Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by brajalle
I may have missed it, does this card have the +2yr extended warranty benefit?
Custom Cash offers the following ancillary benefits:
dw, Adelphos, moe8555 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by jags86
Custom Cash offers the following ancillary benefits:
I think you forgot:

Bank anywhere with the Citi Mobile® AppThe Citi Mobile® App gives you access to your account virtually anywhere, anytime. View your current balance, available credit, your spend summary, easily make payments and so much more.

Oh and this:
Choose Your Payment Due DateChoose to pay your bill on any available due date in the beginning, middle or end of the month. Enjoy the flexibility of paying your full balance or just the minimum payment due each month.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:55 pm

Hi, May I ask why all of you get $0.01 per 1 ThankYou Point? How come my conversion rate is way much lower?
I just checked, it takes 20,000 points to redeem for $100 in my account.
I want to apply for this Custom Card, but I am not sure I will get the full cash bonus as it described.
Can anyone tell me why I don't get $0.01 for each TYP ?

(I only have Citi Priority Checking account at the moment. Does that matter?)
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jason Louville
....20,000 points to redeem for $100 in my account.
Welcome to Flyertalk. Which credit card do you have?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
5 ThankYou Points for each $1 you spend in your highest spend category each billing cycle up to the first $500 spent in that category.

There are other similar cards out there allowing you to earn 5% in multiple categories concurrently.

The more I read into this card, the less I am interested.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. Which credit card do you have?
I don't have any Citi card right now. I only have Citi checking account at the moment, which gives me ThankYou Points as well.
I am considering to apply for this Custom Card. However, from my current ThankYou Account, I only see 2 TYP for $0.01 redemption, not 1 TYP for $0.01 as advertised in Custom Card.

So I wonder / doubt if I will actually receive that much benefit once I get this card.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 6:15 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Jason Louville
So I wonder / doubt if I will actually receive that much benefit once I get this card.
The benefit is based on the product. The terms of your bank account(s) should tell you the cash redemption value. I do not know if opening a credit card would increase the value of the points earned through banking.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by mia
... I do not know if opening a credit card would increase the value of the points earned through banking.
I only found one minor improvement for TYP earned on deposit accounts due to premium CC under the same name. If cash redemption at 1c/pt is possible, the banking TYP can be so redeemed. Otherwise banking TYP will always be subject to expiration, can not be transferred to partner programs or other individuals, but can be redeemed for mortgage or student loan pay'ts.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:37 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Because the SUB for this card is technically issued in TY points, are you eligible for this SUB if you've already received a Premier SUB? Previous comments suggest the answer is no but I would appreciate confirmation on that.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:08 pm
mia

The offer terms do not disqualify the bonus based on any other card's bonus:

This offer will be fulfilled as 20,000 ThankYou® Points, which can be redeemed for $200 cash back. Citi will only issue one Citi Custom CashSM Card account per person. You will qualify for the bonus offer only if you have not received a bonus offer for opening a new Citi Custom CashSM Card in the past 48 months.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:48 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
The offer terms do not disqualify the bonus based on any other card's bonus:
Got it. I thought you could only receive 1 TY point bonus every 24 months.

Is it possible to hold multiple custom cash cards? My flow will probably be Citi Premier SUB, Citi Custom Cash SUB, then product change Citi Premier to Custom Cash after year 1 (assuming the product change can be done, which seems unclear rn).

Edit:

Actually from a SUB perspective, I may just product change the premier to the Citi Rewards+ anyway to avoid restarting the 24 month TY Point clock. 12 months after the PC (and 2 years after card open), I think I would get a new TY point SUB and then product change the Rewards+ to a Custom Cash shortly after. This is assuming a) the custom cash still exists in 2 years (which could not be the case given it's city) b) there is a TY point SUB worth chasing in 2 years (again, not a given as this is Citi). Mainly just trying to take advantage of the Premier elevated SUB + the AA transfer partner option.

Last edited by WasKnown; Jul 20, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:10 am
mia

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Is it possible to hold multiple custom cash cards?
No. Re-read the terms quoted in my previous reply.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mia
No. Re-read the terms quoted in my previous reply.
Since Citi takes a while to process card changes, I wonder if one could call and product change and then immediately apply for a new card and end up with two.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:18 am
mia

...end up with two.
Perhaps. I do not recall seeing this language in terms for any other card. Someone at Citi is sensitized to a risk. Time will show how well they have implemented the rule in software.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:23 pm

Since Citi takes a while to process card changes, I wonder if one could call and product change and then immediately apply for a new card and end up with two.
If that works, you may still end up with two undesirable outcomes:
1. You won't get the SUB;
2. You'll remain subject to the same $500 cap on 5% (as with a single card).
But hey, Citi is known to leave loopholes in strange places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.