Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:20 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:01 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I also don't think that an off-hand comment by one Justice is going to change the fact that this is covered by the ADA, it is federally preempted and that the sole remedy here is to ask DOT to bring an enforcement action.
Wow, so much confusion.

A published supreme court decision is not an "off-hand comment". It is the law of the land.

Second, even if the ADA did apply here, the sole remedy would not be to request enforcement action. You can also recover damages in federal court. The ADA does not prevent lawsuits; it prevents states from getting involved.

Even though the ADA doesn't apply here, federal court is still the only place where non-Texas residents can recover damages in excess of $75,000.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:31 pm

In order to win in court you first have to claim AA did something wrong: breached a contract, violated some applicable law (or something else relevant). What exactly is the claim - what statute is applicable and how exactly did AA violate the applicable statute? If you believe the relevant provision is something other than a statute, same questions.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:39 pm

No longer relevant.

Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Unfair trade practices in selling miles via a third party and then cancelling accounts that received those miles from the third party.
Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act? I wonder why Ginsberg the plaintiff and Ginsberg the Court did not raise that. Is it clear 49 U. S. C. §41712(a) does not preempt?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mhopki3
My wife and I have been locked since early December (8ish SUBs each in the past 2 years). We had international award tickets on mixed metal that we just returned from. My wife's account got terminated about a week before the award flights, luckily I had backup revenue flights booked. My account is still alive, for the moment, and I was able to travel on all my award tickets while my wife traveled on the revenue tickets. I was even able to make a change to the return award booking while the account was locked. The change ticketed within a day

Back in December I purchased mileage multiplier on all the awards back when people thought a revenue component could save the ticket. I recently submitted the credit card disputes for the mileage multiplier charges on my wife's canceled award tickets. I also need to submit a refund for the taxes/fees on my wife's award bookings. Does anyone know where I can find the ticket number for those? All I have are the record locators.
Thanks for the DP............what I deem worthwhile posts are few and far between here.

Do you have any more Award flights booked in your name ?

I'm guess the award flight you flew was booked on miles out of your AA account and you wife's cancelled ticket was on miles out of her terminated AA account ?

I ask because when we fly ( regardless of airline) we use the miles/points out of the same account for both of our tickets.

My ticket numbers are included on the emails I received from AA after they ticketed the flight. That email usually arrives up to an hour after the initial email with the record locator...........check spam
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:25 pm

No longer relevant.

Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a fantasy on FT that churning is "normal"...
This is why I am I in this thread at all. I came to credit card and bonus “churning” very late (within the past 12-24 months), and never did mailers. However I have strong interest in what AA may view as as abuse, or not. There are currently paths to get 200K+ in sign up bonus miles within a year or so from AA without mailers, without duplicate cards, etc. The key thing is to figure out here is if these methods are seen as permissible under the current AA philosophy. I’m more interested in forward looking implications than issues related to legacy transactions
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:52 pm

From your own link:

"Although Northwest has won this battle decisively, it is not nearly so clear that its victory will bring dismissal of Ginsberg’s suit. The Court emphasized that his underlying claim for breach of contract (which he did not appeal) to the Ninth Circuit, was not preempted, and it noted that the agreement did not necessarily bar an argument (like his) that the termination in factrested on some ulterior motive, rather than abuse. If the Ninth Circuit’s solicitousness for Ginsberg extends to finding some way to permit those arguments to be resuscitated, then Ginsberg’s suit well might live on despite Northwest’s Supreme Court victory."
You still have to make a claim. And once that claim attempts to expand the contractual obligations - which every claim made by focus here (and Reddit) has suggested - it will get stopped by the SCOTUS ruling.

The ADA pre-empts a state-law claim for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing if it seeks to enlarge the contractual obligations that the parties voluntarily adopt.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A clear statement by a justice of a potential avenue for future action is hardly an "off-hand comment."
In this country, it is not precedent.

It is a straw at which some choose to grasp.
Global321 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA
If the DOT finds that AA committed an unfair or deceptive trade practice in violation of 49 U.S.C § 41712, the issue is then getting relief. The DOT can’t make you whole- they can fine AA and order them to change their practice, but the DOT isn’t a court of law. Can you then take the DOT’s hypothetical finding of unfair or deceptive trade practices and sue AA in court for relief? Federal court?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:16 pm

No longer relevant.

Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
This is why I am I in this thread at all. I came to credit card and bonus “churning” very late (within the past 12-24 months), and never did mailers. However I have strong interest in what AA may view as as abuse, or not. There are currently paths to get 200K+ in sign up bonus miles within a year or so from AA without mailers, without duplicate cards, etc. The key thing is to figure out here is if these methods are seen as permissible under the current AA philosophy. I’m more interested in forward looking implications than issues related to legacy transactions
From AA's perspective as of now it appears that 4 sign up bonuses from a Citi card in a 24 month period is sufficient to trigger an account closure. Roll the dice on whether they decide that four from, say, Barclay's and Citi will meet that threshold in the future. This is an extraordinary situation and no one really knows anything more than that.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Thanks for the DP............what I deem worthwhile posts are few and far between here.

Do you have any more Award flights booked in your name ? No, these were the last AA awards we will fly, unfortunately.

I'm guess the award flight you flew was booked on miles out of your AA account and you wife's cancelled ticket was on miles out of her terminated AA account ? Correct. We used our own accounts to book the flights, but I like your practice of using miles/points out of the same account for a set of tickets.

I ask because when we fly ( regardless of airline) we use the miles/points out of the same account for both of our tickets.

My ticket numbers are included on the emails I received from AA after they ticketed the flight. That email usually arrives up to an hour after the initial email with the record locator...........check spam. Thanks
Responses in red.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mhopki3
My wife and I have been locked since early December (8ish SUBs each in the past 2 years).
How did you know you were locked if you were still able to get things to ticket? Or you lost that ability and were just by some miracle able to get these flight changes to ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.