Reload this Page >

MCI BBQ DO V - April 30 - May 2, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI BBQ DO V - April 30 - May 2, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Add me as another probable - still working out the details (may have to leave mid-afternoon Saturday).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
I'm in

Add me to the confirmed list, please. I have everything booked except my outbound flight (DFW-->MCI).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Yay!

Originally Posted by tmartazu
Add me to the confirmed list, please. I have everything booked except my outbound flight (DFW-->MCI).
Well, that's a step in the right direction! ^
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Change my "Probable" to "Definite"! I just got everything booked - arriving in time for dinner Friday; leaving early Sunday. Staying at the HGI-KC Friday; Hilton Airport Saturday. (Yes, I'm being cheap with my hotel spend on this trip - it makes me feel less screwed-over by all the rental car fees!)

Should I plan to MapQuest/GoogleMap all the potential venues, or is someone planning on creating maps/directions for all of us?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
speaking of transportation...

I assume that everyone drives to the locations we'll be visiting? If so, and someone has room, I would be willing to share the rental car fee and gasoline expenses since I won't have a rental car.

I'll be staying at The Westin Crown Center, by the way.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Being a stupid boy, I booked hotels near the airport and discover
that I'm on nonrefundable rates ... and there's scanty public trans.

Anyone else out in that general direction?

Michael
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Change my "Probable" to "Definite"! I just got everything booked - arriving in time for dinner Friday; leaving early Sunday. Staying at the HGI-KC Friday; Hilton Airport Saturday. (Yes, I'm being cheap with my hotel spend on this trip - it makes me feel less screwed-over by all the rental car fees!)

Should I plan to MapQuest/GoogleMap all the potential venues, or is someone planning on creating maps/directions for all of us?
I can work on the directions for the venues. That shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Not that it makes that much difference, but I may be +1. I'm currently ticketed on Southwest for Saturday morning like last year (in time to go straight to OK Joe's), and I'm on a relatively late flight home on Sunday.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I assume that everyone drives to the locations we'll be visiting? If so, and someone has room, I would be willing to share the rental car fee and gasoline expenses since I won't have a rental car.

I'll be staying at The Westin Crown Center, by the way.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I'm happy to drive people around as follows:

Friday evening after Jack Stack - I'm going to the HGI on Minnesota Ave in KC KS, but I'm sure I could be talked into detouring wherever. If I mis-connect en route, I won't get to Jack Stack until well after 9:00.

Saturday I hope to squeeze in the Negro Leagues Museum either before or after the mid-afternoon snack (with anyone who wants to join me); again, I could probably be talked into bringing folks to OK Joe's. After dinner I will be heading out fairly early to my airport hotel (very early flight home Sunday).

Feel free to PM me with ride requests, but note that I won't be online much in the next couple of weeks.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:43 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Last year was my first trip to Kansas City. Armed with a GPS, I found it very easy to find all the stops on the BBQ tour. The Jack Stack we go to is probably the easiest to find and the Gates and Arthur Bryant's are on the same street. Oklahoma Joe's isn't to hard to find, either. LC's was a little tricky only in that it's a little outside of Downtown and there aren't a lot of landmarks along the way.

We found time to hit both the Negro League and Jazz museums between Oklahoma Joe's and Arthur Bryant's.

I did a side trip to drive around Independence and checked out the Truman Presidential Library and surrounding area.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I did a side trip to drive around Independence and checked out the Truman Presidential Library and surrounding area.
I did the Truman Library on that Sunday - it takes about two hours if you go very leisurely. I'm looking for something to do on Sunday this year as my flight isn't until the evening. Of course, the default is playing poker at Harrah's.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The Nelson-Atkins art museum is an unexpected treat. It has pretty much everything, and the new wing is architecturally interesting and has intriguing new stuff. It's also free! although the underground parking costs. I just don't get the Kemper except the gift shop.

Negro Baseball Hall of Fame is also really well done and very interesting. Except for the gift shop. YMMV.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: Free Agent
Please add a +3 next to my name. Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Condition One
Please add a +3 next to my name. Thanks!
Very nice!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by violist
Being a stupid boy, I booked hotels near the airport and discover
that I'm on nonrefundable rates ... and there's scanty public trans.

Anyone else out in that general direction?

Michael
Don't feel bad: there's no real public transit anywhere in KC. (A couple of limited public bus services is about it...) We vote on public transit once every couple years - last time we even passed it! - but nothing ever gets done. Come back in 50 years...maybe we'll have light rail to the airport then, but probably not.

The good news is that Alamo still has $15/day cars for that weekend. (Maybe cheaper with the right discounts/coupons.) Taxes are a beast but it still shouldn't be too bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.