Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Old Jul 25, 18, 8:16 am
Original Poster

I'm curious if people who have been hitting the AA card hard for a while now (almost everybody in this thread) have applied for any of the Chase cards that are not yet subject to 5/24. There have been reports that Chase has closed accounts of people who have opened non-5/24 cards based on having lots of new accounts with other issuers. I would like to apply for an IHG card for the bonus, and that seemed like a safe thing to do until these fairly recent warnings about Chase started popping up. Not sure it's worth the risk, but I'm curious if others in this thread have applied with Chase without any issues.
Old Jul 25, 18, 8:20 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by LWT3 View Post
I'm curious if people who have been hitting the AA card hard for a while now (almost everybody in this thread) have applied for any of the Chase cards that are not yet subject to 5/24. There have been reports that Chase has closed accounts of people who have opened non-5/24 cards based on having lots of new accounts with other issuers. I would like to apply for an IHG card for the bonus, and that seemed like a safe thing to do until these fairly recent warnings about Chase started popping up. Not sure it's worth the risk, but I'm curious if others in this thread have applied with Chase without any issues.
Don't know if this will help but I picked up a Marriott business card about a month ago. But, I read recently in a blog (forgot which one) that Chase may start applying the 5/24 rule to all their cards (rumor, of course).
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredc84 View Post
Don't know if this will help but I picked up a Marriott business card about a month ago. But, I read recently in a blog (forgot which one) that Chase may start applying the 5/24 rule to all their cards (rumor, of course).
Thanks. It seems like the highest risk approach is opening a new non-5/24 card with Chase with lots of recent non-Chase apps combined with high spending on the new Chase card. If you avoid putting a lot of new spend on the new Chase card, the risk is lower but not zero. I've just applied for soooo many Citi cards and a handful of others that I would be very easy to spot as a churner if anybody from Chase ever looks at my credit file.
Old Jul 26, 18, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Thanks. It seems like the highest risk approach is opening a new non-5/24 card with Chase with lots of recent non-Chase apps combined with high spending on the new Chase card. If you avoid putting a lot of new spend on the new Chase card, the risk is lower but not zero. I've just applied for soooo many Citi cards and a handful of others that I would be very easy to spot as a churner if anybody from Chase ever looks at my credit file.

I believe there is a recent post on this thread where a guy was approved for a Hyatt card and had all his cards closed by Chase before he completed the spend to get the bonus

MY wife is 3/24 with 2 Chase business cards, we have use for the Hyatt points so we are getting her that card next and then she will be done with Chase cards for over 3 years as we change back and forth , one of use gets cards for ~ 2 years while the other takes a 2 year break.

We have millions of miles/points in stock so no need to take any chances with Chase and there are many Amex cards that she has never had plus BOA and hopefully this AA churns lasts

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 26, 18 at 2:08 pm
Old Jul 26, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
I believe there is a recent post on this thread where a guy was approved for a Hyatt card and had all his cards closed by Chase before he completed the spend to get the bonus

MY wife is 3/24 with 2 Chase business cards, we have use for the Hyatt points so we are getting her that card next and then she will be done with Chase cards for over 3 years as we change back and forth , one of use gets cards for ~ 2 years while the other takes a 2 year break.

We have millions of miles/points in stock so no need to take any chances with Chase and there are may Amex cards that she has never had plus BOA and hopefully this AA churns lasts
Thanks for the cautionary note. This is one case in which I don't want to take any risk. Please send me a PM or post about your wife's results with BOA. I assume since she is so low on apps recently she will be OK. I used to have no problem with BOA approvals, but now I can't get anything through due to the number of apps on my file.
Old Jul 26, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Thanks for the cautionary note. This is one case in which I don't want to take any risk. Please send me a PM or post about your wife's results with BOA. I assume since she is so low on apps recently she will be OK. I used to have no problem with BOA approvals, but now I can't get anything through due to the number of apps on my file.

Not sure about now but I was able to get 5 BOA cards in 2017 ( must recent Alaska Business 11/2017)and I was not a BOA customer prior to 2017.

I had a lot of apps at the time I applied for my first BOA as I hit the Hilton churn heavy plus other cards.

After her Hyatt card she will got to the AA churn and then Delta plat bus and personal. If the AA churn is alive in 2019 there is a good chance she never gets a BOA card
Old Jul 26, 18, 4:15 pm

Pretty solid "rumor", as several Travel Bloggers posted they were told this by Chase at an Affiliate meeting. However the operative term here is "eventually". Best guess is that Chase has to wait until their contracts with the co-brand partners expire, and then renegotiate them. We'll have to wait and see how that goes, as the co-brands won't want to have people not able to get their cards, as that will discourage people from doing business with them.
Old Jul 26, 18, 4:31 pm

I doubt it has anything to do with churning, as Chase can see that before they approve your app. From what I've heard, it's the fraud/risk department that looks into your accounts some time after the app. If they see a high level of spending that makes them nervous. But I think the "high spending on the new Chase card" is the most important part. No real reason to do heavy spending on any Chase personal card anyway. A business might put a lot on an Ink, but why would anyone hit a IHG or a Hyatt heavily? Much better places to put my spend IMHO.

Wonder how long this discussion can go on before a Mod interrupts with "People, this is a CITI thread"! :-)
Old Jul 26, 18, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with churning, as Chase can see that before they approve your app. From what I've heard, it's the fraud/risk department that looks into your accounts some time after the app. If they see a high level of spending that makes them nervous. But I think the "high spending on the new Chase card" is the most important part. No real reason to do heavy spending on any Chase personal card anyway. A business might put a lot on an Ink, but why would anyone hit a IHG or a Hyatt heavily? Much better places to put my spend IMHO.

Wonder how long this discussion can go on before a Mod interrupts with "People, this is a CITI thread"! :-)
If a person gets approved for say a $6K CL and bangs out the entire minimum spend on the first billing cycle they have used 33 1/3 % ( or more depending on spend amount,,Marriott minimum spend was 5K, and the new Hyatt is 6K ) of their available credit. I would guess Chase sees that as heavy spending.

As I said earlier, I have read stories where people were approved for a new Chase card and then shut down before they even completed ( I think one guy on Redit said he was shut down the first day he had the new card) the spend.

IMO, unless you are under 5/24 or really need Chase cards there is no reason to even risk it....wait and see how it plays out.
Old Jul 26, 18, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
They might, but I was specifically interested in responses from people in this thread, as I wanted thoughts/data points from people with my same pattern of churning this card almost monthly for years and then applying for a Chase card.
Old Jul 26, 18, 7:25 pm

I am lol/24 and recently got the Chase Hyatt card.
Old Jul 26, 18, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post

Hopefully you don't end up like this guy

Originally Posted by summerpavements View Post
Applied for the World of Hyatt card when it came out, application went pending, then automatically approved after a couple hours (it was my 6th card with Chase). It was a Friday, and the next Monday all of my cards were closed. Called to ask for a reinstatement review, gave detailed explanation, but got a call one week later saying the accounts couldn't be reopened. Cited two reasons:
- Repeatedly added and removed authorized users
- Too many new accounts opened within the last 24 months
Also sent an email to the CEO and the Executive Office got back to me a few days later saying they're keeping the original decision. Since the Executive Office also handles CFPB complaints I doubt it'd be of any help. Any chance of getting the accounts reinstated through other means? E.g. filing a complaint with the State Attorney General, etc.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 26, 18 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 27, 18, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Hopefully you don't end up like this guy
Not worried, but thanks for the concern.
I do not fit the Chase shutdown profile at all.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:48 am

Not worried, but thanks for the concern.
I do not fit the Chase shutdown profile at all.
Originally Posted by summerpavements View Post
Applied for the World of Hyatt card when it came out, application went pending, then automatically approved after a couple hours (it was my 6th card with Chase). It was a Friday, and the next Monday all of my cards were closed. Called to ask for a reinstatement review, gave detailed explanation, but got a call one week later saying the accounts couldn't be reopened. Cited two reasons:
- Repeatedly added and removed authorized users
- Too many new accounts opened within the last 24 months
Nobody knows the exact shutdown protocol but you no doubt have a least one red flag per the letter this person received and multiple similar stories on Reditt

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 27, 18 at 4:54 pm
Old Jul 27, 18, 11:12 am

Same here. We got the Marriott business cards a few months ago. We had each opened 5 cards with different issuers in the 6 months preceding that My strategy was to make sure we had lots of free CL with Chase before that app, so that there would be as little reason as possible for any person to have to lay eyes on it. One of us opened another Chase (personal) card 4 months later. That was probably too close, but we didn't get hit by anything, thankfully.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: