Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
That meals will be reimbursed is documented in the Prestige Guide to Protection benefits. The claim option becomes available after a three hour trip delay. A missed connection resulting from a less then three hour trip delay is not covered.

I appreciate that Citi uses the three hour threshold. This is more generous than others.

Missed connections happen often, and the next available flight is usually more than three hours away in my experience. The three hour threshold would not be financially sustainable if Citi included also missed connections. Plus there would be no phone chargers left at the airport as the travel hacker squids would have bought them all.

Chase offers 'overnight' stays with their benefit. It would be interesting to pay part of a ticket with Prestige and part with CSR. But I'll take my chances with the Citi Prestige three hour option vs the Chase 6/12 hour option plus 'overnight' everytime.
You’re just saying the same thing over and over again. It makes no sense that someone would need insurance coverage for having lunch in City A instead of City B, but not need insurance when a late inbound flight makes the person miss that same airline’s last onward flight of the day, necessitating a last-minute hotel stay.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

^

Garlic Flyer arrived at connection point late but because he had a large connection time, he arrived at destination on time. As an example, he allocated 8AM to 7PM for travel when booking was made and he got to destination at 7PM despite the first flight arriving at connection point 3 hours late. Citi covered the “delay.”

Whereas another passenger intended to travel 8AM to 7PM but arrived at 6AM next morning. Citi denied it. Absolutely no sense at all. As you indicated, EC261/2004 would cover the second passenger but not the first as passenger (GarlicFlyer) was NOT delayed.

Although most of my bookings are nonstop, i’ll donate to a legal fund if someone wants to take Citi to small claims for this.
Your 'another passenger' did not have his/her 'trip delayed on a common carrier for at least three hours'. They missed their connection, due to a less than 3 hour delay.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
You’re just saying the same thing over and over again. It makes no sense that someone would need insurance coverage for having lunch in City A instead of City B, but not need insurance when a late inbound flight makes the person miss that same airline’s last onward flight of the day, necessitating a last-minute hotel stay.
it made perfect sense to me, as I sat in the airport restauant reading the Guide, and eating my sandwich.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Your 'another passenger' did not have his/her 'trip delayed on a common carrier for at least three hours'. They missed their connection, due to a less than 3 hour delay.
The *trip* absolutely was delayed. I seriously can’t tell if you’re trolling here or what.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please make your point only once. Repetition does not make an idea easier to understand or more compelling.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not at all. Instead of focusing on the word "trip" you may instead want to focus on the word "delay".
Why? A trip is defined as pre-paid travel, and I pre-purchased travel on a common carrier that obliges them to get me from my origin to my final destination. If they don't do so in a timely fashion, my trip is delayed.

(Also, as an aside, the definition of a common carrier as a "vehicle" instead of an individual or business flies in the face of well-established legal precedent; it's the airline's obligation, not the airplane's.)
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:57 am

It seems most of the people missing a point here. When the benefits where introduced, it used to cover misconnections, look at the threads around September 2017 and different blogs. For no reason, without any change in terms insurance company decided no longer to honor it and terms and conditions stayed the same.

Do you think we would have any confusion here, if from the beginning we knew misconnection is not covered?

As far as letter from Citi that I posted, responder contacted insurer and wrote up a explanation that insurer gave to them without checking terms on benefits. To clarity Citi should officially put a misconnection as an exclusion in “WHAT’S NOT COVERED”.
usercomments likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:18 am

Somebody brought up legal options, sorry with bad news, but options are limited. Here they are:
1. Small claims court- It’s not allowed, as per credit card agreement, only arbitration, that will be paid by Citi, hence you can sense who will win. If you still sue in small claims, Judge will dismiss a case once Citi Lawyers shows an agreement that only arbitration is allowed. Seen that happen with other people who sued companies without reading the agreement. Google “Arbitration against banks”, and see laws that were passed last November to strengthen this.
2. Class action lawsuit, not allowed, see number 1
3. Suing Virginia surety- it may go forward, but don’t forget, that at the end your contract is with Citi, hence see number 1.
So, for those who are having issues, and don’t want to just give in, filing a BBB complaint against Virginia Surety (The Warranty Group) is easiest bet. If you are going to threaten them with the lawsuit for around $500, they know it’s going to cost more money to fight.

Last edited by compspy; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by compspy
It seems most of the people missing a point here. When the benefits where introduced, it used to cover misconnections, look at the threads around September 2017 and different blogs. For no reason, without any change in terms insurance company decided no longer to honor it and terms and conditions stayed the same.

Do you think we would have any confusion here, if from the beginning we knew misconnection is not covered?

As far as letter from Citi that I posted, responder contacted insurer and wrote up a explanation that insurer gave to them without checking terms on benefits. To clarity Citi should officially put a misconnection as an exclusion in “WHAT’S NOT COVERED”.
I am not sure your statement is true. A three hour delay could cause a missed connection which then may be covered. A delay of less than three hours which causes a misconnection appears not to be covered, even if the resulting delay is long. I find this approach reasonable per the terms. It also seems to fit the past examples I read, though I didn't read all.

Mine is just one interpretation. I encourage everyone to do their own analysis.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Feb 12, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A number of posts have been removed due to unhelpful content.

Here are the rules:

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Address ideas, not personalities. Respect those who have a different viewpoint or style. Make your point once, and let it go.

Constructive feedback is helpful to moderators, but do not reply to the thread. Use the Alert icon in the lower left corner of this post.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole line of argument makes no sense. Insurance is a contract. Nothing less and nothing more. You get what you agreed to in the policy document. Read it carefully and make sure that it covers what you think you need for coverage. If you need more, purchase a policy which covers what you need.

Same with primary vs. secondary coverage. There is a reason that the included coverage on most cards is less comprehensive. If you are asked to certify that you neither accepted nor were offered, for instance, a hotel, and you commit bank, insurance, wire, and mail fraud for $100, you don't need FT to talk this through.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by compspy
Somebody brought up legal options, sorry with bad news, but options are limited. Here they are:
1. Small claims court- It’s not allowed, as per credit card agreement, only arbitration, that will be paid by Citi, hence you can sense who will win. If you still sue in small claims, Judge will dismiss a case once Citi Lawyers shows an agreement that only arbitration is allowed. Seen that happen with other people who sued companies without reading the agreement. Google “Arbitration against banks”, and see laws that were passed last November to strengthen this.
2. Class action lawsuit, not allowed, see number 1
3. Suing Virginia surety- it may go forward, but don’t forget, that at the end your contract is with Citi, hence see number 1.
So, for those who are having issues, and don’t want to just give in, filing a BBB complaint against Virginia Surety (The Warranty Group) is easiest bet. If you are going to threaten them with the lawsuit for around $500, they know it’s going to cost more money to fight.
Seems like it would make more sense to contact your state insurance regulator versus trying to sue them. I'd be more afraid of my state regulator than a suit if I were them.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Am I covered?

Used Citi prestige to pay for msy-IAD-MSY. Change of plans, so i chose the change flight option on the United website and changed the roundtrip to a one way iad-msy a week earlier. Fare was fully cpvered, less than the roundtrip was. Paid the change fee with a different card.. it looks like I have a new ticket number. Used miles for the outbiund.

Now the forecast for tomorrow looks dicey, and mine is the last flight of toutbound. If it gets canceled due to weather and I'm stuck overnight, would prestige trip delay coverage apply?

Last edited by swag; Mar 1, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
FYI I was covered for a 4 day misconnection due to hurricane Harvey by chase. But it seems citi wouldn’t have covered me because my first flight was on time, BHX-EWR. Note to self: don’t use citi for connecting flights anymore
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:43 pm

Supposing that the interpretation of misconnections is correct, that implies that if you want for misconnections to effectively be covered, you'd need to schedule connections to be around three hours long. If your misconnect because the flight was too late, then you effectively get the benefit you want. Seems pretty inconvenient, but straightforward. (Though it might be easier to have something like the no-fee Sapphire card to cover it in this case, since you only need a partial amount on the card for coverage.)

Last edited by billatq; Mar 3, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.