Wiki Posts
Search

Death Of The Citi Dividend Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, EVA
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by joelmeu
Actually, I got the same call that *one* of my two Dividend cards had been compromised. When I spoke to a customer service representative, she indicated that MasterCard had informed them that my card was one of many that had been "possibly compromised". I asked if it was one of those situations where a whole bunch of credit card numbers get stolen out of someone's database. She affirmed that it was something like that. So who knows what really happened...
I got my "reduced" notice in August/September.

I also got the call from Citibank last week saying my card has been compromised. The first CSR refused to discuss w/ me why they thought so after I told her I did use my card in several places (CA, OR, MI) and didn't want them to make any mistake. (This is one of the oldest credit cards I have). She insisted she didn't have to disclose anything with me and threatened it would be my full responsibility if I didn't close it on the same day. I told her “I will check with consumer bureau for my right if the credit card company can just close my account without telling me why”. She responded “that’s your call” and hanged up

After calling back to complain to the supervisor, I got the same answer that it was MasterCard who told them to close my account. Some database with my credit card number in it has been compromised. This also surprised me since I’ve been using Virtual Account Number after it was launched long time ago.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
It's easy to get more Cashback Bonus every time you fill up at the pump with our Discover Platinum Gas Card.

And you'll receive 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months and no annual fee.

You get these great features with the Discover Platinum Gas Card:

America's #1 Cash Rewards Program*

Full 5% Cashback Bonus on gas purchases
Up to 1% Cashback Bonus on all your other purchases
Unlimited cash rewards that never expire
Citi Driver's Edge
Earn
border=0 6% rebates on supermarkets, drugstores, and gas stations for 12 months, 3% after that§
border=0 1% rebates on other purchases
border=0 Rebates for the miles you drive

Plus the Fidelity Visa Signature, this is probably the best combo, of curse this can also be a 3 card combo of Citi Drivers,Fidelity,and Costco True Earning Amex which gives 2% on travel,3% on dining and 1% rest.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:03 pm

An update, I got a letter recently that said when they sent me my new card ---this was after when they called me to say it had been compromised---that they had sent the wrong T&C and wrong info on rebate program. and that this letter serve as the new T&C and rebate program details--- naturally it was the 2% downgrade

the problem is they never sent me before what they just sent, and the only thing they sent before (new card mailer) was a little 8pt font blurb on my new card paper that said 2% for x merchants, but I assumed that did not apply to me as they had not given me 30dayd notice.

So did they properly notify me in 30 days before change to T&C with this follow-up error letter, could I complain to them?

Did anyone else get this error correction follow-up letter?

P.S. Don't go for the Juniper Bank Gulf Platinum Mastercard with no max rebate (gas rebate at Gulf), they are violating federal reserve EFT law and not crediting payments promptly, but delaying them such that they post close to or after the due date. I menton this as this card is one for the few with a no max cash/gas back feature (3% Gulf only, 1% all else except other gas which you get nothing)
Old Dec 13, 2006, 1:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
I still have the 5%. I have the college version and I never received a letter from them in the mail or a phone call. Statement of a few days ago still reflects the 5%.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Still getting 5%. Still no letter.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:09 pm

This is Citibank's reply from today, Jan 1, 2007:

Customer Service Wrote:

Our records indicate that your account is eligible to earn 1% Dividend Dollars on all purchases and extra 4% on purchases made at gas stations, supermarkets and drug stores.

I have had the card for about a year and a few days now.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Citi seems to be sending another round of "enhancement" notices

I got mine this week. Pretty much the same as the OP. Instead of 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores, 2%. The "enhancement" spin is still that you get 2% at convenience stores and utilities (but not phone).

My effective "enhancement" date is 4/15.

It is my intention to cancel this card as soon as my Dividend balance exceeds $50 again so that I may request a check. I will then start using my Chase 5%-back card that has been sitting idle for 18 months ready for just this situation.

to Citi.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
I got mine this week. Pretty much the same as the OP. Instead of 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores, 2%. The "enhancement" spin is still that you get 2% at convenience stores and utilities (but not phone).

My effective "enhancement" date is 4/15.

It is my intention to cancel this card as soon as my Dividend balance exceeds $50 again so that I may request a check. I will then start using my Chase 5%-back card that has been sitting idle for 18 months ready for just this situation.

to Citi.
I don't use this card, but my parents do and they got the same letter yesterday. Any suggestions on a new card for them with a similar benefit?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I don't use this card, but my parents do and they got the same letter yesterday. Any suggestions on a new card for them with a similar benefit?
The quick answer (for me and your parents) is to use the rewards calculator at Credit Card Tune-Up: Maximize Your Rewards to see which rewards card will pay them the most for their spending profile. You just plug in how much you spend on gas, groceries, restaurants, travel, etc. and it calculates your earnings with the various rewards cards. It also calculates the best combinations of cards for your spending pattern.

I ended up replacing my Citi Dividend card with the Citi Driver's Edge card.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:08 pm

Thanks. I will take a look at it tomorrow.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got around to calling Citi to cancel my Dividend card (I haven't used it since the 5% rebate went away last year). The cancel desk lady offered to "upgrade" my card to some new product: I forget what she called it, but it will pay me 5% back on the gas, groceries and drug store purchases for a year (when the bonus will apparently be reduced). It's no fee, of course. Instead of saving up credits for a check, you can get the savings taken off your bill as an adjustment (you can also take it in gift cards, but I don't know why you would).

While I don't like to sign up for short term promotions, I figured a year with the 5% rebate would be worthwhile. So I did it. The complete rules are supposed to come with the card, and I'll let folks know what they're calling this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.