Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by milypan
It's far from obvious that that is the most valuable method to redeem, and doubly so given Citi's relatively weak group of partners. It may be the most valuable method for you, which is great, but it likely is not for the average cardholder. I personally plan to redeem most Citi TYPs as point transfers, but I don't deny that this is a devaluation.

(I will say, however, that the B6 option does represent a viable ~1.5c redemption floor for many domestic US travelers, though it is of little use to me personally.)
Unless you're redeeming for something similar to Skypesos, it's not difficult to beat out 1.25 cpp with partners. Utilize alliances to get maximum value. Yes, the average person may not want to do that - but that doesn't take away the fact that it's the most valuable redemption method.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by yugi
Can you share your experience with roadside assistance from prestige card, please?
We've used it twice in the last two years. Basically you call up the main number, get transferred around a bit, and then eventually they get you to the roadside assistance desk, which seems to be for a range of cards. They will then verify the Prestige status, and send out a truck for free. (Some lower level cards will have to bear a $50 fee I think) We once had a person come out to a very remote area (they had to drive 3+ hours) and give us a jump. The driver told me that one cost Citi $300+. And another time just a simple jump at home. That one was reasonably quick in arriving.

It does take a little longer to arrange than GEICO Roadside (or Hagerty Roadside*) which I've also used but those are paid services, with a surcharge on a regular ins. policy. I'd log it at a 20+ min phone call.

So one nuance: the person who holds the card needs to call, even if the car is their spouses. Citi doesn't check the car registry. So if you have one Prestige between P1 and P2, and for some reason a hiccup happens when you are not together, this may not work well. I will note though in both situations when it was used no one even checked the card or ID or registry...so if one wants to gamble they could try having the other player make the call to summon roadside if they do not hold the card themself (and are not an AU). (Of course....I'm the one & only guy who gets checked for boarding passes at Priority Pass restaurants so I'm leery of really straying far from terms & conditions....)

And lest it seem like I'm driving around in a rattrap running out of gas constantly, these were flukey events. I'm hyper about keeping the cars in proper order!

* specialty roadside assistance - flatbed for classic cars
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Unless you're redeeming for something similar to Skypesos, it's not difficult to beat out 1.25 cpp with partners. Utilize alliances to get maximum value. Yes, the average person may not want to do that - but that doesn't take away the fact that it's the most valuable redemption method.
By definition, if someone doesn’t want to take advantage of an offer, it is not of value to them. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Look, I know all about redemption charts, alliance partners, award booking search engines, etc. But I also value things like schedule, flight availability, and EQMs. So after accounting for these factors, plus the huge number of redeemable miles I typically earn on paid flights, and fuel surcharges/fees, a “$4,000” overseas J ticket may be worth only $1,600 to me. If I can get it for under 100k points that’s still a decent value, but it’s nowhere near the value of “3-4 cents per mile” that one might initially assume.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:01 pm

Pretty much sums things up:

"The Citi Prestige is now “more of an airline and dining card, whereas it used to cater to hotel guests,” said Ted Rossman, industry analyst at CreditCards.com."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ci...rds-2018-10-23

There is *some* good news:
"Along with the increased rewards for dining and air travel purchases, the card is expanding its existing $250 credit to include all travel-related purchases instead of just air travel spending. In May, cardholders also will get cellphone protection for damage and theft if the card is used to pay the monthly cell bill."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ds/1739360002/

In other words trend of bundling or whatever you want to call tightening the "relationship" grip that seems to be dominating the consumer market continues.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by milypan
Look, I know all about redemption charts, alliance partners, award booking search engines, etc. But I also value things like schedule, flight availability, and EQMs. So after accounting for these factors, plus the huge number of redeemable miles I typically earn on paid flights, and fuel surcharges/fees, a “$4,000” overseas J ticket may be worth only $1,600 to me. If I can get it for under 100k points that’s still a decent value, but it’s nowhere near the value of “3-4 cents per mile” that one might initially assume.
It all comes down to how much I am willing to pay, if I don't have miles. The most I am willing to pay for US-Europe rt Business Class, is $2500 (fees included), quick example of me transferring TYP to Turkish Airlines, 90K points for RT Business Capacity Controlled (US-Europe) plus $650 surcharges and fees. Therefore each TYP is worth

($2500 - $650)/(90K + 20K [opportunity cost - miles I would get flying revenue J ticket]) <= 1.68c

So this is close to how much the bloggers have accessed the TYP at 1.7c.Obviously the usual fares are at least $3000 and many of passengers have the tickets paid for by employers.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is the fourth night free automatic or at certain hotels only?

If I stay at a $250 a night hotel and charge say $1100 to include taxes and fees, will Citi automatically credit your account 1/4 of that $1100? How would they know how many nights are represented by that charge?

What kind of documentation if any does Citi require? A hotel bill showing how many nights and total charge matching what was charged on the card?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You have to book the hotel through Citi's concierge.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I guess I’ll be dumping this card along with my CSR next year.

The 4NF is compelling but I rarely stay 4 nights in one place or if I do, it’ll be at a Hilton resort and I’m not forfeiting my 44X pts/$ plus breakfast Diamond Aspire perks for just 25% off a base rate.

I suppose maybe if i found a four seasons or I happen to stay at the ritz carlton in Singapore that doesn’t participate in Marriott rewards...all corner cases. I guess I can park this card as a Preferred card and then product change back when I can anticipate heavy travel again.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
The 4NF is compelling but I rarely stay 4 nights in one place or if I do, it’ll be at a Hilton resort and I’m not forfeiting my 44X pts/$ plus breakfast Diamond Aspire perks for just 25% off a base rate.
Little confused about this. If you book online, then yes, you can’t earn or use elite benefits. But if you call in and book through the concierge, they are just booking directly with the hotel for you, so you should still earn/use loyalty benefits.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
So I see there's a use-cap on 4NF -- is there a dollar cap though?

I could go blow two 4NF at a random Courtyard Marriott or something, but that vastly pales in comparison to if I were to go book the Ritz Carlton for eight nights across two stays instead.
No dollar cap currently, and this doesn't seem to be changing at the moment. There are many stories about people using the benefit for more than $1,000 per night. Frankly, I would have preferred a dollar cap of perhaps a few hundred dollars per night over a usage cap of only 2 nights per year, but of course everyone's needs are different. My hope is that they launch with a killer signup offer, and I can just sign my wife up for the card and we end up with 4 uses per year. I was already starting to transition my spend from my CSR to the Prestige due to the TYP transfer partners being more valuable for my needs, but this really seals the deal.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by antonius66
That is corporate bs like always. "No one uses this benefit so we're changing it to still be more generous than what anyone uses." Yeah right. .
Actually, in most cases when companies say this, it is true. Companies often cut benefits that have extremely low utilization, but very high expense. The vast majority of Prestige customers weren't using 4th night free more than twice per year. They just aren't. Super users of this benefit cost them big money.

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
How? If anything the changes makes a stronger case of keeping the Prestige and drop the CSR.

At the increased $495 AF, minus the $250 travel credit, you are at net $245 AF. As long as you get $245 of value out of the two 4NF, you are at at net $0 annual fee (or up by whatever value your nights are worth).
DOC also mentioned the $350 Prestige are staying at $350.

At this point you will need a reason to justify even holding the CSR and pay a net $150 AF, and earning less for Air Travel and Dinning if you actually put spend on it.
On the surface, these changes to Prestige are smart. 5x on dining and air = more than Chase's 3x. 5 is more than 3, right? They clearly took the battle to Chase, which was unexpected. However, on the back end, are you REALLY getting that much more? Is the average person really benefiting that much more from the extra 2 TYP on airfare and dining to more than pay for the extra $45 in AF? At $2250 in additional airfare and dining spend, you have broken even with the new AF difference. What about the background devaluations?

This news caught my attention, as it was intended to do. Upon further inspection, CSR still wins for me. Much lower effective AF. Better insurance for travel. 50% travel portal bonus is actually better in most instances than 4NF, point for point. Plus I can apply it to cruises, which is huge for me. All this without even getting into the vast UR card network that also brings in many other 5x and other bonus potentials.

For Hotels, I actually prefer neither the CSR nor Prestige. Aspire wins for me and IHG Premium also works quite well.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Actually, in most cases when companies say this, it is true. Companies often cut benefits that have extremely low utilization, but very high expense. The vast majority of Prestige customers weren't using 4th night free more than twice per year. They just aren't. Super users of this benefit cost them big money.

On the surface, these changes to Prestige are smart. 5x on dining and air = more than Chase's 3x. 5 is more than 3, right? They clearly took the battle to Chase, which was unexpected. However, on the back end, are you REALLY getting that much more? Is the average person really benefiting that much more from the extra 2 TYP on airfare and dining to more than pay for the extra $45 in AF? At $2250 in additional airfare and dining spend, you have broken even with the new AF difference. What about the background devaluations?

This news caught my attention, as it was intended to do. Upon further inspection, CSR still wins for me. Much lower effective AF. Better insurance for travel. 50% travel portal bonus is actually better in most instances than 4NF, point for point. Plus I can apply it to cruises, which is huge for me. All this without even getting into the vast UR card network that also brings in many other 5x and other bonus potentials.

For Hotels, I actually prefer neither the CSR nor Prestige. Aspire wins for me and IHG Premium also works quite well.
I think that Prestige becomes better than both CSR and Amex Platinum. It's $100 more expensive than CSR, but you get more points for airfare, dining and travel agencies, and the same for hotels and cruise lines. But you get 2 free nights, which is definitely more than $100.
Compared to Amex Platinum, it wins everywhere, because Amex perks are harder to use. I'm planning to get my Prestige out of sock drawer and start using it for dining, airfare, and travel agencies, and planning to dump my Platinum.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:46 am

I think for those doing this with P1 and P2, its not excessive to have Prestige and CSR.

We've been doing that, and getting value out of it.

I think for next year though I'll PC my CSR to something free though since I just picked up the USB Altitude Reserve.

Our main use for points is non chain hotels at peak times as the places we go tend not to have the big franchised brands.

And even the portals are iffy about showing those. I've found the CSR UR travel portal pretty weak for the kinds of hotels we use unf. e.g. Expedia might show 40 hotels in our target area, but the UR portal (also driven by Connexions/Expedia) only shows 10 or so. That happens over and over. So to me, that 1.5x redemption value through the portal isn't as helpful as it might initially seem.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yugi
I think that Prestige becomes better than both CSR and Amex Platinum. It's $100 more expensive than CSR, but you get more points for airfare, dining and travel agencies, and the same for hotels and cruise lines. But you get 2 free nights, which is definitely more than $100.
Compared to Amex Platinum, it wins everywhere, because Amex perks are harder to use. I'm planning to get my Prestige out of sock drawer and start using it for dining, airfare, and travel agencies, and planning to dump my Platinum.
I think you are missing the bigger picture on the "free nights". Citi's 4th night free is essentially a 25% discount. Chase's 50% bonus is a 33% discount. Is 8% a game-changer? No, but it sure doesn't make Chase's benefit inferior. Now for the real difference maker here, Chase gives you the freedom to book whatever you want with those points, to get the bonus. 1 night, 4 nights, 6 nights, any duration, all 33% off, and with no limit. Citi makes you do 4 nights, can use it twice. For Citi to win here, you need a very specific profile. One that is very high on airfare and dining, and two, four night stays, at a very expensive resort.

But I do agree with you that this is more of a spending card than the Platinum.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I think you are missing the bigger picture on the "free nights". Citi's 4th night free is essentially a 25% discount. Chase's 50% bonus is a 33% discount. Is 8% a game-changer? No, but it sure doesn't make Chase's benefit inferior. Now for the real difference maker here, Chase gives you the freedom to book whatever you want with those points, to get the bonus. 1 night, 4 nights, 6 nights, any duration, all 33% off, and with no limit. Citi makes you do 4 nights, can use it twice. For Citi to win here, you need a very specific profile. One that is very high on airfare and dining, and two, four night stays, at a very expensive resort.

But I do agree with you that this is more of a spending card than the Platinum.
To get the uplift at Chase, you have to book through their portal. Their hotel selection in many situations is limited -- it's a constrained version of Expedia.

The 4NF at Citi can be used through their comparable portal, OR through their concierge, who can pretty much get anything AND can usually append your loyalty number to a reservation. They can also usually get any discount the hotel might be offering directly, like through their own private email list.

We've had situations where they also had access to room types that may not be sold on the big platforms, special suites etc.

Of course using the concierge is a little slower, typically taking a few hours to get bookings sorted out, compared to online direct with a hotel.

This might not matter for some people. But I've noticed a real difference in comparing the booking platforms between CSR and Prestige over the last few years, for our use cases.

Maybe if one just goes to big metro areas with lots of chains it doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.