Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
things are always changing , so what's the latest.
I applied for the Citi Professional Mastercard 60 days ago. I have not applied for any other Citi cards for 5 months.
I'd like to apply for a Citi AAdvantage personal card asap.

the Professional card shows up on the Citi Card web site under both , general consumer and business sections. Since this next application will be for a personal card , should I go for it , or waite for the 90th day?

www.citicards.com
Business and Personal are independant of each other. Go for it. If you are concerned about having 2 Mastercards (although they allow multiple Mastercards), then go for the Citi AAdvantage Amex.

Enjoy your miles, just make sure to spend $750 in 4 months...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The Professional is a hybrid of a Personal and Business, but I think it falls in the personal "bucket". When I got the personal Platinum Amex last month they let me move credit limits from my Professional, but not from my Business cards.

This might be a case where you want to call and ask first and not waste the inquiry.

For anyone looking for some bonus TYPs, here are a couple offers with 15K bonus points on first purchase that don't show up on the citi main site any more, but still seem active:

Professional

Business W/ TYN
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:44 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
O T

Please do not flame me as I have tried to search. Could someone post a link to the thread that details the procedure to cancel a Citi card online. Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ned
Please do not flame me as I have tried to search. Could someone post a link to the thread that details the procedure to cancel a Citi card online. Thanks
It's easier for me to re-explain it than to find an existing thread and the right post in the middle of it.
  • You need to log into your Citicards account.
  • Then select the card that you want to cancel (so that you're viewing information such as Current Activity for that card only, not the summary of all your accounts, and not any other card).
  • With the card you want to cancel selected, go to the Help & Contact Us menu at the top of the page and select Email Customer Service.
  • Click on Send A New Message.
  • For Topic, select Account - Other.
  • For subject, something like "please cancel Amex card ending in 0000".
  • Make sure your email address is correct (it should be filled in automatically).
  • In the Message, just say something like "Please cancel my Amex card ending in 0000. Thank you."
  • Click Send Message.
  • You may not get any response, but within a business day or two when you go back to your summary of accounts you will see the red "this card has been closed" message for the card in quesiton.
  • If they do reply to you, they will not exactly reply by email. They'll reply in your online message center, and at most send you an email saying that you have a new message in your online message center.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:20 am

Regarding the Citi AA Business card, I understand that the wait is 90 days; however, I recently had an odd thing occur. I cancelled my business card and re-applied a few days later. I received an e-mail stating that I could not have two business card accounts, so my new account application was denied. My guess is that Citi's system did not update indicating that my first account was closed. As such, I waited a week and re-applied. This time I received the "no application in 90 day" e-mail. Ant thoughts on how long I should now wait? I'm thinking about sitting out for another 90 days, unless someone has other thoughts.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by TTT103
Regarding the Citi AA Business card, I understand that the wait is 90 days; however, I recently had an odd thing occur. I cancelled my business card and re-applied a few days later. I received an e-mail stating that I could not have two business card accounts, so my new account application was denied. My guess is that Citi's system did not update indicating that my first account was closed. As such, I waited a week and re-applied. This time I received the "no application in 90 day" e-mail. Ant thoughts on how long I should now wait? I'm thinking about sitting out for another 90 days, unless someone has other thoughts.
Anytime you apply for a card whether its a personal or business card you are limited to 1 bus card application every 90 days, and 2 personal cards every 60 days (some report only 1 card every 60 days). It does not matter if the application was acepted or declined, the clock starts with each application. You must now wait 90 days for the date your rejected application was submitted.

Jim
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:50 am

Regarding canceling - calling may be more profitable. I called to cancel a Citi Business card a few weeks ago and they offered me a $75 statement credit to keep it open. There is no annual fee, so a free $75 is good. ^
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tev9999
Regarding canceling - calling may be more profitable. I called to cancel a Citi Business card a few weeks ago and they offered me a $75 statement credit to keep it open. There is no annual fee, so a free $75 is good. ^
I thought you could only cancel personal cards on line?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
The automated citibank system is sometimes more harsh when it comes to the 60 or 90 day rule... Call up the bankcard center (application inquiry number) and ask them to combine your applications or something... They will see that the first application didn't go through because it thought (erroneously) that you still had an open citi business card... Worth a shot!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Anytime you apply for a card whether its a personal or business card you are limited to 1 bus card application every 90 days, and 2 personal cards every 60 days (some report only 1 card every 60 days). It does not matter if the application was acepted or declined, the clock starts with each application. You must now wait 90 days for the date your rejected application was submitted.

Jim
Thanks...I'll wait 90 days.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 300k Lifetime Miles, WN Rapid Rewards
Here are all the rules as I understand them from reading all the threads - for the sake of clarification for both myself and everyone else on the board, here's what I have gathered:

() No more than 1 app. for Citi Personal or Amex every 60 days (regardless of approval)
() No more than 1 app. for Citi Business MC every 90 days (regardless of approval)
() No more than 5 total Citi cards active at one time (and it's a bad idea to cancel a card before your miles show up at AA)...Edit: There seem to be people who are successfully able to hold 6 Citi cards at one time.
() No more than 6 Citi hard pulls *per credit reporting agency* every 6 months (7+ in 6 months is high-risk...Edit: On the same report *only*, plus other banks *do* count *if* they report to the same agency that Citi does.)

So here is my thinking. If I apply for all 3 cards every 97 days, I won't run into any problems with the first two rules. If I cancel at least 1 of the 3 cards (although preferably all 3; by hitting that $750 within the first billing cycle by prepaying things I would have bought anyway, or buying those $1 coins from the US Mint) before I apply for the next 3, I won't have more than 5 Citi cards out at a time, so I won't run into any problems with the third rule. (I don't have any other Citi cards nor do I plan to apply for any other Citi cards besides the 3 AA ones.) And if I do my 3 applications every 97 days as opposed to every <90 days, in any given 6 month period, I'll only have 3 hard pulls from Citi show up on my credit report, so I won't end up in the "high risk" category when I apply -- although I'm aware the total number of inquiries shows up on my credit report, and might have a small impact on my credit score; my score is otherwise solid and I'm not too worried.

Oh, and on my last applications (October 2008), they hard-pulled Equifax only. So Experian and Transunion hard-pulls from other banks don't count towards the limits....I didn't have any though.

If I made an incorrect assumption or if I'm missing something please let me know!

Last edited by mrosson; Nov 5, 2008 at 3:05 pm Reason: editing the rules
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Mrs. CandymanJim and I never have any issues each getting 2 personal cards every 60 days, EACH. My excel spreadsheet has not let me down yet, in fact we are at 62 now for our next cards, but will give it a couple more days.

Jim
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:54 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Thumbs up

You are an inspiration!^

Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mrosson
() No more than 5 total Citi cards active at one time (and it's a bad idea to cancel a card before your miles show up at AA)
I have six active Citi cards right now:

Platinum Select MC
Platinum Amex
Professional MC
Business MC
Business MC with TYN
Associated Bank Visa Platinum (issued by Citi)

The Associated is a personal card but falls in a different area than the others, so five "true Citi" cards might be true. The Associated is really only useful for 0% balance transfers.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
No more than 6 Citi hard pulls every 6 months (7+ in 6 months is high-risk

As far as I am aware - it is up to 7 inquiries in a 6 month period from ANY bank - not just CITI - so you need to see which agency Citi is pulling for you (used to be TU for me, but since June is Experian) - then you need to see what the other banks are pulling - unfortunately for me it seems Chase, BofA, Amex and US Bank all pull Experian - so this has made me slow down my churns with the other banks, as I prefer to get my full allotment of AA cards from Citi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.