Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death Of The Citi Dividend Card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
USAA offers a 10% cash back MC for gas purchases, the only catch is you have to be in the military.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by themicah
Also note that many grocery stores and gas stations don't accept Amex.
Except for a VERY small percentage (under 1%) of grocery stores and gas stations that I've been to (in different parts of the country), all have taken AX (along with the usual MC/VI)!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
USAA offers a 10% cash back MC for gas purchases, the only catch is you have to be in the military.
Well, not IN the military, but somehow connected to the military including prior service or service of a parent. I suspect at least a quarter of the readers of this board qualify.

I myself received that offer, and I recall there was a catch (benefits were reduced after a few months). I threw out the mailing, but I guess I'll now call to learn the details.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
It's easy to get more Cashback Bonus every time you fill up at the pump with our Discover Platinum Gas Card.

Full 5% Cashback Bonus on gas purchases
Up to 1% Cashback Bonus on all your other purchases
Unlimited cash rewards that never expire
Note the 5% is ONLY on gas (not groceries or drugstores). And Discover is less accepted than VI/MC/AX.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Note the 5% is ONLY on gas (not groceries or drugstores). And Discover is less accepted than VI/MC/AX.
I have this card and it's been great for gas purchases, but I received a letter with a change in terms. I think from November you'll get the 5% for the first $1,200 in gas purchases and 1% for all purchases beyond this amount per year. I guess I'll have to keep track of this limit every year and switch over to Starwood for the rest of the yearly gas purchases.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called USAA and the best offer they apparently have is on their new AMEX card. It's 5% on gas, groceries and drugs, but only for 6 months. After that, the rebate is pretty lame (i.e., would not appeal to an AMEX Starwood card holder).
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Mariott Gold, Shangri-la Jade, Hotels.com Gold (does that count?); DL, AA, B6, VX, SPG
I am a USAA member. The 5% is only for gas. There is no 10% rebate, not sure where the poster is pulling this info from.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frcabot
I am a USAA member. The 5% is only for gas. There is no 10% rebate, not sure where the poster is pulling this info from.
And only for 6 months, right?

It would be worth carrying the card (for free) if you could get 5% off gas (like $2.50 a fill-up) indefinitely.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:07 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by threedjmay
This has really upset mesince i have been a loyal card user since the card was introduced and I will cancel this card because of this cutback

I too have had my Dividend card for some time--since about 1992 when it was 2% on everything with no cap (at least not that I ever hit). Over the years I have milked the card for about $7K. Thanks Citibank, but alas, I will not be using your card much anymore.

It will fall under the "What have you done for me lately." category. If the answer is "nothing" then I'll fire you.

OK, so I will still keep the card open only because of the huge impact that average account age has on a FICO score, but I don't see myself using it more than once a year on the dollar menu at the McDonalds drive-through.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushback
OK, so I will still keep the card open only because of the huge impact that average account age has on a FICO score, but I don't see myself using it more than once a year on the dollar menu at the McDonalds drive-through.
Does it make that much of a difference? I've been a continuous AMEX card holder for a couple decades, but I tend to shuffle my Visa/Mastercards pretty regularly. I haven't noticed an impact on my credit score because of it.

I don't really blame Citibank for changing the rules. I mean, it's pretty nutty to offer a 5% rebate, and I'm sure they had LOTS of people (like the readers of this board!) who simply took the rebate at the pumps and the grocery store, paid their balances off in full every month, and then used another card for their other purchases.

So it's just business. I'll be promptly cancelling my card (I guess I'll have to see what the rules are regarding claiming my rebate -- they might require you to have at least $50 owed, and coincidentally I just had a check cut last month), and we'll see if they're willing to sweeten the rebate when I call to cancel.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
next best option

for those who are canceling, what are next best options out there? I had been using a spg amex for most of my purchases; using citi div for groceries and fidelity for other visa/mc. With the recent change, maybe it'll be a push between amex or citi div for groceries, gas, et.al. but i don't really see a much more compelling visa/mc option out there or am i wrong?

thanks
DrG
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:08 am

If you got a Chase Cash Rewards Plus or Chase Rewards Plus card both are still earning 5% back in everyday spending. CS claims people who got the cards before they stopped offering them are grandfathered. Some people on Fatwallet.com claim Chase has started talking apps over the phone again for Chase Cash Rewards Plus again. But no one is sure as it maybe possible the call center in india is paid based on apps taken and thoses people are just lieing and people really wont recieve thoses cards. Also people on Fatwallet.com has reported threating to cancel Chase cards and the retention department has offered to switch them over to Chase Cash Rewards Plus program.

There is also some hidden apps links to get both cards except some people who have applied for the card via thoses links seems to be getting Chase Flexiable Rewards card which is a straight 1% now while others are getting the card they applied for so maybe depending on the credit person who handles your account opening determines if he noticed you applied for a card no longer offered or gives you a differnt card or lets you get the card you applied for.

Chase Flexiable Rewards Plus card earns 6%/1% first year and then becomes 3%/1% after first year. Not sure how long this card will last as it no longer even on Chase Webpage but can be applied for over the phone still.

Then HSBC has 5%/1% card which is still accepting new application just not sure how long this card will last or stay in it current form as HSBC is a sub prime lender.

The Grandfather idea is very possible. When Chase First intruduced Prefect Card it was a straight 1% no tiers. Then they re-launch it with tiers and old cards members where grandfathered with no tiers. Then chase re-launched it again as 3%/1% card no tiers 3% at gas stations. People who had older chase cards had to call to enroll in newer version if they wanted it or could keep there older program. Then it was re-launched as 3%/1% in all EDS. Same thing again. Then it was re-launched as 1% no tiers card.

So Chase has a record of letting people keep the rewards program they signed up and grandfathering them in that program as long as they keep there accounts current and in good standing. I know past history means nothing as Chase has no obligation to do so but atleast it gives some credibility to CS reps telling people they will be grandfathered in with there current offers.

Last edited by dolmar; Aug 28, 2006 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
for those who are canceling, what are next best options out there? I had been using a spg amex for most of my purchases; using citi div for groceries and fidelity for other visa/mc. With the recent change, maybe it'll be a push between amex or citi div for groceries, gas, et.al. but i don't really see a much more compelling visa/mc option out there or am i wrong?
Read the whole thread. There are some good links.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by dolmar
If you got a Chase Cash Rewards Plus or Chase Rewards Plus card both are still earning 5% back in everyday spending. CS claims people who got the cards before they stopped offering them are grandfathered.
There's a link post #10 above that seems to still be active for these Chase cards.

Then HSBC has 5%/1% card which is still accepting new application just not sure how long this card will last or stay in it current form as HSBC is a sub prime lender.
HSBC is NOT a subprime lender. They are one of the world's foremost financial institutions. They recently acquired some credit card issuers in the US that specialize in lending to folks with bad credit, but HSBC itself is a solid bank, not some fly-by-night operation.

The HSBC 5% card is also linked above in Post #10 of this thread.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:19 am

i closed my chase bank account this weekend after getting my $50 for opening the account and holding it for a year. they branch manager was telling me about the chase cash rewards card - still 5% back and still taking applications. he said chase corporate has been getting a lot of people signing up since Citi starting informing customers of the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.