Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi “Custom Cash” card - 5% in top eligible category

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by misterno
...My plan is to buy MO at WM with these
Yes, it can work. Make sure you study this thread first -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...2-onwards.html
You'll probably prefer a VGC for the above.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaxVO
There's no need to divert spend from CC to R+. Simply holding the R+ card passively is enough to provide the 10% bonus on TYP redemptions.
So far I converted 9 cards to CC, including DC, R+, Premier, Preferred. Great card!
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
So far I converted 9 cards to CC...
Wow that's awesome! Did you open some accounts just to have something to convert to CC a year later? Was Citi more willing to approve some card, and not others? IME they're not easy on approving Premier with a large SUB.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Wow that's awesome! Did you open some accounts just to have something to convert to CC a year later? Was Citi more willing to approve some card, and not others? IME they're not easy on approving Premier with a large SUB.
No, I haven't applied for a Citi card in more than 2 years, I had those cards from before.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by arfaczar
Google recently changed the MCC for YouTube TV subscription charges. As a result those changes no longer trigger 5x bonus on my Chase Ink card.
I was wondering if there are any recent DPs of the Custom Cash earning 5x for YouTube subscription charges?
DP - Custom Cash earns 5x on YouTube TV subscription charges.
sdsearch and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by yugi
No, I haven't applied for a Citi card in more than 2 years, I had those cards from before.
just curious how many personal citi cards you have total. I thought I was pushing it at 8 lol
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by jeffersun
just curious how many personal citi cards you have total. I thought I was pushing it at 8 lol
I have 11 Citi cards + Sears (which is managed by Citi, but they don't call it a Citi card).
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:45 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does this card gets merchant offers?

LAX
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
Does this card gets merchant offers?
Yes.

Email overnight with Subject Act now on your Citi® Merchant Offers from Citi Custom Cash® Card
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:31 am
LAX

Originally Posted by mia
Yes.

Email overnight with Subject Act now on your Citi® Merchant Offers from Citi Custom Cash® Card
Thanks. I might need to contemplate getting one!

LAX
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:51 am

So the short scoop is basically to maximize the 5% by spending $500 in a single category of choice, and then use a different card for other purchases that fall outside of that category. Is this correct?
This would give me a guaranteed 2500 points per month that I can transfer out because of my Premier, yes? Then after I transfer, the Rewards+ kicks in and gives me some of it back. I think this is the play here.
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:02 am

If I convert a Premier card to a Custom Cash, does the new reward structure begin immediately? My wife got an email for her Premier card (which we had no AF for as a free upgrade from the Rewards+ card last year) saying that the AF would be charged soon. It was actually a very nice email, they said that since they noticed she had not used the card recently, they were letting her know about the AF. Anyway, I have no use for the Premier, but could definitely use a third Custom Cash card, especially since I maxed out my AMEX BCP for the year and maxed out one of the CC cards (actually overspent above the $500, very embarrassing).

BTW, I am not sure if this has been discussed here, but the Rewards+ card is an excellent companion card to this one because you get a 10% rebate on all point redemptions, and it applies to points earned with the CC card as well if they're both in the same TYP account, making it a 5.5% card. My wife and I each had one before we took them up on the free AF Premier offer last year. They keep trying to get me to convert my card, but no way am I changing.

Update - got card converted via chat, so we now have three CC cards.

Last edited by MisterBill; Nov 20, 2023 at 6:38 pm
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Transaction Date vs Posting Date for 5%?

Guessing this is a more general question about Citi, but putting here as that is the card in question for me. I am trying to maximize the 5% but am curious how Citi handles the following example scenario:
  • Statement Closing Date - 15th of Nov
  • Transaction Purchase Date - 14th of Nov
  • Transaction Posting Date - 16th of Nov
Assuming the $500 max was not hit in Nov, will the 5% from that transaction be counted as part of the Dec statement period - meaning that the Dec $500 max is reduced? Or, does the Dec statement give the 5% back from the Nov period and still leave the full $500 available for the Dec statement period?

Last edited by G2244; Nov 20, 2023 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by G2244
Guessing this is a more general question about Citi, but putting here as that is the card in question for me. I am trying to maximize the 5% but am curious how Citi handles the following example scenario:
  • Statement Closing Date - 15th of Nov
  • Transaction Purchase Date - 14th of Nov
  • Transaction Posting Date - 16th of Nov
Assuming the $500 max was not hit in Nov, will the 5% from that transaction be counted as part of the Dec statement period - meaning that the Dec $500 max is reduced? Or, does the Dec statement give the 5% back from the Nov period and still leave the full $500 available for the Dec statement period?
The custom cash does 5% back on your top category (up to $500) each statement. My understanding is if it isn't on the statement it doesn't apply to that period.
MisterBill likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:41 am
LAX

Does anyone know which credit bureau Citi pulls from if I want to apply for this card? TIA.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.