Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Did BOA give a reason for the denial ?

My wife has one more mailer that she will use in about 9 days ( 5/15) then may go for another NAF Hilton. She has never had any other Citi cards so we'll run through those first as well as a AA business so BOA won't come until late 2019/early 2020 when she winds things down and I start getting cards
I don't recall, but too many new accounts is really the only good reason to deny me. I even opened a BofA checking account (for a $300 bonus) to improve my chances based on posts in the BofA section of Flyertalk, but that wasn't enough to help. I think at one point I got a letter saying too many new accounts and no banking relationship with BofA (or something like that). Then, months later when I opened the checking account I tried again, and I think I got a letter saying only too many new accounts.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

To show how much I know about other Citi cards is the Premier and TYP the same card ?

IME churners have NO SHOT at Cap One Venture cards. I love those ( Arrival also) cards as I use them to pay charges to our room in Vegas, etc

BOA may work as all I see is that the are limiting BOA cards now
:You're a FT member for 10 years, with 4K+ posts, but you don't know that TYP is not a card, but the name of the points you get with several Citi TYP cards, such as the Premiere and the Prestige, among others? Well, yes, that is the case.

As for Cap One, I have no recent experience as years ago I responded to a targeted offer from them, they HPed all 3 CBs, then turned me down because I was something like 4/24. Can't imagine what they'd think now that I'm LOL/24 ! And AFAIK, B/A and Barclays are now very HP paranoid, so for most of us that's just a wasted app.

AFAIK, this game is pretty much over, unless you are just starting out at 0/24. From time to time there may be a new AMEX card, or you may get a targeted offer that clearly says "no restrictions" on when you had it last, etc. But unless Citi prints some new mailers and starts sending them out, it's pretty much game, set, match, over for most of us. The only thing I'm still doing (after we each use the final mailer we have) is HH points from grocery spend, which after MS fees comes out around 40% of the rack rate to just pay for the rooms. I'm lucky there, as I still have grocery stores where I can buy GCs, and others where I can turn them into MOs, and it seems most people don't even have that anymore. Oh, and we both have 2 IHG cards, so that's a combined 2 free nights a year.

It was fun while it lasted though, wasn't it?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
:You're a FT member for 10 years, with 4K+ posts, but you don't know that TYP is not a card, but the name of the points you get with several Citi TYP cards, such as the Premiere and the Prestige, among others? Well, yes, that is the case.

As for Cap One, I have no recent experience as years ago I responded to a targeted offer from them, they HPed all 3 CBs, then turned me down because I was something like 4/24. Can't imagine what they'd think now that I'm LOL/24 ! And AFAIK, B/A and Barclays are now very HP paranoid, so for most of us that's just a wasted app.

AFAIK, this game is pretty much over, unless you are just starting out at 0/24. From time to time there may be a new AMEX card, or you may get a targeted offer that clearly says "no restrictions" on when you had it last, etc. But unless Citi prints some new mailers and starts sending them out, it's pretty much game, set, match, over for most of us. The only thing I'm still doing (after we each use the final mailer we have) is HH points from grocery spend, which after MS fees comes out around 40% of the rack rate to just pay for the rooms. I'm lucky there, as I still have grocery stores where I can buy GCs, and others where I can turn them into MOs, and it seems most people don't even have that anymore. Oh, and we both have 2 IHG cards, so that's a combined 2 free nights a year.

It was fun while it lasted though, wasn't it?
I prepared for this day when Chase 5/24 was announced and that's why I'm headed for 0/24.

I had a TYP card years ( 7 years according to my records ) ago and I wrote in my records it was a Thank You card (MC and Visa).

We were busy nailing citi for about 4 million Hilton points via the old Citi HH churn ( about the same amount on American via the current AA mailer churn) for the past 9 years so I never had a need to look at other citi cards...................hence my question............Good to know the Wife can get at least 3 more Citi cards if the AA game ends.

I also never had a CSP card or the new INK.................plenty of points for me waiting in 2020 and beyond

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 4, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: spg gold
Oh no, almost sounds like RobertHanson was saying good bye. ( thanks for all your insight)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
:....

AFAIK, this game is pretty much over
It ended in 2009:

Citi AAdvantage churning over

Citibank - the jig is up...

Citi's branch network is much smaller than Chase, Bank of America or Wells Fargo. Branches generate card applications. Citi needs to use mailers (postal or electronic) or online ads to generate applications. It's cheaper than opening more branches or acquiring local banks.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by mia
Citi's branch network is much smaller than Chase, Bank of America or Wells Fargo. Branches generate card applications. Citi needs to use mailers (postal or electronic) or online ads to generate applications. It's cheaper than opening more branches or acquiring local banks.
Tell that to Citi, would ya? We're ready, willing and able to help out.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:58 am

I prepared for this day when Chase 5/24 was announced and that's why I'm headed for 0/24.

I had a TYP card years ( 7 years according to my records ) ago and I wrote in my records it was a Thank You card (MC and Visa).

We were busy nailing citi for about 4 million Hilton points via the old Citi HH churn ( about the same amount on American via the current AA mailer churn) for the past 9 years so I never had a need to look at other citi cards...................hence my question............Good to know the Wife can get at least 3 more Citi cards if the AA game ends.

I also never had a CSP card or the new INK.................plenty of points for me waiting in 2020 and beyond
My Bad.. I didn't know there had ever been a TYP card. I was busy with other banks apparently. Sorry...
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Oh no, almost sounds like RobertHanson was saying good bye. ( thanks for all your insight)
You're welcome, but NO, I wasn't saying good bye. I'm sure I'll still be sending out Christmas cards for a few more years.

All I meant was, as good as the game may be for a total newcomer at 0/24 who can still apply for all these great sign up bonuses, for those of us who have been hitting it hard for a decade there is very little left to do, and certainly no low-hanging fruit to pick. DW and I both have another AA card in the mail, and one more mailer to do at the beginning of August. Which is good, of course, but compared to the probably 4 Million miles we have gotten together over the past decade, it's nothing to write home (to FT) about...

And we can still MS spend at grocery stores for 6/8 HH points per $. Which is far from free, but for mid level HH properties in Europe, it comes out to about a 60% discount over paying for the room.

But new cards? B/A, Barclays, Chase, and Cap One are all off limits, due to MAC. We've already had all of the AMEX cards. Without new mailers the only Citi cards we can get within the next 4 years would be another Premiere card. But as good as TYPs may be for Bus class to Asia (been there done that), they are pretty much useless for FC to Europe, which is our preferred way to go (yes in both senses).

For anyone who reads the major travel blogs, you know there is almost nothing of interest there. OMAAT is now reduced to posts like "JetBlue Suing Walmart Over JetBlackName", and "Pakistan Airlines wants to Launch Nonstop US Flights". It'll be a cold day in Hell when I fly either to or from Pakistan to anywhere, and non-stop flights aren't going to change that. And note that they aren't starting those flights, they just "want" to do so. Yep, if you aren't a newcomer to miles/points, there is virtually no news you can use.

So the miles and points game isn't dead yet, but it's on major life support. Aside from the occasional report of a Near Death Experience, there's not much there to hold our interest.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

For anyone who reads the major travel blogs, you know there is almost nothing of interest there. OMAAT is now reduced to posts like "JetBlue Suing Walmart Over JetBlackName", and "Pakistan Airlines wants to Launch Nonstop US Flights". It'll be a cold day in Hell when I fly either to or from Pakistan to anywhere, and non-stop flights aren't going to change that. And note that they aren't starting those flights, they just "want" to do so. Yep, if you aren't a newcomer to miles/points, there is virtually no news you can use.

So the miles and points game isn't dead yet, but it's on major life support. Aside from the occasional report of a Near Death Experience, there's not much there to hold our interest.
You're right about the blogs. There isn't much to write about anymore. I used to spend a lot of time on a lot of blogs devoted to this hobby, but I don't do that anymore. Makes me wonder if some of those sites will eventually die off. There's one with a name I always thought was ironic: Travel Is Free. Travel is actually pretty expensive in most cases, but there was this cottage industry that formed around getting other people (credit card marketing departments) to foot the bill for our travel. There was no way that was going to last forever.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Nice. I have P1/P2 as well but only managed to get to 240k total b/w the 2 of us + CP.
I have 3 players ( a dad who does not travel) and year 1 ( 2015) when I realized that companion pass was not just a one time use like many other companion passes were each able to get about 185K WN points as you could get 2 personal 60K cards plus a business and the was no 5/24.

Doing so gave us about 575K WN points off the bat and as I pointed out flights were super cheap back then so we weren't burning the 180K each person could get every 2 years.

My Bad.. I didn't know there had ever been a TYP card. I was busy with other banks apparently. Sorry...
I have no idea if it was really called the Thank You card, that is what I wrote down. Back then there were very few rules regarding getting the same card again so there wasn't much need to keep precise records as far as exactly what type ( product) of card you opened.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:33 pm

All I meant was, as good as the game may be for a total newcomer at 0/24 who can still apply for all these great sign up bonuses, for those of us who have been hitting it hard for a decade there is very little left to do, and certainly no low-hanging fruit to pick.
Read back a few of my posts, there is a link to a NAF HH 75K/$1K Amex with no lifetime language. My wife's 75K posted this week.

I have read data points on DOC saying you can have more than one of the same HH Amex. We have 1 more mailer to use in a week or so then I'll see if they give her another NAF HH Amex

She has 3 open Amex cards, I think 4 is the limit.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 5, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

Read back a few of my posts, there is a link to a NAF HH 75K/$1K Amex with no lifetime language. My wife's 75K posted this week.

I have read data points on DOC saying you can ave more than one of the same HH Amex. We have 1 more mailer to use in a week or so then I'll see if they give her another NAF HH Amex

Good point but Hilton points value is so very low it’s almost not worth a credit pull.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have read data points on DOC saying you can ave more than one of the same HH Amex. We have 1 more mailer to use in a week or so then I'll see if they give her another NAF HH Amex

5 credit cards and unknown number of charge card. (the Plat / Gold / Green).
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Robl

Good point but Hilton points value is so very low it’s almost not worth a credit pull.
75 K can be worth $350 easy, we use 5th night free for a gulf front room in Florida during peak season so we get ~ $400 out of 48k HH

I doubt people who have been hitting the AA churn care about a credit pull as they aren't getting cards ( except the occasional offer like this) for years.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Robl

I got that card months ago, with the 75,000 bonus, and AMEX doesn't even pull my credit anymore. Citi AA's take some grit for me because I do not MS them, but that Hilton AMEX gig felt too damn easy.

I may go for a second using this public link above because I have nothing to lose really. I have the first card still open since it is No Annual Fee, so it will be a good test to see if I can get the bonus.

Does anyone know how to force a Hilton AMEX No Annual Fee card to Ascend upgrade bonus email offer? :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.