Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:08 am

Many thanks, I will go to store buy some gift card to meet spending limit, did Citi often do credit reviews like Chase/AE do if they saw these kind of behavior?

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
From what I've read, (and of course it also depends on lots of variables like income and depth of credit history), 650 is right at the minimum for a Plat card. 700 should be fine, at least for a Plat, but maybe on the low side for a higher level card like a Prestige.

I'd definitely apply, since all you risk is a HP. If she gets denied, from what I've read, if you add her as an AU to the cards you use the most for the next 6 months, that should increase her odds of an approval next time.

Remember to use the total combined Household income on the income line of the app. Assuming both of your incomes are available to pay off your combined charges, you add both of your incomes, and you each list that as "your" income when you apply. Federal Law makes that legit.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:48 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Quick question for the more knowledgeable folks.

I have Platinum World and Gold World cards from October and December respectively. I just closed my Plat and Gold World Elite cards that were opened in March and August respectively and reduced the current Plat and Gold cards to $4k each.

Neither of the current cards have been switched to World Elite, and while I'm in no hurry does anyone know if the low credit lines may impact Citi changing them to WE? I'm getting my last hurrah with AMEX SPG Biz before it all becomes Marriott so between that and Chase Freedom bonuses I have enough to spend on this month, but am hoping I get converted and can start a new batch of cards after New Years.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:20 am

So has anyone actually closed any of the AA WE cards post conversion and still been able to churn? Can't recall seeing datapoints on that and starting to amass quite a few of them
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
Many thanks, I will go to store buy some gift card to meet spending limit, did Citi often do credit reviews like Chase/AE do if they saw these kind of behavior?
Bearing in mind a very long credit history with Citi:

Back when the AA EXEC card was 100K miles with $10K in min spnd, we would both go to CVS the day after we got our new EXEC cards, buy $5K in VRs and later OVs, go to WM the next two days and deposit that to BB. Then pay off the Citi bill thru BB.

Then go back to CVS the very next day and buy another $5K each, and after the first of the month load that to BB. So we each met our $10K min spnd in less than a week. Waited 8 days, and applied for another EXEC card, and repeated the process. 65 days later did the same thing over again. We did this 7 or 8 times before they finally added the 18 months language to the apps.

Never heard a peep out of Citi, despite each of us "spending" $20K in a couple of weeks.

Word of warning: If you get a new Citi card, and want to do a significant GC purchase with it, regardless of how many other Citi cards you have/have had, don't just go to the store to try to buy $1k or more. Citi will do a Fraud Alert and deny the purchase. The simple way around this is to call the number on the back of the new card, and tell them you have a "large purchase" coming up. They will transfer your call to the FA department, who will put something in your file so that the purchase will be approved. This is only good for 24 or 48 hours, so call the day you are going to make the purchase. Just tell them "I have a purchase of $X coming right up". They will ask "what kind of purchase; electronics?". All you need to tell them is its an "in-store retail purchase in my home town". Don't mention GCs.

Then 99% of the time the charge will go right thru with no problems. Doesn't hurt to have your card set approving text messages to your cell phone, and to bring your cell to the store just in case, though. That way if you do get a denial, you can just answer the text with a "yes, it's me", and then the charge will go thru. Once you've done this once, you probably won't need to do it again. The computer gets that these large purchases for "expensive medication" or "large grocery purchases" are normal for you.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MadMadso
Hey Happy - I've checked the dates when I've reduced the limits and if it's available the next time I apply (meaning auto approval- no need to call in). I've had it available the day after I receive the email saying they've reduced it, and I've had it take weeks. I can only imagine that it is something like the 15th and 30th. (I reduced it one time on Friday the 14th and it was available on Sunday the 16th.). It's not the weekend because I've had others where I've lowered it (received the confirmation email) on a Wednesday and it wasn't automatically available on Sunday ( but when I called in, after several holds, they gave me my usual amount.) So not sure if they could 'see' that I lowered it?

On another note and as a data point, after # 4 converted to WE, I product changed #1. Then I applied for #5 and received the 50k confirmation letter.

Congrats. I Just don't understand how you "I product changed card #1 "
Are you saying you initiated the conversion?

FYI just got card #4 applied for via using the pre approved link , and got the approval letter .

Now to SM for 60k Match .

Not sure it has been mentioned before , but if you are way from mail, when you get the notice that your W has been converted to a WE , you can activate it using the original numbers before you have possession of the WE card , as nothing has changed including CVV.
Just in case that moves the conversion clock along , for your next card.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AOPA
just got approved for another one. during the call to the phone number listed, the rep said:

"congats, you have been approved with a limit of xx,xxx, if you have any question please call us. the phone number is listed on you OTHER CITI CARDS"

I can't believe they are still approving people with more than couple dozen citi cards in the past.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
i got an instant denial when applying for a Citi AA Business due to lack of credit history for my business. recon was pretty unhelpful and told me to call experian. do i have any other options? should i just keep trying recon?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Happy - I've checked the dates when I've reduced the limits and if it's available the next time I apply (meaning auto approval- no need to call in). I've had it available the day after I receive the email saying they've reduced it, and I've had it take weeks. I can only imagine that it is something like the 15th and 30th. (I reduced it one time on Friday the 14th and it was available on Sunday the 16th.). It's not the weekend because I've had others where I've lowered it (received the confirmation email) on a Wednesday and it wasn't automatically available on Sunday ( but when I called in, after several holds, they gave me my usual amount.) So not sure if they could 'see' that I lowered it?

On another note and as a data point, after # 4 converted to WE, I product changed #1. Then I applied for #5 and received the 50k confirmation letter.
Good details on observation. I have to admit I haven't kept track on the CL turnover. He has 4 other cards that we really need to keep - the 1+1 converted from an ancient Preferred, and an ancient Premier that was opened in its 3 incarnations before during a very brief, like 2 weeks, forever no annual fee promotion 8 or 9 years ago - both are "keep cards", plus a current Premier and a current HH that haven't gone thru their first year, let alone the 18 months. So it hinders the piling up of the AAs. That means we really need to cancel his 2 WEs sooner than later if he has another chance to add AA No.4.

Your data point on the product change No.1 is very good as the consensus is product change equals to cancellation, especially if it is product changed from an AA to, say, a 1+1, the card number changes as well I believe.

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Congrats. I Just don't understand how you "I product changed card #1 "
Are you saying you initiated the conversion?
MadMadso product changed the AA card to another Citicard offer OUTSIDE AA. For example the 1+1 has no sign up bonus but the card is no fee card and earns 2% cash back hence a good candidate to do product conversion.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Your data point on the product change No.1 is very good as the consensus is product change equals to cancellation, especially if it is product changed from an AA to, say, a 1+1, the card number changes as well I believe.
MadMadso, what was #1 at the time you product changed it, a W or a WE?

I'm not clear what your numbering refers to, so I'm not sure if you only started counting after the W->WE conversions (and thus all cards since your #1 were converted to WE) or not.

And how "good" the data point on the product is change of #1 is is dependent on which kind of MC it was. We already know that cancelling a WE doesn't seem to affect subsequent W applications. So I would not expect a WE product change to affect subsequent W applications either.

Also, what the timing between product change of #1 and the application for #5?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
MadMadso, what was #1 at the time you product changed it, a W or a WE?

I'm not clear what your numbering refers to, so I'm not sure if you only started counting after the W->WE conversions (and thus all cards since your #1 were converted to WE) or not.

And how "good" the data point on the product is change of #1 is is dependent on which kind of MC it was. We already know that cancelling a WE doesn't seem to affect subsequent W applications. So I would not expect a WE product change to affect subsequent W applications either.

Also, what the timing between product change of #1 and the application for #5?
I am pretty sure MadMadso's No.1 at product conversion is already a WE. Note that she is the champ on the succession of getting the 50K bonus, right now at No.5. Given we all know that unless W to WE happens, no way one can get another bonus. Therefore it is a given No.1 has already been a WE when she product converted to something else.

When the No.1 went thru product conversion has no bearing on No.5. I remember she posted that she applied a new W as soon as she is sure the preceding W has converted to WE, even before the physical card arrives. That is how she could reach No.5 within this year given we did not know this loophole working for sure until Mar or Apr this year.

Yes, we have a few posts over the course of the year about closing a WE does not affect getting bonus on a W, provided all the existing cards are now WE before applying the W again.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by nrdk
So has anyone actually closed any of the AA WE cards post conversion and still been able to churn? Can't recall seeing datapoints on that and starting to amass quite a few of them
I asked a similar question and received no response other than "read the thread"...

Data point: I cancelled my AA Gold WE card a few weeks earlier this month, then ~3 days later, applied again for the AA Gold W card and got approved (needed to call and hold for 10 minutes....no questions asked), got approved over the phone and was verbally told that I will get the 25K miles after $750 spending. When I got my card 1 week later, there was a letter with a statement to the same effect.

I plan on applying for a PLAT W card in the very near future... (The difference here is that I just met my spending limit and did not get my sign up bonus yet, so I can't cancel.)

Update: Approved for a new PLAT W card, but the operator did not tell me about any perks or sign-up bonus. I'll wait for the card to see if I get the letter...

Last edited by chunky649; Dec 17, 2015 at 7:30 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:09 am

My wife received the 60K offer in the mail. Can I apply using that code? Also, I am not able to find the 18 month language. Where does it usually appear?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by coolmuke
My wife received the 60K offer in the mail. Can I apply using that code? Also, I am not able to find the 18 month language. Where does it usually appear?
you can apply with your info then secure message with the offer ID saying you and her got this offer, and they will usually credit it to you. don't apply with that number unless you use her info or you can cause yourself some headaches.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by isriam
you can apply with your info then secure message with the offer ID saying you and her got this offer, and they will usually credit it to you. don't apply with that number unless you use her info or you can cause yourself some headaches.
Thankyou.
Both of us applied for this card this year and closed it as well.
so you are suggesting to apply through regular link(with 18 month language) and then SM to apply this offer?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by coolmuke
Thankyou.
Both of us applied for this card this year and closed it as well.
so you are suggesting to apply through regular link(with 18 month language) and then SM to apply this offer?
Just because you got an offer in the mail doesn't mean you will be approved and also doesn't mean you will necessarily get the bonus miles. The banks send those out all the time. Since you closed accts w/in the last 18 months my 'guess' is you will not get the bonus miles. If you can stand a hard pull go ahead and try though. YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.