of the A380 is 587MPH, although Airbus characterizes the cruising speed slightly differently from Boeing. The likelihood of LH running an A380 for our JFK to FRA flight is incredibly low, since LH has taken delivery of only ONE A380 as of June 2010.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
My guess is it is simply the gradual increase in flight times for all flights in major markets due to both US and G20 airport congestion, and NOT due to the relative speeds of the two different aircraft. For the record, the cruising speed of the 747-400 is 570 MPH, and the cruising speed of the A380 is 587MPH, although Airbus characterizes the cruising speed slightly differently from Boeing.
I have flown the QF A380 to MEL. Flight times increase about 20 minutes when an A380 flies versus a 744.

LH takes delivery (I believe) of 3 more A380 by years end. Need to analyze the receipt dates and the start up dates of the 3 LH A380 routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.