FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:51 am
Super Mario

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yugi
I think that Prestige becomes better than both CSR and Amex Platinum. It's $100 more expensive than CSR, but you get more points for airfare, dining and travel agencies, and the same for hotels and cruise lines. But you get 2 free nights, which is definitely more than $100.
Compared to Amex Platinum, it wins everywhere, because Amex perks are harder to use. I'm planning to get my Prestige out of sock drawer and start using it for dining, airfare, and travel agencies, and planning to dump my Platinum.
I think you are missing the bigger picture on the "free nights". Citi's 4th night free is essentially a 25% discount. Chase's 50% bonus is a 33% discount. Is 8% a game-changer? No, but it sure doesn't make Chase's benefit inferior. Now for the real difference maker here, Chase gives you the freedom to book whatever you want with those points, to get the bonus. 1 night, 4 nights, 6 nights, any duration, all 33% off, and with no limit. Citi makes you do 4 nights, can use it twice. For Citi to win here, you need a very specific profile. One that is very high on airfare and dining, and two, four night stays, at a very expensive resort.

But I do agree with you that this is more of a spending card than the Platinum.