Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Citi's coverage is secondary. Lupine Travel has offered a full refund. Citi's insurer could take the position that you have been made whole, and accepting the discount and new dates constitutes booking a new trip that has not been delayed.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
....Additional costs to get the Covered Traveler home if the Trip is interrupted, as long as new arrangements are within the same class of service as the original booking, such as economy or business class.

Additional fares or tickets needed to rejoin the Trip that has been interrupted, as long as new arrangements are within the same class of service as the original booking, such as economy or business class.
With regard to these two provisions the issue would seem to be whether they would pay for -both- rather than only one or the other.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:21 am

First, this is a Trip Delay protection thread, not a Trip Cancellation/Interruption thread. But since we're already discussing...

I think there's a decent likelihood that CIti would pay for you to cut your trip short and go home when the cruise was supposed to start. I think it's a little less likely that they'd pay for you to go home earlier than that (which would mean them refunding more unused travel), although not impossible if you can make the case that those portions of the trip were all just leading up to the cruise. My one big concern is that the terms say that a postponed cruise is a "covered reason" if it's postponed "before the Trip Departure Date," so I could see them playing games where they either (1) argue that the cruise is its own discrete "Trip" and all you're entitled to is a refund of the cruise, or (2) if they do agree that the "Trip" is your whole 3 months journey away from LAS, that the postponement didn't happen "before the Trip Departure Date" and therefore it's technically not a covered reason. Those would both be crappy interpretations, but in my experience Virginia Surety is most definitely not above crappy interpretations of their vague rules.

I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd pay for you to fly back to Tahiti later, though. I read the "rejoin the Trip" as referring to a situation where you are stranded and trying to rejoin a Trip in progress (e.g., your flight is delayed so you get to the cruise departure point after the boat has already left, or you get hurt during a shore excursion and are in the hospital when the boat leaves port).

In my mind, Trip Cancellation/Interruption is intended to (1) reimburse nonrefundable expenses that you didn't get to use, and (2) help you if you're stranded by covering unexpected expenses and either getting you home or enabling you to resume your trip. It's not a guarantee that if you book a Trip with your card, they'll pay for a second Trip to enable you to do all the things you originally planned to do on the first Trip.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
I haven’t had occasion to use Trip Delay in about a year, and will be booking a large trip shortly. Disappointed to read about all these shenanigans. Is Chase still being reasonable about claims, including missed connections resulting in an overnight stay? Trying to decide what card to use for taxes/fees on the award plane tickets.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mh4ll
.... Chase still being reasonable about claims, ....
Discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-comments.html
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The denials don't strike me as being wrong, once one accepts that insurance is a contract, not a customer service gesture. These claims are binary and are either payable or not. The terms and the premium are based on each other and if they intend to cover something, they are clear in the definition.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The denials don't strike me as being wrong, once one accepts that insurance is a contract, not a customer service gesture. These claims are binary and are either payable or not. The terms and the premium are based on each other and if they intend to cover something, they are clear in the definition.
I would agree with you IF the terms were clear.

But Virginia Surety started denying missed connection Trip Delay claims months before the updated 2018 T&C's that excluded missed connections went into effect (you'll find numerous reports of a phantom rule change in March 2018 in this thread and in the blogs, but the new rules weren't announced until June and didn't go into effect until the end of July). And without defining "delay" anywhere in the terms (old or new), they've started to take the position that a "delay" ends (and you're no longer eligible for reimbursement of expenses) when you depart the city in which you are delayed, even if you're rerouted with a layover in a third city before you reach your original destination. There is no hint of that anywhere in the T&Cs (in fact, the definition of "Trip Completion Date" suggests exactly the opposite).
akr1970akr, wylek and joe_miami like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The point of my post was to ask for input about what people thought I'm entitled to and/or what Citi would cover. .
Its not Citi, its an insurance company. And the agents get paid to find ways to not pay out.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:52 am

Any recent data points for processing time (or at least when a decision is made) for claims? I submitted a request on 1/24 and receive an automated "we've received your documents" email right away, but nothing since then. I had a claim a few years ago that was approved in less than a week, but I'm assuming the time is longer now? Maybe I should wait until we hit the one month mark before following up.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
heads up for AA Citi Advantage Executive Card Travel Delay benefit

My sea-dfw flight was delayed 4 hours today. I left the plane and re-booked for tomorrow morning. I called Citi to confirm the travel delay benefit is good for >3 hour delay (i've used it twice already two years ago) but the rep told me as of last July that changed to now be effective for only delays that are >6 hours.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by enviroian
My sea-dfw flight was delayed 4 hours today. I left the plane and re-booked for tomorrow morning. I called Citi to confirm the travel delay benefit is good for >3 hour delay (i've used it twice already two years ago) but the rep told me as of last July that changed to now be effective for only delays that are >6 hours.
Yes, this is quite old news now... Sorry to hear about your botched plans.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
What caused the delay?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
What caused the delay?
In op deicer
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay so I soent some time reading this thread. Looks like the Citi executive card (aka premier?) travel delay benefits have degraded to 6 hours from 3 hour delay. I use my card primarily for the AC membership but the travel benefits are very important to me. That being said what is the best card for travel benefits? I already have an Amex gold. Upgrade to plat?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:41 am

That being said what is the best card for travel benefits?
If you value trip delay coverage, Amex Plat doesn't offer it, so you're likely going to want to stick with Citi AA Exec or Chase Sapphire Reserve (both of which have 6 hour coverage). Overall I think the travel protections are a small notch better on CSR than CIti AA Exec, and the rewards are significantly better. But if you're keeping the Citi card for AA lounge access, then you have to weigh whether the rewards and protections are worth carrying another card and paying another annual fee.

There are several blogs that do pretty good comparisons of Citi Prestige (which is pretty much the same in terms of protections as AA Exec, but with different rewards and lounge access), CSR, and Amex Plat:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/battl...rewards-cards/
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Any recent data points for processing time (or at least when a decision is made) for claims? I submitted a request on 1/24 and receive an automated "we've received your documents" email right away, but nothing since then. I had a claim a few years ago that was approved in less than a week, but I'm assuming the time is longer now? Maybe I should wait until we hit the one month mark before following up.
Just to follow-up on this data point. Yesterday someone called and left a voicemail saying they were going to review my claim and contact me if there were any further questions. I never heard anything back yesterday, but this morning received an email that my claim was fully approved and I'd see a credit within 1-2 billing statements. So overall, I submitted 1/24, was reviewed 2/14, and approved 2/15. Not bad! I assume that mine was a pretty easy one (and low $), not sure if that makes any difference. It was just a couple meals and a taxi.
linglingfool likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.