Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death Of The Citi Dividend Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by themicah
Do you carry a balance? What percentage of your spending is on non-5% category stuff?
Never carry a balance. Less than 1% on non-5% purchases (and then, only by mistake).

Last edited by ohmark; Oct 3, 2006 at 10:05 am
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:40 pm

CITI does not automatically change you.

I have a citibank Drivers edge card that is still earning 2% for all purchases even though they changed the earning structure for it a year ago. I often wonder if I would be better in the new structure. I figure changes are usually to screw the customer not to help him.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
I wonder if their decision is based on actual usage. I used mine for gas/groceries/pharmacy only. I got the letter. They were probably losing big money on my account.

Oh well, I just moved that spending somewhere else.
Me too. I used to use it for everything, but since I got an AAdvantage MC, I only used the Dividend Card for gas and groceries. I have about $26 of cash reward there. If I close the account, will I be able to get the $26 or will I lose it?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 5:45 am

"we are adding convenience stores and utilities including cable,* to the above list."

What is the definition of convenience stores?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by joelmeu
The recent changes to the cash back rewards of the Citi Dividend MasterCard prompted me to do some personal analysis to find the best mix of cashback cards for my spending patterns.

That personal analysis inspired me to build a general-purpose tool to help anyone determine the single best card or mix of N cards that will maximize their cashback rewards. You just plug in how much you spend each month (broken out by categories for best results) and you're presented with a list of recommended cards sorted from best to worst by your expected annual reward. If having more than one card and using each card to its strengths could yield a greater total reward, then each combination of the Best N cards is presented as well.

You can see the tool at http://www.creditcardtuneup.com/ .

I'm certainly interested in any suggestions you might have to make it better.
Can you have it auto decimal the dollar figure?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Me too. I used to use it for everything, but since I got an AAdvantage MC, I only used the Dividend Card for gas and groceries. I have about $26 of cash reward there. If I close the account, will I be able to get the $26 or will I lose it?
If you close the account I'm pretty sure you'll lose it. I believe you need to keep spending until your account hits $50 to retrieve it.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by drbond
The recent changes to the cash back rewards of the Citi Dividend MasterCard prompted me to do some personal analysis to find the best mix of cashback cards for my spending patterns.

That personal analysis inspired me to build a general-purpose tool to help anyone determine the single best card or mix of N cards that will maximize their cashback rewards. You just plug in how much you spend each month (broken out by categories for best results) and you're presented with a list of recommended cards sorted from best to worst by your expected annual reward. If having more than one card and using each card to its strengths could yield a greater total reward, then each combination of the Best N cards is presented as well.

Can you have it auto decimal the dollar figure?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can have the CreditCardTuneUp tool do that, but I want to first be sure of what "auto decimal" means. I'm thinking it means that the user never actually has to enter the decimal point. As the user enters the numeric dollar amount, the entry field keeps adjusting the position of the decimal point in the entered value so that there are always two digits to the right of the decimal point. (Plus, I suppose it should make sure that the user is only entering numerals by ignoring non-numeric keystrokes.)

That's a good idea. But is that what you were thinking Dr. Bond?

+Joel
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:51 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can have the CreditCardTuneUp tool do that, but I want to first be sure of what "auto decimal" means. I'm thinking it means that the user never actually has to enter the decimal point. As the user enters the numeric dollar amount, the entry field keeps adjusting the position of the decimal point in the entered value so that there are always two digits to the right of the decimal point. (Plus, I suppose it should make sure that the user is only entering numerals by ignoring non-numeric keystrokes.)

That's a good idea. But is that what you were thinking Dr. Bond?

+Joel
Well, I actually experimented with the the auto-decimalling as I described above. I didn't like it because there are so few web user interfaces that work that way -- I thought it would annoy people more than help them. Instead, I beefed up the input field validation so that it would only allow numeric keystrokes, would not allow negative numbers, would only allow one decimal point to be entered (or no decimal point at all), and would only allow two digits to the right of the decimal point.

It's possible that what I'd implemented for "auto-decimaling" was not what you had in mind. If you could point me to an example of what you had in mind and it is not as annoying as the auto-decimaling functionality I prototyped, I'll reconsider auto decimaling.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:19 pm

From what I hear elsewhere, the people who have not gotten the letter from Citi have had the card for about 14 months or less. Does that jibe with the experiences here?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by kranky
From what I hear elsewhere, the people who have not gotten the letter from Citi have had the card for about 14 months or less. Does that jibe with the experiences here?
Yes for me. I think I got the card around 9/2005.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott -Plat. Hilton -Diamond
Cancelled my card today.

I didn't want it to come to this, but I'm not happy with the changes, and there are other cards to use. I've had my card for about 2 1/2 years.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond

Very interesting tool, thanks for sharing this. I would be interested to see what happens when you add in the Fidelity 529 Mastercard, which gives 2% cash deposit on all spending into a Fidelity 529 account, for those of us saving for college. Also, another consideration would be that the Starwood Amex card gives points that are typically valued at 2.5 cents each for hotel stays.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by budblab
Very interesting tool, thanks for sharing this. I would be interested to see what happens when you add in the Fidelity 529 Mastercard, which gives 2% cash deposit on all spending into a Fidelity 529 account, for those of us saving for college. Also, another consideration would be that the Starwood Amex card gives points that are typically valued at 2.5 cents each for hotel stays.
That's a great suggestion. I have been contemplating expanding the Credit Card Tune-Up decision support tool to include rewards that are more difficult to value such as airline frequent flyer miles, Starwood points, etc. That will require the ability of people who use the tool to assign values to these other kinds of points since people tend to assign widely varying values to points. I've added this suggestion to the enhancement list.

I'll add that Fidelity 529 2% MasterCard as well.

I'll let you know when the changes are made. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:08 pm
Suspended

You can again apply online for the Citi Dividend Platinum Select and earn a whopping 2% cash back https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Ch...EYS=4T4Z56A6-M
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
A doubt just occurred to me about my earlier posting. Is the card being discussed in this thread the Citi Diamond Dividend Master Card? I just noticed that "Diamond" has not been used in the OP and other posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.