Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Out of curiosity, why link #11? It seems (for me, at least) that all links in Wiki for Platinum MC have the same bonus/restrictions. Isn't so?
Why not link #11? In other words, the person you're asking was replying to a question about which link they actually used. They had to use some link, so why not #11?

I like #11 better too, simply because I see the "away3" code in it so I know it was from a non-internet ad (print, TV, etc) and somehow that seems more secure for me (if I have a bunch of links to choose between) than a link whose origin I know nothing about.

In fact, I can't remember by link # which link I used a couple months ago, but I can definitely remember that use the "away3" promo link. So only because I chose a link which has an easy to remember promo code can I tell that I used (the equivalent of) link #11 also. (I actually used away3.citicards.com from memory, rather than from a link.)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by connorc
I was denied two days ago for a Platinum Select card. The rep I spoke with couldn't tell me why I was denied but said it would give the reasons in a letter that was sent. I assume that it was because have a relatively low income which I earn when I'm not in school. Since I'm 20, I can't claim any other income (like my family's) that could be used to pay bills.

From my understanding, the only way I can earn miles (as well as the 30k bonus) for ME to use, is if I'm the primary cardmember. I'm assuming miles can't be deposited in the Advantage account of an authorized user instead. Right?

What might be my course of action to try to get approved?
Actually, if you applied for a 30k bonus, you might as well accept the denial, since if you get approved, you'll get 30k, but if you get denied now and you're able to apply successfully later, you can apply for 50k.

Or, as mentioned above, you can apply for the Gold card for 25k (which is not that different from 30k) and that might be easier.

Just make sure you wait at least 8 days since you applied for that card before you try applying for any other Citi card. Otherwise you're sure to be denied (for violating the 8/65 rule). But you should also wait for the letter and see what it says.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Out of curiosity, why link #11? It seems (for me, at least) that all links in Wiki for Platinum MC have the same bonus/restrictions. Isn't so?
No special reason, they should all be the same.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:55 pm

Had a Citi app to waste so went for another 50k with the plat. I first applied for my first plat on 1/10/15, and I am pretty sure I was changed from elite to world elite quickly, cause I thought it was weird how fast my card changed(so guessing Feb, maybe early March).

Anyway, just applied using 4c and called in to move some credit around, and was approved. Asked about the bonus and she confirmed the 50k/$3k/3months. Let's hope the letter has it too. Will hit the min spend within the first few days and hopefully will have something good to report back with.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:33 pm

Applied for the business card yesterday and got a pending. Should I call in or wait it out like with Chase business cards? This is my first business card with Citi.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by chasewalker
Applied for the business card yesterday and got a pending. Should I call in or wait it out like with Chase business cards? This is my first business card with Citi.
I got a pending status as well (about a month ago) and called in. It was a very painless procedure and the CSR didn't ask for any more information, leaving open the question as to why it was "pending" in the first place. IME Chase is much more attentive to detail when they get a biz card app.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:37 pm

I always get instant approval, my SO always gets pending. Very strange, her credit is better than mine. She waits it out, and is always approved. But this is just anecdotal evidence---YMMV.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Two of my calls in for Chase business cards were very easy approvals. The other two however were horrible grillings that ended in denials. You won't get me to call in again.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by drdrew450
any idea how to check when I closed my last citi aadvantage card? american only gives 6 months of history.
YMMV, but you can go to the citi website and check for prequalified (travel) offers. Even if you are not prequalified for any, in my experience, they only list cards "that you may be interested in" that you can get bonuses from. So whatever AA cards show up, should be good. (But don't click through there, as it lists the lowest offers ie 30k for platinum, etc). Of course, this works for me, but Citi is fickle, so ymmv.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:46 pm

Cancelled my wife's Citi Biz AA account and master account today. The Citi Biz Rep hinted that she knew we were in it just for the sign up bonus, but wanted to keep our business and made some offers, none of which included an annual fee waiver. 2,500 bonus miles when spending $2,500 each month for the next 16 cycles.

The Citi Biz Rep seemed more in line with the investigative acumen one would expect from a Chase or Barclays CSR (when calling in for a reconsideration), even since I cancelled my Citi Biz AA 10 months ago in September of 2014.

My hope is that both of us can churn the 50K offer that ends in 6 days, July 31st, so I'm holding my breath that one of you who has held the card before will have a data point before then. Just as well, has anyone had a successful short term churn-around of canceling ~ 6 days before reapplying?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:00 pm

Hmm... I'm prequalified for a 50k AA Platinum. Don't currently have one (just have a Gold) and was thinking about going for the Exec 75k soon. My last Citi app was about 60 days ago, so theoretically, I could apply using one of the 50k links in the wiki today, then apply using my prequalified offer (which doesn't have the 18 months language as far as I can tell) in 8 days, right? That would get me 100k with $1500 less to spend and $450 less in annual fees vs. the Exec...

Tempting, but I'm afraid the offer might disappear if I check again after I've gotten the first AA Plat. Maybe I should save the link somewhere just in case... Thoughts?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones
Cancelled my wife's Citi Biz AA account and master account today. The Citi Biz Rep hinted...
The cogniscenti don't cancel by calling, they cancel by sending a secure message. see FAQ #12.
Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones
My hope is that both of us can churn the 50K offer that ends in 6 days, July 31st...
Haha, no it doesn't. Citi offers live on for months after the stated expiration date. Even when the landing page stops working, the application page continues to work for a while (this is why the application link is saved separately in the wiki).

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 25, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:16 pm

Where is the link without the 18 month language located? I was recently upgraded to world elite and would love to get an additional 50k
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acslaterbro
Where is the link without the 18 month language located? I was recently upgraded to world elite and would love to get an additional 50k
There is no link without the 18 month language. For people who were upgraded to World Elite early enough (by Feb/Mar), the 18 month language didn't seem to apply (but the language was still there).

In other words, it was a loophole, not different language. The language was ignored by Citi in a very particular situation. My impression is that Citi has since found and closed that loophole.

We only have success datapoints from people who were upgraded to World Elite early this year. We have no success datapoints from people who were upgraded to World Elite "recently".

I myself was upgraded to World Elite just last week, for a card I applied for in May. I don't expect applying again now for 50k to work for me, just as I don't expect it to work for you, unless we get some datapoints from some "brave souls" that it worked for them.

The reason such "guinea pigs" have to be "brave" (or "unaware"): If you apply for another Citi AA Plat MC right now, you're likely to get approved, whether you get the 50k bonus or not. That means you have your 18 month clock reset, whether you get the 50k bonus or not. If you're unlikely to get the bonus, you're losing several months (from your previous 18 month clock) just to do this "experiment".

And that's why I don't find it likely that we'll get many datapoints, unless after reading all this you still feel like being a "guinea pig".

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 26, 2015 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Originally Posted by acslaterbro
There is no link without the 18 month language. For people who were upgraded to World Elite early enough (by Feb/Mar), the 18 month language didn't seem to apply (but the language was still there).
I think the poster was asking about the prequalified offer mentioned in post #1916. The answer is that there is no link that you can use, unless you get the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.