Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 am

Business Card Bonus

I applied today and was approved for my 3rd business card. The last one I cancelled about 3-4 months ago but don't know the exact date. The first one I cancelled about 1-2 years ago. For the approved card today are there any data points on whether the card has been approved for some but the bonus was not offered?? If approved can I presume the 50,000 bonus will follow?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I've updated the wiki. Noteworthy changes:
  • added new biz card links identified by SeeBuyFly
  • deleted offers 14 (no valid app page) & 15 (fully dead)
  • placed 50K personal & biz offers under separate headings
    • streamlined the resulting sections by placing restriction language (18-months; "first-time only") once in the intro instead of repeating it in each entry
    • labeled biz offers with a separate sequence (capital letters) to avoid overlap with personal card offers
  • expanded FAQ #16 to document known Citi shortcuts for new offers

Many thanks to SeeBuyFly for prospecting for new offer URLs & to IkeEsq for useful input on the wiki re-org.
^^^

THANK YOU very much beltway for maintain the wiki (of multiple threads).

I for one, is very much appreciative on all the work you have done in multiple forums.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
...For the approved card today are there any data points on whether the card has been approved for some but the bonus was not offered?? If approved can I presume the 50,000 bonus will follow?
I haven't seen any reports of people getting the business card but not the bonus; but nothing is guaranteed these days. For the business card there is no letter confirming the bonus, so call or send a secure message after receiving the card.

I assume you used one of the new links (A/B)?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 pm

Business Card

I used the link (A) in the business card section of the wiki for today's application. I received the platinum personal card again last week and that needed a phone call. Surprisingly the business card was approved immediately, no phone call.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 pm

Does anybody know for sure whether a product change starts over your 18 month clock?

I had a plat that I converted to a DC. It's been 18 months since I first opened the plat, but not since I did the conversion.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig if nobody knows for sure. I've gotten answers both ways.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:11 pm

Prequalified Offer

I tested out the prequalified offer site today and I am prequalified for a 30k AA Platinum card. Does anyone know if I could use the 50k link and still qualify? The 30k offer has no 18mo language for me.

Also, am I able to violate the 60 day rule with a prequalified offer, or does that only work on target offerings sent to me, or am I completely wrong on that detail?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canyoncar
Does anybody know for sure whether a product change starts over your 18 month clock?

I had a plat that I converted to a DC. It's been 18 months since I first opened the plat, but not since I did the conversion.

I'm willing to be the guinea pig if nobody knows for sure. I've gotten answers both ways.
Yes. It reset the clock. Has reported a few pages back - the violator did not get a bonus.

Originally Posted by ohyonghao
I tested out the prequalified offer site today and I am prequalified for a 30k AA Platinum card. Does anyone know if I could use the 50k link and still qualify? The 30k offer has no 18mo language for me.

Also, am I able to violate the 60 day rule with a prequalified offer, or does that only work on target offerings sent to me, or am I completely wrong on that detail?

NO. The 60 days is a restriction ACROSS ALL CITICARDS regardless types or offers.

Yes you are completely wrong on that.

While the Wiki does not distinguish targeted or not targeted (because there is no need to), Wiki is very clear on the 60 days rule which is applied to ALL and ANY Citicard no matter where you get the offer.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ohyonghao

I think you can. It showed up for me as 'other cards you may like.' Instead, I applied for the 50k and got it. The next day it said I was pre-qualified for 30k. A day or 2 later it was gone. Now it only lists cards that don't violate the 18 mo rule. So I think you are safe. But I did abide by the 8/65 rule. Of course, YMMV.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes. It reset the clock. Has reported a few pages back - the violator did not get a bonus.
Any idea how far back in the thread that is? There are several of us who have been looking for solid data points about that for a while now.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:29 am

card approved via chat window

I encountered a very nice new service that I hadn't seen described on FT (although perhaps I missed it).

I submitted an application last night for my SO. Got the familiar "we need more information...please call" message.

This morning my SO received an e-mail with link to the app status page, and forwarded it to me. I clicked on the link, and got to the usual status page, but then a chat window popped up automatically.

The agent wanted to "verify some information", the same way they do on the phone. All he wanted was a cell phone number (optional); then the card was approved. I asked about the bonus and min spend, and he confirmed the bonus.

All very convenient since I am not the actual applicant and couldn't have called in, but I can certainly act as my SO in a chat window.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 4, 2015 at 9:12 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:31 am

I apologize but I am confused and I did not plan very well.

I closed a Platinum card in March 2015(I had opened it before the Exec card) and an Executive card in April of 2014.

Can I apply for anything and get the bonus? I haven't had a Gold card but the way I read the sticky was that if I had applied for a Gold, then Platinum, and then Executive now, I'd be fine but I didn't do the apps in the correct order.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by spenny
I apologize but I am confused and I did not plan very well.

I closed a Platinum card in March 2015(I had opened it before the Exec card) and an Executive card in April of 2014.

Can I apply for anything and get the bonus? I haven't had a Gold card but the way I read the sticky was that if I had applied for a Gold, then Platinum, and then Executive now, I'd be fine but I didn't do the apps in the correct order.
Assuming no timing issues associated with other Citi apps (8/65 rule), you should be fine applying for the Gold card. As the wiki says, Gold & Plat cards are treated separately for purposes of the 18-month restriction.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MadMadso
I think you can. It showed up for me as 'other cards you may like.' Instead, I applied for the 50k and got it. The next day it said I was pre-qualified for 30k. A day or 2 later it was gone. Now it only lists cards that don't violate the 18 mo rule. So I think you are safe. But I did abide by the 8/65 rule. Of course, YMMV.
Thanks Happy and MadMadso. I must have accidentally mixed the 18mo exception with the 8/65 rule. I'll add it into my next Citi churn. I was just getting into the game when I closed my 3yo Platinum card and have been kicking myself since. This sounds like a great way to get back in early.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:31 pm

I have a Platinum Personal Account that has been open since 2011. However, earlier this year there was a fraudulent charge so the card was closed and a new card issued. When I sign in to Chase, the closed personal account still shows up (in addition to the active card) but states closed due to fraud.

Will this prevent me from obtaining a new Platinum personal card because of the 18 month rule?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobert24
Any idea how far back in the thread that is? There are several of us who have been looking for solid data points about that for a while now.
Only successes, and NOT in all cases, are people's WC converted to WC Elite by Citi, that they were able to bypass the 18 months rule. And those who are lucky enough got the "targeted" offers on Citi site that have no 18 months language (there are also mailed offers too).

The 18 months clause is most likely hard-coded in the system because just 4 days ago there is a person who did not observe the rule and then his clock was reset while he could have waited 5 more months but now he has to wait for 18 more months.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25196156-post1949.html

There are more reports in this AND other Citicards thread, namely TYPs and HHonors. AA is NOT the only Citicards people are interested in. I recall a person product changed his TYP card to Double Cash and later did not get the 50K TYP bonus because the PC was treated as a Closed of the TYP card.

But feel free to test it and report back what is your outcome. Those who are non-believers should be trailblazers and do it for the community instead of asking data points without doing the work.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.