Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Been a long time follower of the forum, just never created an account.
Just have a question that i am hoping I could get some answers. I purchased a trip package(Flight and Hotel) using my Chase Sapphire Card. However, I had to cancel the trip last minute due to the death of my Aunt. I purchased the trip on cheapcarribean.com for 1800. Due to cancellation last minute, I was charged 800 total ( per talking to the rep, the hotel charges one night and the airfare charge 150$ per ticket).

Just wondering if i could file a claim through chase sapphire trip cancellation insurance to recoup the 800?

thanks in advance
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry for your loss.

It is a covered loss as:

Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion
When Immediate Family Member means:

...your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
I know this will be insulting. But please try to obtain a copy of your aunt's death certificate. This will be the key of success (or failure) of the claim.
olddallas likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:07 am

OP

Sorry for the loss of your Aunt.

A question to the group: Is this topic, trip insurance, covered in any threads? I took a quick look and did not find anything. It would be really helpful to know what card(s) offer this protection and anybody with firsthand experience in recovering a claim.

Cards I currently have include but not limited to: Barclay Arrival, Citi AA, AMEX BCE & BCP, Chase SW, Chase Ink Business, Citi COSTCO Visa, Discover IT & Miles and likely several others that do not come to mind right now.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure if this is the proper thread. maybe i need admin help to move this thread?
thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Originally Posted by hmnguyen87
I am not sure if this is the proper thread. maybe i need admin help to move this thread?
thanks.
This thread is in the correct forum, and garykung's reply seems to answer your question. Is there something more that you need to know?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: DL PM
Angry My poor experience with Chase's Trip Cancellation Insurance

This thread is mostly for me to vent and give warning to people in similar situations in the future. Also seeking input on if this has happened to others before!

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I purchased a flight for $310 through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal (on Asiana Airlines), and paid with my Sapphire Preferred. Unfortunately, the day before I was supposed to take off, I had a medical emergency and the doctor recommended that I not travel. I had to cancel my flight, but knew I had trip cancellation insurance through the Sapphire Preferred card.

I call Chase Ultimate Rewards to cancel my flight. They said I was subject to a $90 cancellation fee. No big deal, I thought - I had the cancellation insurance. Chase refunded me the $310 and charged me a separate $90 cancellation fee on my card. I had no communication with Asiana Airlines, and everything on my credit card related to this showed up as CL * Chase Travel.

I file a claim with Chase's 3rd party trip insurance provider to recoup the $90. After a week or so, they deny my claim. They said they cannot give me any money, because I had technically been fully reimbursed for the $310 by Chase! Even though there was a separate cancellation fee, that was not enough to trigger any sort of reimbursement. The claims agent told me that if I had been only refunded $220, then I could have claimed the $90. Or better yet, if I hadn't called in to cancel at all, I could've filed for $310 and gotten it!

Last night, I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Chase, being transferred from Chase Sapphire Preferred CS to Chase Ultimate Rewards. Nobody could do anything...Chase Ultimate Rewards told me "Sorry, that's just the way we refund when you cancel a flight. We always charge the cancellation fee separately." But if that is true, that means that will never be covered under Chase Sapphire's trip insurance!!!

I was so frustrated after 2 hours, and I asked to cancel my card (yes I was that angry!). Chase Ultimate Rewards refunded me in a way that doesn't align with Chase Sapphire Preferred's trip insurance policy. Why do I pay $95 a year for benefits that don't align? After I asked to cancel my card, a CS agent offered me a $60 statement credit to resolve the case. I was exhausted since it was 1am at this time and accepted the statement credit.

This ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth, and I am now looking into American Express cards. I know I'm only out $30, but I am still annoyed about how this was handled. What a pity, since I have loved using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for 3 years until this point.

Thank you for listening! Would love to hear input.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Refer your issue to your state's insurance commissioner for a second look.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Refer your issue to your state's insurance commissioner for a second look.
agree too

a lot of insurance companies require you to make best effort to minimize the total loss. $90 < $310 seems reasonable

also, write and request the full insurance policy from plan provider

and cancellation policy from chase UR. maybe you were missing this piece

What types of documentation may be requested
when a claim is submitted?
Some of the documentation the Company may request includes,
but is not limited to:
• completed claim form
• copy of the travel itinerary
• confirmation of the reason for the Trip Cancellation or
Trip Interruption—i.e. medical documents, death certificate, or other
documentation supporting a Covered Loss
• copy of the Credit Card statement that shows the charge for
prepaid travel arrangements for Trip Cancellation
• proof of expenses incurred due to a Trip Interruption
• a copy of the cancellation or refund polices of the Common Carrier,
Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier

Claim Information
Answers to specific questions can be obtained by writing the Plan
Administrator. To make a claim please contact the Plan Administrator.
Plan Administrator
Card Benefit Services
P.O. Box 72034
Richmond, VA 23255

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 27, 2016 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
agree too

a lot of insurance companies require you to make best effort to minimize the total loss. $90 < $310 seems reasonable

also, write and request the full insurance policy from plan provider

and cancellation policy from chase UR. maybe you were missing this piece
Thank you both paperwastage and garykung. I will reach out to the insurance commissioner.

The trip insurance adjusted said I was not missing any pieces unfortunately. Here is the wording from the official denial letter:

Our investigation shows that you purchased a trip on 06/07/2016 using your Chase Visa credit card. On 06/30/2016 you had to cancel the trip due to an illness. It has been confirmed that you received a full refund for the cost of the trip. In addition you were charged a cancellation penalty of $90. Since you received a full refund from the common carrier the cancellation penalty would be in addition and not a prepaid fare.

We must regretfully deny your claim for payment. Based on the review of the policy, the documentation provided, and the facts of the loss we have determined that your loss is not covered as it does not meet the definition of Non-Refundable under the terms of the policy. The policy only covers the pre-paid forfeited costs and does not offer coverage for additional expenses. The following will help you understand the basis for our denial.
I can copy and paste more if necessary. Over the phone, the adjusted had told me that I shouldn't have even canceled and kept the $310 charge, and then I would've been able to successfully claim the $310.

Even more annoyingly, Chase Ultimate Rewards claimed this is always how they perform refunds for a canceled flight - fully refunding a canceled flight, and then separately charging a cancelation fee.

Unfortunately I don't have those 2 pieces of information in writing - both were told to me over the phone.

Sigh. Lesson learned.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by jooce
I can copy and paste more if necessary. Over the phone, the adjusted had told me that I shouldn't have even canceled and kept the $310 charge, and then I would've been able to successfully claim the $310.
no, they would have denied the $310 claim since it wasn't non-refundable

catch22...

I'd say stop talking to them on the phone, and start sending letters.... more proof to talk to the insurance regulator
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:40 pm

Would you suggest strictly letters or is email ok?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:55 am

whole idea is documentation.

phone call = no documentation (unless you record it), but it's still a pain when you can just whip out a letter/email hardcopy to forward to the insurance regulator

I would prefer letter, but if it's too annoying/time-consuming/too much delay, then go for email and save everything
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Email is fine if your state's commissioner accepts this method.

In most of the case, the commissioner will ask the insurance company providing relevant document and a proper explanation.

It works sort of like a CPFB complaint. The only difference is your state will act more often than CPFB.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:11 am

Hello all,

I purchased with my CSP a ticket CDG-TLV through FCO with Alitalia. unfortunately I just came up with an ear infection and my doctor doesn't want me to fly.

My AZ ticket is refundable for a 150€ fee. Means i have to pay the 150, then i'll get the ticket reimbursed.

Will the CSP insurance cover that fee?
One rep I talked to said that since it was a cancellation fee, not a part of the ticket that's not refundable, they would not.
Another was not so sure.

I know the nuance is thin, but when it comes to insurance...
what do you guys think?

One thing for sure, with a cheaper, non refundable ticket, CSP would have covered the loss, things would have been easier.

Thanks all for your input.
Ben.

Last edited by Benjh; Aug 3, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Benjh
Will the CSP insurance cover that fee?
It should.

Originally Posted by Benjh
One rep I talked to said that since it was a cancellation fee, not a part of the ticket that's not refundable, they would not.
Another was not so sure.
It is not about how the fee is categorized or named. It is about if it is a loss as a result of your cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.