Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
People have posted about Citi AA retention offers of 3K for spending $500 ( I think).........maybe you could get one or more ( do you have more than one AA card open) to bridge the gap if you call and say you are going to cancel the card(s).
That's a good idea, I have three that I've been meaning to close. I'll call in and see if I can get anything.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Amex pop ups are based on a combination of factors including opening and closing Amex cards (particularly ones where you got a sign up bonus) plus not spending above a certain threshold on your existing Amex cards.

LOL/24 has nothing to do with it.
My wife spends about $100K a year on her Amex Business card.

There are many cards ( Amex and others ) that she has never had so it's good news that she will be all set to get the Amex cards after this last mailer.........................too bad it doesn't seem to work like that for her
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:31 am
formerly atomicfront

Based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Because you have or have had The Platinum Card, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Above are the message the pop up gives...........They are discussed in the link I listed below

My wife received the pop up saying she would not receive the bonus for a HH Biz card, a card she has never had.

A few weeks later applied for and received ( no pop up) the 75K bonus on a HH NAF amex ( a card she has had several times and recently upgraded to Ascend) via a link DOC posted with no lifetime language.

Earlier this year ( before the HH BIZ app) she applied for a DL BIZ ( another card she has never had) and received the same pop up message saying no bonus but a few months later she was able to get the DL business and the bonus via a targeted email.

How or why the no lifetime language and the targeted email bypassed the pop up I have no idea but it did.

It's all on this blog and the Amex sub forum on Flyertalk

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-n...fication-tool/
I got the pop-up on the Hilton Biz and the same day applied for Hilton Ascend with 150k bonus and no pop up. Got the bonus. Then a month later Applied for Hilton no fee personal got pop-up and then applied for personal Green and got no pop up. And received bonus. So the pop-ups are definitely card specific.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by atomicfront
I got the pop-up on the Hilton Biz and the same day applied for Hilton Ascend with 150k bonus and no pop up. Got the bonus. Then a month later Applied for Hilton no fee personal got pop-up and then applied for personal Green and got no pop up. And received bonus. So the pop-ups are definitely card specific.
In a sea of chatter, this is one the best data points I've seen contributed. Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:02 am

In a sea of chatter, this is one the best data points I've seen contributed. Thanks a lot.
And to confirm, you are absolutely correct.

I just used incognito to generate a 25,000 MR bonus for spending $1,000 link for the Amex Green Card.

Applied, got a pending, called in and did ID verification and was approved. They asked me about my Experian, which I said was frozen, and I offered to unfreeze it but they said no need.

I was definitely in pop up hell with both the Delta Reserve cards, the Marriott Bonvoy card, and the Hilton Business card. Bottom line, you can play around with this stuff.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
formerly atomicfront

Also I would like to add that going incognito at my work (a Corporate Travel 100 company) I see a lot better offers than when at home or when I am at a clients site.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:02 am

People have posted about Citi AA retention offers of 3K for spending $500 ( I think).........maybe you could get one or more ( do you have more than one AA card open) to bridge the gap if you call and say you are going to cancel the card(s).
Called in to close my oldest card, opened 1/31/19, and was offered 3000 miles for a $500 spend. Going to try some of my other cards in the next few weeks and see if I can duplicate my results, this could be the new version of the 75k match.
flyer4512 and Robl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Called in to close my oldest card, opened 1/31/19, and was offered 3000 miles for a $500 spend. Going to try some of my other cards in the next few weeks and see if I can duplicate my results, this could be the new version of the 75k match.
A 3 K for spend vs a 15 K for no spend doesn't really compare ... I'm not that desperate with my stack at this point.
rover4618 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Cool, then all the heavy churners are all set from once the last mailers are used..................You heard it guys..............Amex is waiting, lol

Wife received the pop up saying she would not get the bonus on HH Amex BIZ card she never had......................a few weeks later she was approved approved for a NAF HH amex ( a card she has had before) via a link with no lifetime language.

She had a similar experience with a DL Amex biz ( another card she has never had) earlier this year................later approved via a email link

The pop ups are common talk on the Amex forum as they have been around for years

If somehow you are avoiding them that's great but I assure you that is not the case for most LOL/24
Originally Posted by wyogold
That's why. If you had been spending a bunch with Amex and you had several cards you'd be in like Flynn. My wife and I are heavy churners, have been for years, we're both in Amex' good books. We do spend 40-50 K each on Amex cards, mostly grocery MS, but the gold Amex is on top of our wallet too. And we've opened / closed our fair share of Amex cards over the years, and we have never had any problems getting approved with Amex. They don't even pull credit because we have in essence our own credit file with Amex going back 10+ years.

I run the CC apps for 5 people (spouse, 3 adult kids) and have NEVER seen the pop up. Each of us is around 3x/24. Auto approval and bonus for every amex card. I submit that your contention, flyer, that this is a problem for most lol/24 is wrong. You and a few others appear to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I run the CC apps for 5 people (spouse, 3 adult kids) and have NEVER seen the pop up. Each of us is around 3x/24. Auto approval and bonus for every amex card. I submit that your contention, flyer, that this is a problem for most lol/24 is wrong. You and a few others appear to be the exception rather than the rule.
Great, then most of the AA churners can move to Amex now.......................Hopefully more DPs will follow

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Just submitted an app on a 5/15 mailer (which would put me at 63 days). Got the 7-10 day message so I suspect when I call later it will get approved.

Incidentally, I also applied for a Hilton Ascend card and I received the "because you have so many damn cards, you don't qualify for the welcome bonus".

I'm about 16/24
Wait, you don't qualify bc you've had a HH card before, or just bc of a high HP count? And did they tell you that before you finished the app, or after?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....also applied for a Hilton Ascend card and I received the "because you have so many damn cards, you don't qualify for the welcome bonus".
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Wait, you don't qualify bc you've had a HH card before, or just bc of a high HP count? And did they tell you that before you finished the app, or after?
American Express displays a popup during the application process to notify if you are ineligible for a bonus. Discussion here:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Had to tell why - did not say. Only Hilton card I have is a biz card I opened almost 1 year ago. Since then I've been doing monthly AA apps (had a 5 month break). They told me that AFTER the app at the pop up as Mia highlights here:

Originally Posted by mia
American Express displays a popup during the application process to notify if you are ineligible for a bonus. Discussion here:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Yep, I tried the application with the public 125k offer, the 150k incognito offer and the referral incognito 140k app. All 3 yielded the dreaded pop up.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:08 am

Had to tell why - did not say. Only Hilton card I have is a biz card I opened almost 1 year ago. Since then I've been doing monthly AA apps (had a 5 month break). They told me that AFTER the app at the pop up as Mia highlights here:

Yep, I tried the application with the public 125k offer, the 150k incognito offer and the referral incognito 140k app. All 3 yielded the dreaded pop up.
I would encourage you to try some other Amex card offers too ... if you actually want the cards, of course. Pop ups can vary card to card.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:41 am

I would encourage you to try some other Amex card offers too ... if you actually want the cards, of course. Pop ups can vary card to card.
No doubt - my plan was to begin stockpiling hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.