FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:32 am
SNA_Flyer

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Citigold can be had rather cheaply, if you have otherwise dormant rollover IRA assets sitting anywhere else.
Appreciate the explanation and totally understand this, but I choose to keep my investment accounts at other institutions for a variety of reasons. First Citi devalues a lot of Citigold clients to Priority, and now they pull another benefit away.

Other thoughts I've had:

While the higher earn categories are nice (I spend a lot on dining, though Airfare usually goes on my Amex Platinum), they seem to really be hacking away other great benefits this card once had that I valued:
- Points for airfare purchase have been declining, from $0.016 for AA and now at 0.01/point I no longer see any value for redeeming in this category
- I could live with the reduction to 2 4NF's, but if I'm not going to get any elite benefits this really has no value to me anymore
- I have Priority Pass through Amex so that's a wash (and don't forget the long gone Admirals Club access)
- Relative annual fee goes up from $100 to $245 for me.

So in 12 months I'll have a card I pay $245 for just to get 5x on dining with transfer to a more limited partner base than Amex or Chase. The change to portal booking only for the 4NF is likely the nail in the coffin for me. That is the only thing that could have wiped away the $245 AF. I'll continue to enjoy the card for another year as my AF is due soon, but will be done after that. Will probably look to the new Amex Gold for other bonus category spend.