Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
The cards won't show up in their online accounts until they are received, activated and linked to their accounts.

You haven't provided any data to make me think they won't get the bonus, but you do know that one can be approved and still not get the bonus (for violating the 18-month rule, etc), right?
Yes, I understand. If Citi has already opened the MC account for them, although it doesn't show up in their online account yet, then I suppose they will not get the bonus.

But the new Citi MC *has* shown up in my online account, even though I haven't received it yet, or activated it obviously.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Oh, gosh, I just realized the example was also slightly wrong in another way: It doesn't explain that you only get them a week apart if you haven't applied for any other Citi cards in the past 65 days minus 1 week!
True, if we don't follow the basic rule of 8/65 days then the whole example won't work. i think the wiki is better off without the example.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219
Yay!! Just got approved for my 3rd business card!! (first 2 were closed in 2014). Had to call in and was put on hold for a few minutes... a small price to pay!! Will try for DH in a couple of days!!! Happy Dance!!!
Congratulations, i am glad that the business card is still working for you. its good to add few more AA miles after the death executive card deal.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ninim2200
Congratulations, i am glad that the business card is still working for you. its good to add few more AA miles after the death executive card deal.
Thanks! As you know.... Im in the 18 month holding pattern for the Exec and Plat just like most everyone else! Darn Citi for figuring it out!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by birdboy
Yes, I understand. If Citi has already opened the MC account for them, although it doesn't show up in their online account yet, then I suppose they will not get the bonus.

But the new Citi MC *has* shown up in my online account, even though I haven't received it yet, or activated it obviously.
Wow, that's one I've never heard of. I've never had a Citi card show up in my online account before I added it myself.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Wow, that's one I've never heard of. I've never had a Citi card show up in my online account before I added it myself.
ditto Pass the salt please.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:29 am

Not sure if my situation is identical to yours, but I had an old Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature card. Yesterday was my anniversary date. I received a note in my account that a new card, which was referenced as being a mastercard, was being sent to me. I have not received it nor activated it. The picture of the card in my account is the same old visa. I called today and the CS said that changes were ongoing and the switch to MC would be completed in November. I asked and she said the card still showed as being a Visa Signature, so I had her refund the AF and closed the account.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean exactly by "the new" Citi MC? Was it one you applied for explicitly online, or one that Citi converted from a Visa (or Amex) automatically without you asking for it? Automatic conversions from Visa (or Amex) to MC do show up on online before you receive them (see bjones2571's post above; they may show up online before they're even created!). But applications "from scratch" don't show up online, for one reason because which online account should they show up on (given that Citi lets you have an endless number of online accounts, and in fact requires separate online accounts in some cases)?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:10 pm

Oh, yes, it was confusing. Look at what I put in red:
This means that you can get a Gold Mastercard (25K) and a Platinum Mastercard (50K) a week apart as long as you have not opened or closed an AA Personal MC in the past 18 months, even if you opened or closed an AA Personal Visa or AA Executive card in the last 18 months.
That's absolutely wrong as written, so I removed the above paragraph from FAQ 1 in the Wiki.

If someone wants to figure out how to fix the part I put in red (without making it too convoluted), then put it back into the wiki, fine. But as it was, it tried to be an example of what you can do and failed, because it used the oversimplified term "an AA Personal MC", and AA Gold, AA Plat, and AA Exec are all AA Personal MCs (yet opening or closing one of those types does not prevent you from getting another type!).

I think it's better to have no example at all, than to have a confusing / wrong example in the wiki.
Originally Posted by ninim2200
The above statement can be written this way if you like:

"This means that you can get a Gold Mastercard (25K) and a Platinum Mastercard (50K) a week apart as long as you have not opened or closed these same exact cards(Gold Mastercard and/or Platinum mastercard) in the past 18 months, even if you opened or closed an AA Personal Visa or AA Executive card in the last 18 months."

i agree; it's better to have no example at all, than to have a confusing / wrong example in the wiki. i don't personally think the statement needs an example, but i thought to give fixing the statement a shot.
Oh, gosh, I just realized the example was also slightly wrong in another way: It doesn't explain that you only get them a week apart if you haven't applied for any other Citi cards in the past 65 days minus 1 week!
I took a stab at revising the wiki to address these concerns. Here's the new language:
Personal AA cards: As of February 1, 2015, all new links require you to wait 18 months from the date of opening or closing an account of the same type (AmEx, Visa, MC) and category (Gold, Platinum, Executive). Thus,
  • opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Platinum MC eligible for a signup bonus
  • opening or closing a personal Gold MC will normally require you to wait another 18 months before applying for another personal Gold MC eligible for a signup bonus
  • opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will not affect your eligibility to apply for (& earn a bonus on) a new Gold MC, and vice versa
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:44 pm

i have the citi platinum select and received my bonus earlier this year, and then my card was upgraded to world elite status. i read that i could reapply for the same card since i have a world elite version now.

my question is, should i close my current account before i apply for the card again?

also, i'm considering applying for the business version again. i haven't had it in about a year now. but last time i applied (feb) i was denied. would that be better to apply for than the personal?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:42 pm

I don't think this was answered in the wiki but apologies if it was. I can close an old card between receiving/being approved for a new card and getting the bonus on that new card, right? That won't screw me up on the shouldn't have opened/closed a card in the last 18 months?

ETA: Though now that I think about it, I should just close the new card after meeting the spend and ask for a retention offer on the old card which will in all likelihood waive the AF. That way I can keep the old card, thus maximizing the age of my credit lines for credit history purposes, and still have an AA card that gets me 10% off awards up to 10k/yr...the only way this would screw me up would be if they didn't let me keep my old card fee-free next year as well and I was forced to close it...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by coreylol
i have the citi platinum select and received my bonus earlier this year, and then my card was upgraded to world elite status. i read that i could reapply for the same card since i have a world elite version now.

my question is, should i close my current account before i apply for the card again?

also, i'm considering applying for the business version again. i haven't had it in about a year now. but last time i applied (feb) i was denied. would that be better to apply for than the personal?
1) No, do not close current account before you apply for a new card
2) That is for you to decide. For most people in your situation personal MC would be easier to get approved for though.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
I don't think this was answered in the wiki but apologies if it was. I can close an old card between receiving/being approved for a new card and getting the bonus on that new card, right? That won't screw me up on the shouldn't have opened/closed a card in the last 18 months?
Correct.
Originally Posted by abcx
ETA: Though now that I think about it, I should just close the new card after meeting the spend and ask for a retention offer on the old card which will in all likelihood waive the AF. That way I can keep the old card, thus maximizing the age of my credit lines for credit history purposes, and still have an AA card that gets me 10% off awards up to 10k/yr...the only way this would screw me up would be if they didn't let me keep my old card fee-free next year as well and I was forced to close it...
It depends on your credit history. If you have a decade or more of credit history, and some cards you've had for a decade or more, the age of the credit line on one AA card won't matter much.

Meanwhile, assuming you don't do the spend in the first week or two (many who "naturally" do the spend need a couple months), then by your "close new, keep old" strategy your'e adding a couple months to your 18 months, compared to closing the old card as soon as you have confirmed that the new card is on its way and qualifies for the signup bonus.

And, finally, you're forgetting the whole current World->World Elite :"loophole". If you haven't gotten a World Elite version of your old card by now, you probably won't, but you could still get a World Elite version of your new card after you finish the bonus, but not if you cancelled it, only if you cancelled the old card. And currently getting a World Elite version of your latest card makes it possible for you to bypass the 18-month wait and apply successfully for another 50k signup of exactly the same card you have. But that won't work if you cancel the new card (instead of the old card) before it ever turns into a World Elite.

So for all these reasons, I don't think your "ETA" approach is nearly as good as the approach you were first about (before the "ETA"), unless perhaps you have such a short and/or thin credit history that you need to more concerned with that than whether you get the most miles out of Citi AA churning or not.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:54 pm

It depends on your credit history. If you have decades of credit history, and some cards you've had for a decade or more, the age of the credit line on one AA card won't matter much.

Meanwhile, assuming you don't do the spend in the first week or two (many who "naturally" do the spend need a couple months), then by your "close new, keep old" strategy your'e adding a couple months to your 18 months, compared to closing the old card as soon as you have confirmed that the new card is on its way a~nd qualifies for the signup bonus.

And, finally, you're forgetting the whole current World->World Elite :"loophole". If you haven't gotten a World Elite version of your old card by now, you probably won't, but you could still get a World Elite version of your new card after you finish the bonus, but not if you cancelled it, only if you cancelled the old card. And currently getting a World Elite version of your latest card makes it possible for you to bypass the 18-month wait and apply successfully for another 50k signup of exactly the same card you have. But that won't work if you cancel the new card (instead of the old card) before it ever turns into a World Elite.

So for all these reasons, I don't think your approach is nearly as good as the normal approach of cancelling the previous card as soon as you're approved for the new card (or else keeping both cards open for the next 18 months).
Thanks, I am organically meeting spend not through manufacturing and in my case the old AA card is 3-4 years old (I keep getting AF waivers every year) and as such one of my older cards (I don't max out churning), so keeping that card going adds more than just a few months to my credit age. And I did realize that I was adding a couple of months to the 18 month time limit by not canceling the old card right away, but I wasn't sure if I could close it right away before getting the bonus (I should have asked this question 2 months ago).

Also, my old card is a Citi AA Visa (Personal) so I guess it doesn't even qualify as the same card? So if I close it next year, I shouldn't be subject to the 18 months wait period?

EDIT: Just saw your post earlier in this thread about the risks of being auto-converted to a Plat MC. Guess I should have closed the Visa card sooner. Should I close it now or wait? Don't want them to convert it randomly at some point next year and make me wait another 18 months from the conversion...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:00 pm

I am also guessing that if I close an old Visa (my Dad's) and apply for a new MC at the same time, I am compliant with the 18 months rule as they are not the same product and so I should have no trouble getting the bonus on the new MC? The wiki suggests I will be okay with getting the bonus, but this post earlier in this thread contradicts that. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post24134937

I am guessing the post is wrong and the wiki is correct?

Last edited by abcx; Sep 23, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.