Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I just did this. AF hit on Dec statement on the 6th, purchased a $400 ticket today, will wait and see what happens on Jan. 6th. Will cancel card as well, expecting full refund of AF.

Seems like it should work. This will be my 3rd credit for one AF. Just got the timing right accidentally, i guess.
My credit posted today. Will be cancelling it now. I have a $150 balance on the card, so i suppose they will send me a check for $300? or can they just apply it to my Premier card? Or send me a check for $450 and i pay the remaining balance off?

Anyone know?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
As it happens my Prestige statement was generated yesterday with a small credit balance. The credit balance did not increase my revolving credit limit. There is this note:

Your account has a credit balance that is owed to you. You may make charges against it if your account is open. We will send you a refund of any remaining balance of $1.00 or more after the balance has been on your account for 90 days or upon request made to the customer service address or phone number above.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by plc44
Used for $250 gift registry, statement closed yesterday and the credit appeared.
Gift registry? Can you elaborate please?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Superorb
Gift registry?
Probably: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:30 pm

A few notes - ALLEGIANT has apparently had their merchant code reclassified and the credit did automatically apply (it is now Air Travel - AIRLINE,AIR CARRIER). I also had an agent tell me he would manually request that the ThankYou Portal purchase of airfare be counted towards my credit and that I should see it process within a few days. Unless I notice anything to the contrary, assume for your success/failure purposes that this worked.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Why not just buy airfare directly? I know I'm missing something.

"You can use the money in your TravelBank to purchase airfare on United."
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
My credit posted today. Will be cancelling it now. I have a $150 balance on the card, so i suppose they will send me a check for $300? or can they just apply it to my Premier card? Or send me a check for $450 and i pay the remaining balance off?

Anyone know?
i'd also assume you'd either get statement credit or could request a check.

success in canceling and getting the AF back?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:41 pm

Yes. Cancelled earlier today. No issues. I was 32 days since AF posting.

The rep said that when my final statement posts ( next month ), i will be refunded back the full account fee as a statement credit. I can then call Citi to have them send a check.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Why not just buy airfare directly? I know I'm missing something.

"You can use the money in your TravelBank to purchase airfare on United."
Makes sense if you don't have a trip currently scheduled and thus no flight to book immediately, and your AF is coming up and you want to cancel the card.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by madbrain
Makes sense if you don't have a trip currently scheduled and thus no flight to book immediately, and your AF is coming up and you want to cancel the card.
Good point. How long do you have before the money in your "bank" expires?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:15 am

Anyone know?
Can you elaborate a little on the sequence of events....

Your AF posted on the statement that was generated on Dec 6th. This means your AF payment was due ~1/2/17 (correct?). On Dec 29th, you bought a $400 airline ticket.

Now I'm getting to the part I was looking for clarification on....So on 1/2/17 you paid off the AF of $450? And that left a Current Balance of $400 for the airline ticket? Then you received a $250 statement credit on your statement that closed ~1/6/17? This would leave you with a $150 Current Balance, correct? If you cancel the card now, in theory, you would have to pay Citi the $150 Current Balance, and they will send you a $450 check for a net of $300 in your pocket.

My guess is that you will not receive the entire AF, but instead a "pro-rated" AF for somewhere between 1-3 months of owning the card in the new cardmember year (depending on how Citi calculates things, that means you would "owe" Citi somewhere between $37.50-$112.50). Therefore you would get a check for $450 - ($37.5 or $112.5) = $412.50 or $337.50. These are just my guesses on how this will play out.

My AF is not due until 1/22, so unfortunately I can't provide any data points as of yet for how this will all play out. But would love to hear your thoughts/clarifications.

Thanks for being a guinea pig and sharing maxp0wer! That's what makes FT awesome!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:19 am

Yes. Cancelled earlier today. No issues. I was 32 days since AF posting.

The rep said that when my final statement posts ( next month ), i will be refunded back the full account fee as a statement credit. I can then call Citi to have them send a check.
Should have kept reading...

This is awesome. Though I'm a little confused on how it has been only 32 days since your AF posted (Dec 6th through Jan 10th which is greater than 32 days). Congrats though, you milked the sh*t out of this card ^
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Should have kept reading...

This is awesome. Though I'm a little confused on how it has been only 32 days since your AF posted (Dec 6th through Jan 10th which is greater than 32 days). Congrats though, you milked the sh*t out of this card ^
i was off on my posting dates by a couple days, sorry for any confusion. But, yes, it was 32 days. The rep even mentioned that i was over the 30 days and that she would need to prorate it - but this was while she was giving retention offers. I just wanted to cancel, so told her that. She then came back and said "actually your entire AF will be refunded in full" ( each piece of writing from Citi that i've seen says 30 days for full refund, but in reality just about everyone here has experienced 37 days )

I'm just going to pay off the $150 balance now so there's no interest charges, and take the full $450 refund next month.

Yeah...everything worked out really well for me! Wasn't intentional, just got lucky on my timing. I even had Citi post a 1,000 point goodwill offer right before cancelling as well.

I really liked the card. Would have kept it if the benefits all remained the same ( and AA didn't switch to a pure revenue mileage program ).

Sounds like you're roughly in the same place i was, so i would expect it to play out similarly. I was a bit nervous having to wait for the credit to post and cancel all at the right time, but it worked out. $750 airline credits for one $450 AF.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:15 am

On 1/6 I bought a $50 Southwest gift card and on my PDF statement that closed today from Citi, it registered as a flight from DAL to DAL on Class Y and I got credited.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Credit received for ticket purchased from Bangkok Airways. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.