Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death Of The Citi Dividend Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:35 am

I called yesterday to cancel my Citi Dividend card based upon the rebate percentage reduction. I'm going to switch my spending to my Chase Rewards Plus card which still offers the 5%. The Citi CSR tried everything to get me not to cancel including adding an additional 1% to all purchases for the next three months. In the end, I still cancelled.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by cardtracker
I called yesterday to cancel my Citi Dividend card based upon the rebate percentage reduction. I'm going to switch my spending to my Chase Rewards Plus card which still offers the 5%. The Citi CSR tried everything to get me not to cancel including adding an additional 1% to all purchases for the next three months. In the end, I still cancelled.
I called 2 days ago to cancel that card too. When the CSR asked what she could do to keep me as a member, I requested speaking with retention rep. Got transferred and she switched me to a Diamond Preferred with 5% rebate for gas/grocery for 1 year. This is the same as what you apply as new member, minus the signup bonus. I took it because I need to save hard pulls for my other apps.

I called last week to convert but they couldn't give me a 5% card to convert to. All require new apps. So that's why I asked to speak with retention dept when I called again 2 days ago.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
It's easy to get more Cashback Bonus every time you fill up at the pump with our Discover Platinum Gas Card.

And you'll receive 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months and no annual fee.

You get these great features with the Discover Platinum Gas Card:

America's #1 Cash Rewards Program*

Full 5% Cashback Bonus on gas purchases
Up to 1% Cashback Bonus on all your other purchases
Unlimited cash rewards that never expire

The recent changes to the cash back rewards of the Citi Dividend MasterCard prompted me to do some personal analysis to find the best mix of cashback cards for my spending patterns.

That personal analysis inspired me to build a general-purpose tool to help anyone determine the single best card or mix of N cards that will maximize their cashback rewards. You just plug in how much you spend each month (broken out by categories for best results) and you're presented with a list of recommended cards sorted from best to worst by your expected annual reward. If having more than one card and using each card to its strengths could yield a greater total reward, then each combination of the Best N cards is presented as well.

You can see the tool at http://www.creditcardtuneup.com/ .

I'm certainly interested in any suggestions you might have to make it better.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by joelmeu
The recent changes to the cash back rewards of the Citi Dividend MasterCard prompted me to do some personal analysis to find the best mix of cashback cards for my spending patterns.

That personal analysis inspired me to build a general-purpose tool to help anyone determine the single best card or mix of N cards that will maximize their cashback rewards. You just plug in how much you spend each month (broken out by categories for best results) and you're presented with a list of recommended cards sorted from best to worst by your expected annual reward. If having more than one card and using each card to its strengths could yield a greater total reward, then each combination of the Best N cards is presented as well.

You can see the tool at http://www.creditcardtuneup.com/ .

I'm certainly interested in any suggestions you might have to make it better.
Thanks for this helpful tool. One additional item I can think of is travel-related expense. Specifically airfare, which can earn rewards using Citi PP card.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by busterbaxter
Thanks for this helpful tool. One additional item I can think of is travel-related expense. Specifically airfare, which can earn rewards using Citi PP card.
Thanks for the feedback! Though I have to confess I'm not aware of which Citi card you're referring to that earns extra rewards on airfare. I'm guessing that "Citi PP" refers to the Citi Professional card. I know that card earns 3% on vehicle rentals, but not on other travel-related expenses like airfare. (The terms and conditions for that card can be seen here: https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Di...D=consumer&B=G.)

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks again for your help.

+Joel
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Diners Club, Citi Chairman, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, SPG Gold, Marriott Slvr
Originally Posted by joelmeu
Thanks for the feedback! Though I have to confess I'm not aware of which Citi card you're referring to that earns extra rewards on airfare. I'm guessing that "Citi PP" refers to the Citi Professional card. I know that card earns 3% on vehicle rentals, but not on other travel-related expenses like airfare. (The terms and conditions for that card can be seen here: https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Di...D=consumer&B=G.)

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks again for your help.

+Joel
PP = Premier Pass. You earn one Thank You point for every three miles of air travel when you buy the ticket with a Premier Pass Card.

Last edited by awake_at_midnight; Sep 17, 2006 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:30 am

I have not gotten my letter of the changes and my T&C say they must notify cardholders at least 30 days before changes to the T&C go into effect. If the effect date is Oct 13 today is Sep 17, it is less than 30 days. I presume the rewards program details are part of the T&C of all our cards. Might they be staggering the effect dates?

Might I be lucky in that I am not effected by the changes? My parents have this card too and they have not gotten thier letter. [[And under seperate matter--don't get me started on the credit protector feature of this card --they signed me up and charged me without even telling me until I get the statement and then the "activation" and enrolment materials in the mail. I think they had some computer error since I have not spoken to or called a CSR for months about this card.]]
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by STAM4NICK
I have not gotten my letter of the changes and my T&C say they must notify cardholders at least 30 days before changes to the T&C go into effect. If the effect date is Oct 13 today is Sep 17, it is less than 30 days. I presume the rewards program details are part of the T&C of all our cards. Might they be staggering the effect dates?
I only got mine this past week, considerably after many others got the letter. But mine said 10/13 was the date the 5% goes away, too. It'll be interesting to see if you get the letter.

And under seperate matter--don't get me started on the credit protector feature of this card --they signed me up and charged me without even telling me until I get the statement and then the "activation" and enrolment materials in the mail. I think they had some computer error since I have not spoken to or called a CSR for months about this card.
If you get paper statements, there's often a thing at the bottom that looks like you're supposed to sign it when you mail in your payment, but if you read what it says, you're actually signing up for credit protector. Such a scam, but it seems all the cc companies are doing this now.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Still have not received the letter.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:11 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
I signed up for the Discover Gas Card

"Full 5% Cashback Bonus on gas and auto maintenance purchases"

link

I also did not request a check from Citibank when the rebate topped $50 last month. I did not want to be caught in a situation where my rebate was less than $50 and I could not get iit--or something stupid like that. I'll request it after my last fill-up.

Last edited by pushback; Sep 28, 2006 at 4:22 pm
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by ohmark
Still have not received the letter.
Nor me. Nor the friend from OH I had dinner with last night who has the card too.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Told card will continue with 5%

Called Citi customer service today to ask about the cash rebate change. She said my card will continue to accrue the 5% at supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores. She said that not all accounts were switched away from the 5%; that there were no "notes" on my account so I will continue accruing as before. Hopefully this is true. We'll see.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Called Citi customer service today to ask about the cash rebate change. She said my card will continue to accrue the 5% at supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores. She said that not all accounts were switched away from the 5%; that there were no "notes" on my account so I will continue accruing as before. Hopefully this is true. We'll see.
that would be great. I have several 5% cards and have not received any letters yet, neither has Mrs. Psychtobe.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
I wonder if their decision is based on actual usage. I used mine for gas/groceries/pharmacy only. I got the letter. They were probably losing big money on my account.

Oh well, I just moved that spending somewhere else.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:51 am

Do you carry a balance? What percentage of your spending is on non-5% category stuff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.