Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy
[COLOR="Blue"]There is an option on CO that now you can choose a CO e-cert when cancelling a refundable ticket. However, no one has reported trying it. Either you are willing to take this risk or you look for a non-refundable fare.
There was an option, but I can't find it right now. I was dealing with a fully refundable ticket, though. You can cancel your itinerary and then use the same record locator to use the credit from that ticket to fund a new one. At that point, a non-refundable ticket should refund to a travel certificate. You can go 99% of the way through the process and choose to abort. You don't even have to cancel the itinerary first if you don't want to. If you have a problem, agents can definitely issue travel certificates.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Moderator Hat On

A lot of great information here. Unless there's a strenuous objection, this seems like a good place to start a sticky. Let's see what develops. Thanks for all the hard work!

Moderator Hat Off
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Moderator Hat On

A lot of great information here. Unless there's a strenuous objection, this seems like a good place to start a sticky. Let's see what develops. Thanks for all the hard work!

Moderator Hat Off
^
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:41 pm

have about 370k so that means I have to do 4 x 90k ? is that the best way to cash out? thats a lot of airline money ....

btw, I am sure this mentioned somewhere, after we get credit (e voucher cause I am chasing DL), we can use it to book domestic or intl ticket right?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:45 pm

Ok guys here is a ticket on Delta that comes to $2709. Look it up on Expedia.

Portland (PDX)-Albany (ABY) Onward 11/22/09 630AM, Return 11/25/09 6AM

Just booked this. Taxes are $230. I booked in Nov because I wanted to be able to change the ticket (and start the one year clock) a bit later. Travel center hold was about 40 minutes
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
No. You have to buy 2 tickets. The table of points level and Value CAP has been posted multiple times on this forum, as well as in the FAQ of Reward / Travel on TYN.

You will be much better off to UNDERSTAND the rules before you jump into this, and then mess it up.
You don't have to buy 2 tickets with 180k points. It's completely possible to get one business class ticket to Europe w/ a base value as close to $5400 and then get a voucher from that one ticket. I don't see why you can only do this deal with 90k - any business class redemption level allows for a value of up to 3 cpp, so if someone wants to do a larger redemption that's their call. It is however important to stick w/ US carriers to avoid high taxes and fees.

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 7, 2009 at 7:37 pm Reason: grammar error
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sparkzone
have about 370k so that means I have to do 4 x 90k ? is that the best way to cash out? thats a lot of airline money ....

btw, I am sure this mentioned somewhere, after we get credit (e voucher cause I am chasing DL), we can use it to book domestic or intl ticket right?
See my above post regarding your first question - you can redeem at higher levels as well and have less tickets to cancel.

And, yes the voucher can be used for domestic and international travel.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by needdealsnow
I noticed those flights include a few legs operated by Atlantic Southeast and Skywest Airlines. Will those segments be properly credited to a Delta voucher?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
Hello,
just found a United z fare mfrom denver to SIN. 250 change fee , base price 7208 (8 bucks to much so the ticket comes out to 245000...) Flights i booked are in april
jr
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:34 am

Quote:

"There is NO terms and conditions of the travel vouchers if you are talking about TYN - because there is NO travel vouchers issued by TYN.

You can redeem your TYP for any airline's ticket, but as posted multiple times on many TYP related threads, EACH AIRLINE HAS ITS OWN POLICY REGARDING RESIDUAL VALUE FROM CANCELLED TICKETS. Some are easy to use some are not. Some requires you use the full value all at one purchase, and for the original passenger ONLY, such as AS."

This is exactly what I was trying to find out - the policies of the airlines regarding residual value from cancelled tickets. I have looked on the airline websites regarding ticket changes and these policies are not spelled out. Is there any place I can find them? I hate to rely upon a phone representative to give me absolutely correct information, since I have been misinformed in the past.

And yes, I did read all the threads - but please understand that I have never done this before ....
Thanks to all who have been patient with my questions.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
start the clock when?

Just booked this. Taxes are $230. I booked in Nov because I wanted to be able to change the ticket (and start the one year clock) a bit later. Travel center hold was about 40 minutes
I remain confused . does the one year clock start now , when the origional ticket is issued?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
I have more information to add for United:

Vouchers clearly state they are only valid on United and United Express metal flights. Even codeshares are not officially allowed. I have read some reports about "asking nicely" and being able to do it, but that is at your own risk.

Also, is there anyway we could move this to some sort of actual wiki which we can all edit?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:05 am

Thanks for posting this. However, when i try to pull this itenary up, i see the fare rules have multiple cancellation fee for each segment, here are the fare rules:

# Please note that the most restrictive set of rules applies to your entire itinerary.
# Portland, OR (PDX-Portland Intl.) to New York, NY (JFK-John F. Kennedy Intl.)
Tickets are nonrefundable. A fee of $150.00 per ticket will be charged for itinerary changes after the tickets are issued, provided that the booking rules were followed.
# New York, NY (JFK-John F. Kennedy Intl.) to Albany, GA (ABY-Southwest Georgia Regional)
A fee of $100.00 per ticket will be charged for itinerary changes after the tickets are issued, provided that the booking rules were followed.
# Albany, GA (ABY-Southwest Georgia Regional) to Atlanta, GA (ATL-All Airports)
Tickets are nonrefundable. A fee of $150.00 per ticket will be charged for itinerary changes after the tickets are issued, provided that the booking rules were followed.
# Atlanta, GA (ATL-All Airports) to Salt Lake City, UT (SLC-Salt Lake City Intl.)
# Salt Lake City, UT (SLC-Salt Lake City Intl.) to Portland, OR (PDX-Portland Intl.)
# In addition to any penalties imposed by the airline, a processing fee of up to $30.00 per ticket will be charged by Expedia for any changes you make to the flights in this itinerary.

As per my understanding of above terms, total the cancellation fee is 150+100+150+150+150 = $700.

Experts please comment.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ocpmach
Thanks for posting this. However, when i try to pull this itenary up, i see the fare rules have multiple cancellation fee for each segment, here are the fare rules:

As per my understanding of above terms, total the cancellation fee is 150+100+150+150+150 = $700.

Experts please comment.
No - the most restrictive fare rules will apply. This means that *one* of them will apply, not *all* of them. Your cancellation fee should be $150. Good luck!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
You don't have to buy 2 tickets with 180k points. It's completely possible to get one business class ticket to Europe w/ a base value as close to $5400 and then get a voucher from that one ticket. I don't see why you can only do this deal with 90k - any business class redemption level allows for a value of up to 3 cpp, so if someone wants to do a larger redemptionthat's their call. It is however important to stick w/ US carriers to avoid high taxes and fees.
The reply for 2 tickets is because OP wants to do the $2700 90K variety.

Of course you can do all kind of options, it is just that the value cap posted some challenges when you try to redeem International travel in business class - AND the taxes and fuel surcharges make it a quite expensive UPFRONT out of pocket costs.

On top of that, the cancelling / getting ticket value credit is a whole new ballgame with the foreign carriers. There were quite some people got burned by redeeming tickets issued by Lufthansa in the last devaluation round.

There are many reasons why the 90K is being used by so many people who know the rules.

If people, especially those who just come upon this, want to re-invent the wheel, they are more than welcome to test the new ground and then come back to share their experiences.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 7, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.