Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:21 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by dw
So it sounds like maybe a card with a high AF but also with good point multipliers? Any hints at whether it might also have premium benefits to go along with it?
Unfortunately I don't have much concrete information to go by, but what was said with a high degree of certainty was that a new card would be replacing Prestige, a card that combines multiple features from other cards they currently market. Since the person said somebody with a portfolio like me would probably be very interested in the card, I can only imagine that it would be geared toward travel to some extent (i.e. multipliers on travel categories, assuming Priority Pass at a bare minimum, and perhaps if we consider the post-Covid world, new multipliers for rental cars and gas?). I'm dreaming of a card that retains the 5X on air/OTAs/dining, 1.5-2X base earnings, and maybe rotating 5X categories akin to the Custom Cash. And travel insurances returned. Only time will tell, and I was advised to "check Citi.com on a daily basis."

The link to apply for Prestige that was still working has died as of today, so perhaps things are moving forward?
moe8555 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:47 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: EWR
Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 1,267
Originally Posted by moe8555
I'm not sure I agree. The fact is, the vast majority of people out there either carry a balance, don't maximize earnings -- or both. My father has Prestige, for example, and it's his one card wallet for everything. He doesn't want to deal with the card shuffle game, and I've learned to accept that. At least I can rest easy knowing any dining and most travel charges are fully maximized, and whenever he gets a 5X/$500 promo email, that certainly helps too.

The last iteration of the card that allowed for unlimited 4NF via concierge -- that's a different story.
Banks aren’t known for killing off profitable products that don’t fly in the face of regulators. The vast majority of people out there don’t carry cards with $550+ annual fees. Do you think the vast majority of people with AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, or Chase Sapphire Reserve carry balances? Do you think the vast majority of people who carry balances bank with Citi…a retail bank with hardly any retail presence? I’m not saying there aren’t sum, but we need to stop extrapolating the overall market with these ultra premium products. My guess is there were very few remaining cardholders — maybe in the 1,000s or low 10,000s — and it was costing more the support the product than they could make.
jags86 is online now  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:57 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by jags86
Banks aren’t known for killing off profitable products that don’t fly in the face of regulators. The vast majority of people out there don’t carry cards with $550+ annual fees. Do you think the vast majority of people with AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, or Chase Sapphire Reserve carry balances? Do you think the vast majority of people who carry balances bank with Citi…a retail bank with hardly any retail presence? I’m not saying there aren’t sum, but we need to stop extrapolating the overall market with these ultra premium products. My guess is there were very few remaining cardholders — maybe in the 1,000s or low 10,000s — and it was costing more the support the product than they could make.
The remaining cardholders are probably grouped into the following categories:
  • Citigold members that had a discounted annual fee
  • "Regular" people like my father who had the card and just use it as is for everything
  • Points maximizers: With the advent of Double Cash 2X TYP, Rewards+ 10% rebate/10X small charges, and Custom Cash 5X rotating categories, I could see Prestige becoming a lucrative target for the ultra points-focused crowd that are less concerned about insurances and ancillary benefits (I'm in this category, maximum points and general lounge access are my first priority, all else (including portal multipliers) is fluff )
But on second thought, you are probably right that most people with this card are not carrying balances.
moe8555 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:19 pm
  #34  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,083
Originally Posted by Adelphos
....Amex Platinum used to provide US Air, Continental and American club access as well (not sure if they always provided all of those).
AA lounge access started in 2008 and ended in 2014.

Originally Posted by moe8555
....card that combines multiple features from other cards
Time and again Citi has launched top tier cards with features which proved unsustainable. Their market research doesn't seem to allow Citi to forecast how benefits will be utilized.
krazykanuck and LETTERBOY like this.
mia is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:42 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,996
I wonder just how much the 4th night free hurt Citi's profitability on this card. Were/Are people actually using it? I for one used to maximize my bookings at all-inclusive resorts, which cost them $600+ a pop. Yes, there are commissions on the balance of the stay, but we used to do many long weekend stays of just 4 nights.

It seems like Citi stripped the card of many useful benefits, but preserved the 4-night free perk to differentiate it from the rest of the pack.
TTT103 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:14 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by TTT103
I wonder just how much the 4th night free hurt Citi's profitability on this card. Were/Are people actually using it? I for one used to maximize my bookings at all-inclusive resorts, which cost them $600+ a pop. Yes, there are commissions on the balance of the stay, but we used to do many long weekend stays of just 4 nights.

It seems like Citi stripped the card of many useful benefits, but preserved the 4-night free perk to differentiate it from the rest of the pack.
From 2015 to 2019 I saved around $14k using the fourth night free benefit. I haven't used it since the concierge bookings ended. I still have the card for 5x points on dining and to have a premium non-amex card for when traveling overseas
TTT103 and aixporter like this.
pa69 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:17 am
  #37  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,726
Does Citi (like Chase, for example) have a history of supporting legacy cards for awhile after theyve been discontinued? If the rumored new card really is a different product and not a relaunch of the Prestige, I wonder how long existing cardholders will be able to keep the Prestige before being forced into a product change.
dw is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:23 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by dw
Does Citi (like Chase, for example) have a history of supporting legacy cards for awhile after theyve been discontinued? If the rumored new card really is a different product and not a relaunch of the Prestige, I wonder how long existing cardholders will be able to keep the Prestige before being forced into a product change.
They do (AT&T Access More and Citi Chairman come to mind), but there have also been instances of forced product changes eventually (Citi Forward).

Only time will tell. Perhaps the new card will beat Prestige in nearly every aspect and it will be a non-issue, although if they do implement the "choice benefit" concept proposed in the recent survey (and alluded to in my call), I'm not so sure.
dw likes this.
moe8555 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:11 am
  #39  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 7,726
Itll also be interesting to see what options they give those with existing AF fee waivers or AF fee reductions/credits on the Prestige Card.
dw is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:59 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by dw
Itll also be interesting to see what options they give those with existing AF fee waivers or AF fee reductions/credits on the Prestige Card.
I have a discounted annual fee and only justifying holding on to it for that reason. I hope if they replace the card and force a product change, they would match the discount but I'm not optimistic.
hkcj likes this.
voodoogirl is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:32 am
  #41  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Posts: 5,541
Originally Posted by TTT103
I wonder just how much the 4th night free hurt Citi's profitability on this card. Were/Are people actually using it? I for one used to maximize my bookings at all-inclusive resorts, which cost them $600+ a pop.
I saved literally thousands of dollars per year with the 4th night free.

Used to spend about 200 nights per year in hotels and would always make multiple reservations to maximize this.
355F1 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:33 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by 355F1
I saved literally thousands of dollars per year with the 4th night free.

Used to spend about 200 nights per year in hotels and would always make multiple reservations to maximize this.
Are you still ever able to make use of the current 4NF feature through the portal? It's very hit and miss (compared to the lowest direct or OTA+coupon/cashback portal prices I'm able to find), but "a degree" of savings is possible if you look hard enough.
moe8555 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:41 pm
  #43  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Posts: 5,541
Originally Posted by moe8555
Are you still ever able to make use of the current 4NF feature through the portal? It's very hit and miss (compared to the lowest direct or OTA+coupon/cashback portal prices I'm able to find), but "a degree" of savings is possible if you look hard enough.
Nope. Haven't used it once since they switched. Their rates pretty much just suck.
36902BRF likes this.
355F1 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:45 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TYS/BNA/ATL
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by pa69
From 2015 to 2019 I saved around $14k using the fourth night free benefit. I haven't used it since the concierge bookings ended. I still have the card for 5x points on dining and to have a premium non-amex card for when traveling overseas
Same here, save quite a bit on 4th night free for business travel. Will keep the card, since I only pay $350, but cancelled my 2 Amex Platinums.
yugi is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:46 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TYS/BNA/ATL
Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by dw
Does Citi (like Chase, for example) have a history of supporting legacy cards for awhile after theyve been discontinued? If the rumored new card really is a different product and not a relaunch of the Prestige, I wonder how long existing cardholders will be able to keep the Prestige before being forced into a product change.
They will do it for few years, based on Forward card, but it was a Visa, and they switched almost all of the cards to MC, except Costco.
yugi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.