Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by philemer
Many have reported that you must wait 90 days from your last Business card approval. YMMV, of course. It's a crap shoot, isn't it? Wife and I apply for one new personal card every 32-40 days and haven't had a problem yet. Knock on wood.
I know. But it had been 90+ days since the personal apps, and 60+ days since the biz app. And I applied for 2 personals. I'll probably wait until January at this point anyway and see what the offers are then. I've canceled all but one account as of now and will use it pretty much only for buying gas at CostCo for now.

Way off topic - I miss the free GPS for a Discover card and would love that to come back.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:55 am

what's the max total credit limit from CITI for an individual with about 70k/year?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by financeprof
what's the max total credit limit from CITI for an individual with about 70k/year?
I doubt if anyone here can really answer that question. It is more complicated than you think. There are loads of other factors, importantly, your current debt, monthly payments, the length of you credit history and some more.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jeelele
I doubt if anyone here can really answer that question. It is more complicated than you think. There are loads of other factors, importantly, your current debt, monthly payments, the length of you credit history and some more.

All of which is further complicated by Citi's current "tight" situation.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:59 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by jeelele
Ok... So I have a forward card with 3500CL another dividends card with 2400... I don't have too much spendings on them 500/month, I guess... My credit history is not long too, just 15 months... So should I cancel one of them to begin my "churning career"?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:08 pm

Ok... So I have a forward card with 3500CL another dividends card with 2400... I don't have too much spendings on them 500/month, I guess... My credit history is not long too, just 15 months... So should I cancel one of them to begin my "churning career"?
You're fretting. Just apply for another card, shoot for the 30K AA cards, and see what happens. Most importantly, let us know your results, since you posted here. Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
well... looks like citi (at least citibusiness) is definitely tightening the belt.

I've churned 2 business cards within the last year... applied for one in Nov '08 and canceled after getting the bonus miles and waiting about 4 months. Then applied and approved for another in June '09, got the miles, and canceled early October. I just applied last week for another Business MC, and got an email rejection saying that I had too many applications.

I called in since I was a bit confused - its been way more than 90 days since my last app, and the lady on the line told me that I had opened and closed 2 accounts within a year. And they rejected me for that reason.

Looks like I won't be churning the business cards anytime soon =\
Anybody else with similar experiences?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Kohoutek
You're fretting. Just apply for another card, shoot for the 30K AA cards, and see what happens. Most importantly, let us know your results, since you posted here. Good luck.
Of course... I tried one two months ago, denied because lack of enough credit history. Now I think I meet the requirement, and I am going to try another one next week in early Nov.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:26 am

Ugh. I hope I'm not doomed to have only 10 bonuses. I definitely didn't do this frequently enough over the past few years. If I had known earlier how easy it was to cancel by email, I probably would have. Anyways, I too got the maximum credit to an individual denial on the Visa. I'm only at about a fourth of my HHI. I'll wait and see if the bonuses continue before trying again. Maybe the lower required limit for the AMEX will help. What is the waiting time for reapplying after denial?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Of course... I tried one two months ago, denied because lack of enough credit history. Now I think I meet the requirement, and I am going to try another one next week in early Nov.
Good luck! Keep us updated.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by glu800
well... looks like citi (at least citibusiness) is definitely tightening the belt.

I've churned 2 business cards within the last year... applied for one in Nov '08 and canceled after getting the bonus miles and waiting about 4 months. Then applied and approved for another in June '09, got the miles, and canceled early October. I just applied last week for another Business MC, and got an email rejection saying that I had too many applications.

I called in since I was a bit confused - its been way more than 90 days since my last app, and the lady on the line told me that I had opened and closed 2 accounts within a year. And they rejected me for that reason.

Looks like I won't be churning the business cards anytime soon =\
Anybody else with similar experiences?
Looks like we're back to the YMMV thing, as I'm on my third Biz AA card since Sept. '08. First one applied for Sept. '08, closed Jan. '09, second one applied for May '09, closed July '09, third one applied for Sept. '09, and still open. I plan to keep card #3 for a while; prolly call in for a retension bonus. I also plan to apply for Biz card #4, when I feel like it.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
My credit history is not long too, just 15 months... So should I cancel one of them to begin my "churning career"?
Since the length of your credit history is a factor in your FICO score, I don't think you should close your existing cards.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:25 pm

Another data point similar to the ones before. It's been 65 days since I applied for 2 personal and 1 biz cards. Today tried applying for AA MC and Amex, got to the screen "application received" after clicking through that page got a site error in both cases. Called in and was declined both times due to too many credit inquiries. I was kind of expecting that to happen anyway. So like others will wait a few months and keep an eye on the developments.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by friedice
Another data point similar to the ones before. It's been 65 days since I applied for 2 personal and 1 biz cards. Today tried applying for AA MC and Amex, got to the screen "application received" after clicking through that page got a site error in both cases. Called in and was declined both times due to too many credit inquiries. I was kind of expecting that to happen anyway. So like others will wait a few months and keep an eye on the developments.
You haven't been monitoring your credit inquiries, and the number thereof, o'er the last year. Yes? Surely, this ground rule has been discussed in this thread, but I may be wrong. Anyway, best of luck with your future churning.

Two personal, then 1 biz apps, in that order, right on.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Originally Posted by glu800

I just applied for the Amex and MC and was deined on both for "Too many accounts opened within the last 12 months as reported on your credit report."

Note that this does not site credit inquiries, but accounts opened.

I last applied for both cards in August, well over 60 days ago.

I called on one denial and they would not give me any information other than, my credit report showed too many open accounts, and not necessarily with them. I have a 740 credit score, one auto loan and three open credit card accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.