Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by DrForce
I have 2 custom cash cards now. One was a direct application and the other was a PC done shortly after the application of the other card.
So you can convert to it? Great, I'll try to convert one of my multiple Preferred/Rewards+ cards into it. I'm planning to spend $500 in a grocery store every month. This is really great, I think that I don't need Amex Gold or EDP anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I'll let you know when my statement closes to see if it works.
Don't you see it online, on every transaction?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:08 am

A question here, if I convert Preferred or Rewards+ to Custom Cash, does it mean closing account, and resetting the 24 month TYP clock?
I did conversions from Premier/Prestige to Preferred/Rewards+ and it didn't reset the clock, also forced conversion from Preferred and Forward Visas to Preferred MC didn't reset the clock.

Last edited by yugi; Aug 18, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:33 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
How many custom cashes can 1 person hold now? Someone said it’s possible to get multiple through PC. Can you choose different 5x categories across the cards? If so, custom cash just became a slightly worse BoA prefplat customized cash for cash back and a 5x invalidation of the citi prestige earning structure for points earning.

Originally Posted by yugi
A question here, if I convert Preferred or Rewards+ to Custom Cash, does it mean closing account, and resetting the 24 month TYP clock?
I did conversions from Premier/Prestige to Preferred/Rewards+ and it didn't reset the clock, also forced conversion from Preferred and Forward Visas to Preferred MC didn't reset the clock.
AFAIK you can tell when the clock is reset by the card number changing.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:20 pm

Don't you see it online, on every transaction?
Yes, the transactions are categorized correctly, but the rewards are only paid out when the statement closes.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
How many custom cashes can 1 person hold now? Someone said it’s possible to get multiple through PC. Can you choose different 5x categories across the cards? If so, custom cash just became a slightly worse BoA prefplat customized cash for cash back and a 5x invalidation of the citi prestige earning structure for points earning.

No, it's not the case. I converted from one card to another with number change, and I've got 3 bonuses later.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:38 am

Yes, the transactions are categorized correctly, but the rewards are only paid out when the statement closes.
Ok, let us know when it posts.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:53 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
No, it's not the case. I converted from one card to another with number change, and I've got 3 bonuses later.
Not sure. Just basing it on Doc of Credit:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

Originally Posted by DoC
TPG has now clarified with Citi that any time the card number remains the same with the product change, your 24-month clock will not reset and you’ll continue to be eligible for a new bonus. The implication is that if you do get a new card number, the clock will reset and you’ll have to wait 24-months.
However DoC also cites a data point where a number changing does NOT reset the clock so IDK https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...comment-583366
Old Aug 18, 2021, 1:07 pm

Not sure. Just basing it on Doc of Credit:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

However DoC also cites a data point where a number changing does NOT reset the clock so IDK https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...comment-583366
The question is if the points from my existing car will expire, because I converted from TYP family to a non-TYP family card, and if that means account closure, or conversion?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 1:26 pm

I just called Citi and converted one of my Preferred cards to Custom Cash. They said my number will not change and points won't expire. We'll see how it will work out.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A card number change is necessary, but not sufficient, to indicate an account closure. If the card number remains the same we can be confident that it is the same account, but if the card number changes we don't know anything about the account.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 2:04 pm

BTW, they told me that Preferred earns 3x on dining, streaming and entertainment, I was under impression that it's 2x.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by mia
Premier still offers 3X for transactions made with Travel Agencies. How do you book your cruises?
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I book through a travel agent, but the billing is always through the cruise line. Looks like it would be worthwhile for me to make a small payment on one of my upcoming cruises with Premier and see how it is categorized. Thanks for the idea.
DP: I called my travel agent and put a small charge on my Citi Premier toward one of my booked 2022 cruises; as expected the charge was made directly to the cruise line. My Citi account shows the purchase as only earning 1 point per dollar.
mia likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:20 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by jags86
I think the grocery category is really the only one that makes sense unless you have very specific expenses. I think most families spend at least $500/mo at grocery stores. Maybe you spend $1000 and have two cards in 2-player mode. But I think the other categories, either people spend way under $500 or way over $500 in a given month. Groceries is easiest category to maximize regularly.
with most of my grocery spend at Whole Foods, I already get 5% from Amazon. The extra flexibility of TYPs isn’t of any value to me either. But this is probably best category for most .
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Applied this morning, and approved. Get the 20,000 bonus, downgrade a no fee AA Card to the Rewards + card, and have a pretty optimal setup:

Citi Premier
Citi Double Cash
Citi Custom Cash
Citi Rewards +
AA Executive
AA Platinum

Next year, Executive and Platinum will likely each be downgraded one level to Platinum and Mileup, respectively.

Think I am done with credit card applications until September 2023. Then back to work on Chase.
HPN-HRL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.