Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:13 pm

My wife applied for a Platinum MC in March, got bonus, and card was converted a month later to World Elite. Based on reports here, she applied again for the same card in June. Got bonus again. Happy face

Fast forward to today. New card that was received in June was just replaced again by World Elite. Do we have a chance of triple dipping by applying one more time to get 3rd bonus within 5 months?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by AlexTheMan
My wife applied for a Platinum MC in March, got bonus, and card was converted a month later to World Elite. Based on reports here, she applied again for the same card in June. Got bonus again. Happy face

Fast forward to today. New card that was received in June was just replaced again by World Elite. Do we have a chance of triple dipping by applying one more time to get 3rd bonus within 5 months?
Upside: if successful, you get another 50K sixteen months ahead of schedule.

Downside: if unsuccessful, you waste a hard pull & lose ~2 months by resetting the 18-month clock.

I'd go for it if I were you.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by fyugioh
Data point on closing Visa before MC conversion, link 11 is good for another bonus.
Can you please elaborate on link 11?
I don't know what it references.
Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Just got the letter, and the bonus is there, in writing. Sorry to ruin your day, Happy, but I guess Citi thought I was a little more special than you thought.
You dont ruin my day at all. In fact if your posts from the initial one to this one are all trueful then you have not worded your initial post clearly because you sounded as if you are being denied the bonus and thinking about writing a letter to ask for special consideration.

Now you said you receive the letter with the bonus language -does that mean when you posted the first post, you have not received the approval letter yet? Or this is the result of your plead with Citi?

Again, it is not at all clear to me, nor to the readers.

It is important on the nature of the letter you alluded to -

Because :

1) If it is the initial letter of approval of the card, then we now have an interesting data point assuming you are telling us the truth - that your previous Plat card was closed less than 18 months ago, YET, you are getting the approval letter with bonus language....

Or,

2) you indeed wrote Citi a letter and the bank did bend the rule for you.

Two very different things and I am sure the community is far more interested in the 1) which means something MIGHT have changed, and doesn't really care for the 2) which the data point is less valuable info than 1).

Now would you tell the community whether it is 1) or 2)?

EDIT to add info 2 months later because neither 1) or 2) applied - there is no worthy data from the poster :

When doing some research on data point I came across this old post, thought I should add pertinent information as a conclusion from the non-reply of the OP, AND his subsequent post - CLEARLY INDICATE that No.2) NEVER applies, and 1) is not clear but my guess is, when he initially posted his question, he probably has not applied the card yet but wondered what if. Later he applied and got the approval letter with bonus wording, versus his initial post was worded like he already applied and got a letter without bonus wording, then he wrote to Citi and got the decision reversed... He never wrote to Citi as there was no denial of bonus. But he chose not to clarify the situation because he did not want to add value to the community.

So the data points or NON-data points in the initial post, were worthless, no help to the community.

Link to his later post that has inadvertently clarified what he actually did. (not to mention he gave up additional 20K but only applied the 30K. And again, ignored a question a reader asked, WNY he opted for 30K but not the 50K.... Is there a particular reason to do so? Not willing to admit he made a dump mistake would be my guess.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post25596936

Last edited by Happy; Nov 2, 2015 at 10:44 am Reason: Add information
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by felicity5
Can you please elaborate on link 11?
I don't know what it references.
Thanks
Application links in the wiki.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Upside: if successful, you get another 50K sixteen months ahead of schedule.

Downside: if unsuccessful, you waste a hard pull & lose ~2 months by resetting the 18-month clock.

I'd go for it if I were you.
I second that. Upside is much bigger.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:50 pm

[QUOTE=AlexTheMan;25233113]My wife applied for a Platinum MC in March, got bonus, and card was converted a month later to World Elite. Based on reports here, she applied again for the same card in June. Got bonus again. Happy face

Fast forward to today. New card that was received in June was just replaced again by World Elite. Do we have a chance of triple dipping by applying one more time to get 3rd bonus within 5

I'd appreciate knowing what link your wife used in applying for the Platinum MC?
Also, what reports did you read that led her to apply for the same card three months later?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Application links in the wiki.
I read link 11 in the wiki as saying I met the minimum spend etc and miles posting to AA.
That obviously is not what poster was referring to.
What am I overlooking?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by felicity5
What am I overlooking?
It sounds as if you read FAQ 11. I believe Happy is referring to an Application Link designated 11, but this was removed from the Wiki when it was last edited on August 3rd. This is before fyugioh's reference to it in post 2016 on August 5th.

The link can be recovered from the Wiki history, but I assume there is a reason that it was removed.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:26 am

Need advice for calling Recon

Despite having had a huge number of Citi cards, I've never had to call recon. I always reduce the CL on cards I'm not using or will close, so I'm usually nowhere close to the limit Citi will give me. Today I applied for a Platinum AAdvantage card after waiting 65 days from my last Citi app, and I got the message "further processing is required." I called recon, and the guy put me on hold for a few minutes and said "it's still being processed on the back end" and suggested I call back in 24 hours.

Any thoughts? I was under the impression that if the computer didn't reject you, the CSR could approve, but it sounds like the CSR is still waiting for the computer to make a decision. Should I HUCA now or wait a day?

I already have an AAdvantage Platinum card open, but it was opened more than 18 months ago, and I haven't opened or closed any Plat cards during that time frame.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if you read FAQ 11. I believe Happy is referring to an Application Link designated 11, but this was removed from the Wiki when it was last edited on August 3rd. This is before fyugioh's reference to it in post 2016 on August 5th.

The link can be recovered from the Wiki history, but I assume there is a reason that it was removed.
Yes: the landing page, which still exists, points to a dead app link. Because such landing pages never come back to life with valid app links -- at least, I've never seen this happen -- I took it out of the wiki. (I gave a status update on wiki edits in post 1994, but forgot to mention the deletion of link 11, probably because link 14, also deleted, had identical symptoms.)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:34 am

Is the 18 month per Citi AA card, or are all three (Plat, Gold, Exec) all three under the same 18 month umbrella? Hypothetically, could you get the platinum 8 days after you get approved for the exec?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Is the 18 month per Citi AA card, or are all three (Plat, Gold, Exec) all three under the same 18 month umbrella? Hypothetically, could you get the platinum 8 days after you get approved for the exec?
Please read the FAQ. It is the very first item in the FAQ, which is in the wiki.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ninim2200
congratulations. This is a typical message when the computer cannot automatically approve you, i got the same message yesterday when i applied for platinum card and after i called in, 3 holds, 15 minutes, i was approved. i personally hate calling in, but as long as i get approved that all what matters, my last 8 cards were all automatic approval, i am not sure what happened with this last application but i might have been pushing my luck by applying with other banks in addition to citi.
Hi my friend!

I just applied for my plat too. Also had to call in and was put on hold several times. But was approved. Can't wait to get the card so I can spend, cancel, reset the clock!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by slhansen219
Hi my friend!

I just applied for my plat too. Also had to call in and was put on hold several times. But was approved. Can't wait to get the card so I can spend, cancel, reset the clock!
Hi. Congratulations. we just have to work now with what's available and apply for other products when we can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.