Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
An AA member could liquidate the miles in ways that free up the member’s cash or even generate cash, take the cash and donate it directly to a qualified charity. If you’re expecting an account shutdown and don’t care about the account being used for personal travel anymore, then why not do this if you want to help someone else more and do so without helping AA more?
Sure, explain to me how I do this with a locked account.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Sure, explain to me how I do this with a locked account.
When you talked about donating AA miles to a charity from an AA account, you weren’t talking about doing it with a locked account at the time. So why would you want me to explain how to do this with a locked account when a locked account member can’t direct a donation from the AA account any more than the person can use the miles in other ways (including ways being indicated in my post)?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:58 pm

When you talked about donating AA miles to a charity from an AA account, you weren’t talking about doing it with a locked account at the time. So why would you want me to explain how to do this with a locked account when a locked account member can’t direct a donation from the AA account any more than the person can use the miles in other ways (including ways being indicated in my post)?
Many with locked accounts think all the miles are going to be taken so I posted saying why not donate them.

I wouldn't go and empty a unlocked account.

You can donate miles from a locked account, read outside FT, others are doing it.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 19, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:00 pm

Text from another forum

My locked account was terminated a few days ago. AA didn’t even send an email. How UNAAmerican. All upcoming award flights were cancelled that were booked using my points. I have non refundable hotel reservations (free cancellation date has passed) and paid the AA taxes and fees using CIti AA cards. insult to injury. Citi continues to encourage me to use my cards, and sign up for checking account offers. Miles earned from my credit card bills this month have no account to go into. I’m considering disputing the charges with CIti for a refund on my taxes and airport departure fees for the flights booked using Citi credit cards for the flights. I’ve paid Barclays annual fees for AA cards for years.

If your account is locked right now, take screen shots of your existing reservations, fees paid, and account history. It will disappear when the shut down happens. Since nobody is getting unlocked, just shut down one by one, consider donating your miles to charity. That still works. Then at least AA doesn’t get them, charity does.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:18 pm

BTW, I hope I wake up tomorrow to all sorts of posts telling me locked accounts can't donate miles.............I would love to be wrong because that means another one of our accounts is still open.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:18 pm
Suspended

You can donate miles from a locked account, read outside FT, others are doing it.
If locked account members can still direct that miles from their own locked AA accounts be used for AA charities and get them donated that way, then that says some very interesting things about AA and its questionable ways of operating.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:27 pm

If locked account members can still direct that miles from their own locked AA accounts be used for AA charities and get them donated that way, then that says some very interesting things about AA and its questionable ways of operating.
The same account just tried to book a rental car.

Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Plat
Actually it's good to know AA gets the credit ( I never thought I would somehow get a tax deduction) because one of the holdups I was having about donating ~ 600K is miles is AA coming back and saying somehow I owe them the price of the miles.
They can still do that. Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is still a crime. See the wallet analogy above!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Analogies never work.

The whole sub-issue is simply an acknowledgement by the donor account holder that AA, not the account holder, owns the miles. It is even the most fundamental problem all of those who are screeching about lawsuits face: the miles weren't theirs when they reported their income, but are suddenly theirs when the miles' use is restricted from their owner, e.g. AA.

Wherever you come down on the underlying churning issue as a policy matter, AA has thought this through very well.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:45 am

This is exactly what I thought when I first learned about this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
They can still do that. Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is still a crime. See the wallet analogy above!
So AA’s stealing from the AA mileage rich and giving to charity — all while AA is collecting a tax benefit of sort from the giving to charity — and that is a crime?

I thought that AA claimed that AA can legally do whatever AA wants to do to AA loyalty program member accounts. And yet, amusingly, your post can be read literally as suggesting that AA is the criminal “stealing from the rich and giving to the poor”.

Your post is amusing, as it was probably intended to discredit AA account members, even as it can be read literally as a “J’accuse” moment aimed at AA.
fttc likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1
the miles weren't theirs when they reported their income
You are BSing again. IRS certainly thinks that free miles are income. That's what happens if you get miles from opening bank accounts. The banks will send you 1099. Credit card miles are not income only because you have to spend more to get what miles are worth.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Analogies never work.

The whole sub-issue is simply an acknowledgement by the donor account holder that AA, not the account holder, owns the miles. It is even the most fundamental problem all of those who are screeching about lawsuits face: the miles weren't theirs when they reported their income, but are suddenly theirs when the miles' use is restricted from their owner, e.g. AA.

Wherever you come down on the underlying churning issue as a policy matter, AA has thought this through very well.
This could not be more incorrect.

The miles are absolutely yours when you report your income. If you earn them from a bank account they count as an interest payment, which is taxable. You get a 1099-INT and you pay tax on them.

If you get them on a credit card, they count as a rebate, which counts as a discount, which is not taxable (just like if you buy something in a store for 50% off, that 50% is not taxable, or if you use a credit card offer which gives you a statement credit, that statement credit is not taxable).

The fact that you don't declare them on your taxes is a result of them being non-taxable (again, except in the bank account case, where they are taxable and you report them). It is certainly not a result of you not owning them.

Every once in a while there is speculation that miles earned on reimbursed business travel should be taxable income (as should credit card points earned on reimbursed business expenses). This is probably accurate -- if the miles are a rebate, and your employer reimburses you an amount in addition to the discounted amount, the difference should be income from your employer. The IRS has not (yet) decided to rule on or enforce this, probably because it would be an accounting nightmare (particularly when the reimbursed expense is a tax writeoff for the business -- they could only write off the non-discounted amount) and really wouldn't generate that much extra tax revenue.
Happy and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Another friend passed along a write up of a not well-known Blogger who is also an EXP who spent quite a bit on AA year after year, as well as a lot more on his Citi card, also has his account locked.

https://www.middleagemiles.com/2020/...-and-thoughts/
At least the blog you shared apologizes for his role in "teaching" people how to get multiple SUBs. Other bloggers we've seen are more like "Well, I heard this goes on, but I myself have never done such a thing." Yeah, right. It was laughable!
Happy, nwflyboy, Global321 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fttc
You are BSing again. IRS certainly thinks that free miles are income. That's what happens if you get miles from opening bank accounts. The banks will send you 1099. Credit card miles are not income only because you have to spend more to get what miles are worth.
But, you then can't claim that they were your asset. That's the whole devil's bargain.

The compromise which Congress tacitly permitted works well for the vast majority of US taxpayers who earn miles one way or another. But, the deal is that they're not income, they are not an asset, but you do get to spend them for tickets and other toys.

Try to turn what was never yours into cash in a lawsuit or any other device and you've changed the equation. Hopefully just for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.