Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:42 am

I use the 4NF benefit literally once a year with a travel club that I travel with that gets its own room block code. Even with this, I figure this card saves me 200 to 400 dollars per year max above the beyond annual fee. If I can no longer book within their room block using their code, I am done. This card used to be great. I will just transfer completely to the Chase ecosystem.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by soy
Now that the Prestige is being 'enhanced', is there any other card out there that offers immediate family PP lounge access (or 3 guests) ?
Most seem to top out at 2 guests, or else are just generally uncompetitive to begin with.

Even with the other changes I was a keeper at $350, but not at $495
The currently unavailable old Ritz card gives you unlimited guests for the primary card holder and for every autherized users (which are free) as well. This the reason to keep that card.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
"The complimentary Fourth Night benefit is intended only for personal use by the primary cardmember and not for business travel."

Does anyone want to speculate why they added this clause to the terms?

It talks about intent, which is surprisingly soft language. I'd expect something stronger like "4NF is not valid for business travel". And it seems pretty unenforceable, since Citi has no way of knowing the purpose of ones travel.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by swag

DONE. I don't think they are interested in the purpose of any individual stay, but in the pattern, although they could add a question to the booking process.

Last edited by mia; Nov 10, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swag
"The complimentary Fourth Night benefit is intended only for personal use by the primary cardmember and not for business travel."

It talks about intent, which is surprisingly soft language. I'd expect something stronger like "4NF is not valid for business travel". And it seems pretty unenforceable, since Citi has no way of knowing the purpose of ones travel.
That means no more booking corporate negotiated rates which they are enforcing by requiring 4NF booking thru Thank You portal/phone #.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by soy
Now that the Prestige is being 'enhanced', is there any other card out there that offers immediate family PP lounge access (or 3 guests) ?
Most seem to top out at 2 guests, or else are just generally uncompetitive to begin with.

Even with the other changes I was a keeper at $350, but not at $495
I realize its not exactly what you are asking for but the Ascend offers 10 visits for an annual fee of $95.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Citigold can be had rather cheaply, if you have otherwise dormant rollover IRA assets sitting anywhere else.
Appreciate the explanation and totally understand this, but I choose to keep my investment accounts at other institutions for a variety of reasons. First Citi devalues a lot of Citigold clients to Priority, and now they pull another benefit away.

Other thoughts I've had:

While the higher earn categories are nice (I spend a lot on dining, though Airfare usually goes on my Amex Platinum), they seem to really be hacking away other great benefits this card once had that I valued:
- Points for airfare purchase have been declining, from $0.016 for AA and now at 0.01/point I no longer see any value for redeeming in this category
- I could live with the reduction to 2 4NF's, but if I'm not going to get any elite benefits this really has no value to me anymore
- I have Priority Pass through Amex so that's a wash (and don't forget the long gone Admirals Club access)
- Relative annual fee goes up from $100 to $245 for me.

So in 12 months I'll have a card I pay $245 for just to get 5x on dining with transfer to a more limited partner base than Amex or Chase. The change to portal booking only for the 4NF is likely the nail in the coffin for me. That is the only thing that could have wiped away the $245 AF. I'll continue to enjoy the card for another year as my AF is due soon, but will be done after that. Will probably look to the new Amex Gold for other bonus category spend.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Citi doesn't block my Prestige account when I travel far with short notice. For me this is another added plus.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Citi doesn't block my Prestige account when I travel far with short notice. For me this is another added plus.
This has always been a plus for me, as well. ^^
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:25 pm

The challenge that I have with the Prestige card, as well as most other domestic card issuers, is the lack of chip plus pin. It is a killer at unmanned parking garages and gas stations in Europe. I keep paying for a Barclays card just for this reason.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TTT103
The challenge that I have with the Prestige card, as well as most other domestic card issuers, is the lack of chip plus pin. It is a killer at unmanned parking garages and gas stations in Europe. I keep paying for a Barclays card just for this reason.
Indeed, we were bit by this in a parking garage in Ireland once. Very frustrating/annoying.

Regards
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
To get the uplift at Chase, you have to book through their portal. Their hotel selection in many situations is limited -- it's a constrained version of Expedia.

The 4NF at Citi can be used through their comparable portal, OR through their concierge, who can pretty much get anything AND can usually append your loyalty number to a reservation. They can also usually get any discount the hotel might be offering directly, like through their own private email list.

We've had situations where they also had access to room types that may not be sold on the big platforms, special suites etc.

Of course using the concierge is a little slower, typically taking a few hours to get bookings sorted out, compared to online direct with a hotel.

This might not matter for some people. But I've noticed a real difference in comparing the booking platforms between CSR and Prestige over the last few years, for our use cases.

Maybe if one just goes to big metro areas with lots of chains it doesn't matter.
Concierge bookings are now dead
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Concierge bookings are now dead
They are not "now" dead; the change doesn't take effect until Sept 1st, 2019, which is almost a year away. I'm pretty sure almost a year is not equal to now.

No need to manufacture additional drama...

Regards
SNA_Flyer and jeepie like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Curious who does? I don’t have a single card that has ever declined and I travel extensively and never notify. Amex and Chase have specifically instructed me that I don’t need to call when I’m traveling, that their algorithm is sophisticated enough to know my travel patterns
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
Curious who does? I don’t have a single card that has ever declined and I travel extensively and never notify. Amex and Chase have specifically instructed me that I don’t need to call when I’m traveling, that their algorithm is sophisticated enough to know my travel patterns
Chase seems to block you randomly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.