Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by MadMadso
For a data point, are all three still open? Or did you close each right after you did the spend? Do you have an on-line access to view your activity? ( one poster thought they could churn the business because they never signed up for the on-line access.). Thanks for your insight!!!
I have had 3-4 open at one time. I have three open right now. I always have online access. For the most recent ones it would not let me add another account to my online access and I had to setup a new account.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:48 am

Just to make sure I'm understanding the Wiki correct, AA Platinum should be applied for FIRST before Executive? So if I received numerous Execute cards last year, I can't apply for AA Personal Platinum? I need to wait the 12-18 months?

Day 1 50K HHonors (Starts 1 week rule and 60-day rule) No apps of any kind for a week (8 days).
Day 9 50K AA Personal (Starts 12-26 month clock, updates 60-day rule) No (non-executive) Personal AA cards for 12-26 months, no cards of any kind for 51 (56) days.
Day 70 50K AA Business (Starts 90-day rule, 1 week rule, and starts 60-day rule) No apps of any kind for a week (8 days), no Business apps for 90 (95) days.
Day 78 50K AA Executive (Restarts 12-26 month clock, updates 60-day rule) - No (non-executive) Personal AA cards for 12-26 months, no cards of any kind for 52 (57) days.
Day 135 50K HHonors (Starts 1-week clock) - No cards of any kind for a week (8 days).
For instance, in this example above, if Day 9 and Day 78 were swapped, this wouldn't work?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You cannot take your personal experience alone and extrapolate it to everyone else.

There have been people who have been able to apply for a second business card without cancelling the first one. The fact you couldn't doesn't mean that no one else could.

Are you sure Citi didn't close your Master Account without you asking for it? Ie, did you verify that your new card account is linked to the exact same Master Account number that your previous card account was linked to? If not, how can you know that your Master Account wasn't closed?
Just as a data point. It has been mentioned many times that to close out biz account , you must close both numbers .

I just closed my Biz account and told this to CSR and she said by closing Master account , meaning the one that differs from the numbers on the card itself , the entire account and all existing cards are closed
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Just to make sure I'm understanding the Wiki correct, AA Platinum should be applied for FIRST before Executive? So if I received numerous Execute cards last year, I can't apply for AA Personal Platinum? I need to wait the 12-18 months?

For instance, in this example above, if Day 9 and Day 78 were swapped, this wouldn't work?
Correct.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I have had 3-4 open at one time. I have three open right now. I always have online access. For the most recent ones it would not let me add another account to my online access and I had to setup a new account.
Thanks IkeEsq! Are all three the same type of card and for the same business name?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by MadMadso
Thanks IkeEsq! Are all three the same type of card and for the same business name?
Yes, all identical cards, all identical application information. Sole proprietorship, 1 year, 1-5 employees, $0 revenue, no EIN.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

Got shot down on my attempt at a third Biz card in 9 months. Older accounts closed but master account still open.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
My understanding is that the issue here is that both the plat and the exec count as a Citi/AAdvantage card, but only the plat contains the following in the terms:

This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card.

The Exec contains a different limitation instead:

50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage®bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive cardmembers approved through this offer. Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage®bonus miles after making $5,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership. American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive opened or closed in the past 18 months.

So while ANY previous Citi/AA card (plat or exec) within the timeframe prevents you from getting a new plat, only a previous exec prevents you from getting a new exec.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:29 pm

Little dilemma here: I have a targeted Gold AA offer for 50k miles after 5k spend in 12 months, with an "Apply by 1/15/2015" date. However, my 66th day from my latest citi app (AA Platinum) will land on 1/16/15, safe to assume I can apply without a hitch?

Last edited by winsteven13; Jan 6, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Little dilemma here: I have a targeted Gold AA offer for 50k miles after 5k spend in 12 months, with an "Apply by 1/15/2015" date. However, my 66th day from my latest citi app (AA Platinum) will land on 1/16/15, safe to assume I can apply without a hitch?
Did you get the targeted offer after you applied and received the other cards? Does the targeted offer have terms that say anything about having other cards? Some targeted offers have circumvented the typical waiting time if they were sent after the other cards were approved. The safer bet would probably be to call and see if they will extend it and I bet they will.

Last edited by justinh20; Jan 6, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by justinh20
Did you get the targeted offer after you applied and received the other cards? Does the targeted offer have terms that say anything about having other cards? Some targeted offers have circumvented the typical waiting time. The safer bet would probably be to call and see if they will extend it and I bet they will.
Gosh you know what? I'm not sure if I received this targeted offer before or after.. Citi has sent me 2 target gold offers in the last 4-5 months. No terms or restrictions from what I can see in the offer. Thanks, I'll give them a call next week to see what I can do.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:09 am

Instant approval. Linked to app page after log on to AA.com. Chose the AA Platinum Select Visa offer (50K miles & two Admirals Club one-day passes after $3000 spend in 3 months, $95 fee waived first year). Most recent personal card approval was on 3/15/2013. No AA cards currently open with Citi before this approval.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:02 am

Not sure if this has been brought up recently, but I just got a targeted 50k offer(email) that clearly states 18 months from the previous card.

* 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® cardmembers approved through this offer. Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:06 am

That's always been the rule for Gold and Platinum cards - you must wait at least 18 months before applying for the same card again. The 8/65 rule is for cards of different types.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by justinh20
That's always been the rule for Gold and Platinum cards - you must wait at least 18 months before applying for the same card again. The 8/65 rule is for cards of different types.
I thought they never specified, and it was a general rule to wait 12-26 months. This clearly stated the 18.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.