Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tonywush
Here is the most current info. HT to uscreditcardguide.

5x Food/Air Ticket; 3x Travel; 2x Entertainment; 4th night free and $250 travel reimbursement remain. Effective date: 2019.1.4
If true, that's a killer card, and I'll be happy I kept mine. But one has to suspect they'll devalue TYP along the way. 5x on air and dining seems more unsustainable than 4th night free.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
If that's all true that would be freaking awesome. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I suspect most people do not maximize their TYP redemptions, so perhaps this could stand.

I think its a little harder to squeeze value from it than UR / MR.

Several family members have TYP balances, and of those 3, only 1 really gets good value from them (transfers to Singapore for long haul J).

The rest do stuff like Amazon or Best Buy redemptions....

But in any case I welcome another front in the rewards cards war!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
...Best Buy redemptions....
BBY redemptions ain't bad. In fact, I used a workaround that I redeemed TYP for BBY GCs. Then I used the BBY GCs to buy whatever GCs that BBY has to offer.

This is how I paid for my Netflix now.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:53 pm

Those are usually sub 1c/TYP redemptions, and by doing that, one loses whatever purchase protections, extended warranties, and TYP earning they could have gotten from just paying for the Best Buy widget with the credit card. Especially since I think Citi want people to now buy online directly, with linked TYP accounts. After buying with a credit card, the charge could be offset with a TYP statement credit redemption* if one must. I've had them post pretty fast - a couple of days at times - so if its a pure cash flow issue that addresses that too. Maybe if its a de minimus amount of points this doesn't work.

* since this a Prestige related thread, I'm assuming everyone has access to 1c/TYP statement credits.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If true, that's a killer card, and I'll be happy I kept mine. But has to suspect they'll devalue TYP along the way. 5x on air and dining seems more unsustainable than 4th night free.
How would they "devalue" TY points? I don't see it. Citi actually made a smart move for once, changing their Jet Blue points transfer ratio to 1:1 on the Premier, competing with Chase.

Points value is determined by the partner unless Citi wants to worsen the transfer ratios, which I don't see happening.

Perhaps there will be a cap on the 5x dining/air to $25,000/year in spending or something.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Oct 22, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:26 pm

I think he is referring to the cash redemption for cash-back folks.

To me, transferring it to airline program is the way to go. No way will it drop under 1:1 ratio.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Apparently, the replacement will be a revamped Prestige:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-prestige-changes/

5X on airfare and dining, 2-night cap on 4th night free, et al...
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
There are plenty of $1.3 / TYP for airfare redemption sweetspots, particularly in the era of cheap, competitive domestic fares, limited saver award availability; not to mention the ability to earn miles, qualify for status, upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:02 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by roundtree
Apparently, the replacement will be a revamped Prestige:

5X on airfare and dining, 2-night cap on 4th night free, et al...
Looks like this card will become my main card again after this.

Ill miss the manyyyy 4th night free credits but will just have to use it for expensive hotels now—$500+ night Bookings that I make 2-3 times per year.

I just signed up for the new AMEX gold last week for dining and grocery stores. LoL
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:04 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
TPG reports that it’s coming back in Jan

Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
4th night credit is being restricted to a maximum of 2 uses per calendar year.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ning-air-more/
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

Changing the $250 from airline only to all travel is fantastic. Ill be able to use that benefit within a month or two on NJ Transit.

But raising the price means it would cost me $250 for the other benefits. I dont think its worth it, especially after they scaled back all the insurance stuff (never mind losing AA lounges).

I think this will be a cancel next summer when my renewal comes up, unless theyre going to throw in some goodies to stay on.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by levistrauss
4th night credit is being restricted to a maximum of 2 uses per calendar year.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ning-air-more/
And the other shoe has dropped. If true, I retract my earlier comment, although it will be a really great card until Sept. 2019.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
How would they "devalue" TY points? I don't see it.
You don't see it? As per DoC, it just happened.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:18 pm

As someone who quite loved the 4NF - and used it - I can deal with the changes.

Two times a year seems sustainable for 'vacation' type use of the card.

Unlimited, uncapped 4NF basically meant that the bulk of the dollar benefit given out to card members in aggregrate was being enjoyed by professionals on the road half the year or something.

I'd rather they offer benefits that work for the average cardholder, rather than the supreme optimizer, even FT types are likely to be in that latter group.

Interesting that the blogs are reporting that Citi states the average cardholder only used 4NF once per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.