Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige : Admirals Club access benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This benefit ends 6.20.2017.

Discuss HERE.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige : Admirals Club access benefit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikena
have you tried? what kind of ticket it should be to cancel it less than 12 hours before departure? I'm arriving to CDG early morning and departing AMS late night on Skyteam so need Admiral shower before I dive in "Paris à pied" for a day.
You may wish to explore this topic in a AA forum. This inconclusive thread might be the place to start:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...owers-cdg.html
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:05 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mia
Not a word.
I have an issue with 3 words counting for post count
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Thepla: Your analysis is sound, but I would add three nuances.

First, if you have a Citi Gold account (basically give them $50K in checking/savings), the net fee drops another $100 so that it's then $100 net. You can also earn roughly 12K points per year from the account for free, which are worth $1.6 cents each for AA tickets.

Second, with the Prestige you only get "access" to Admirals Clubs, which means you can't use non-Admirals clubs that an Exec holder could use, e.g., Qantas lounges and the JAL lounge in FRA. The weird de facto exception is the Alaska network, which you do get into, but via Priority Pass. Another exception is the Hawaii JAL lounge, which is actually a 50% shared Admirals Club (or so I hear; I've never been).

Third, the Prestige's Priority Pass is better than Amex's version: you can bring family/2 guests.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Thepla: Your analysis is sound, but I would add three nuances.

First, if you have a Citi Gold account (basically give them $50K in checking/savings), the net fee drops another $100 so that it's then $100 net. You can also earn roughly 12K points per year from the account for free, which are worth $1.6 cents each for AA tickets.

Second, with the Prestige you only get "access" to Admirals Clubs, which means you can't use non-Admirals clubs that an Exec holder could use, e.g., Qantas lounges and the JAL lounge in FRA. The weird de facto exception is the Alaska network, which you do get into, but via Priority Pass. Another exception is the Hawaii JAL lounge, which is actually a 50% shared Admirals Club (or so I hear; I've never been).

Third, the Prestige's Priority Pass is better than Amex's version: you can bring family/2 guests.
I am going to apply...

I like idea of Citi Gold. Almost makes it free forever.

As far as overseas use I can't see where that is too much of a benefit with Lifetime Plat or EXP since I get in when I travel.

Extra people for PP is great. I can't tell you how many times I've been with family (which is wife and one kid) where I've not used card because I was only person allowed.in at time.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:49 am

That's what I did: I opened a Gold account, killed my Exec, and got the Prestige. Then Citi left Texas completely last March and handled their exit so poorly that I ended up opening a private account with Citi instead. Nice website though.

The trick with getting 12K points/year for free is this: every month, do (1) one electronic pay or other deposit, (2) one electronic bill pay, and (3) one automatic transfer from checking to savings. (They don't make it easy to figure all this out.) The banking-side points are NOT transferable but, as I said above, they're still worth 1.6 cents for AA tickets. Gold also gives you a 15% annual bonus on all your points.

If you do the math, you end up getting over 5% back on air/hotel spending. Not bad.

One more thought: they're generally running some sort of promotion or another for opening a Gold account, and so be sure to ask.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
That's what I did: I opened a Gold account, killed my Exec, and got the Prestige. Then Citi left Texas completely last March and handled their exit so poorly that I ended up opening a private account with Citi instead. Nice website though.

The trick with getting 12K points/year for free is this: every month, do (1) one electronic pay or other deposit, (2) one electronic bill pay, and (3) one automatic transfer from checking to savings. (They don't make it easy to figure all this out.) The banking-side points are NOT transferable but, as I said above, they're still worth 1.6 cents for AA tickets. Gold also gives you a 15% annual bonus on all your points.

If you do the math, you end up getting over 5% back on air/hotel spending. Not bad.

One more thought: they're generally running some sort of promotion or another for opening a Gold account, and so be sure to ask.
I am approved. I called Citigold. It is 50K checking plus IRA or 100K for checking, IRA and investment account.

I'll ensure I have required done after I get card. There are tons of Citibank accounts in Illinois.

Are the 15% for all points, including ones from CC?

Can it be any deposit, I work for myself and draw a check but not a way to do direct deposit?

For last one I also need to open a savings account and just automatically transfer some money between two accounts? It seems they give you free checks and several other perks like ATM overseas has no penalty, non Citi ATM has no extra charge. Their CC seems to have overseas car insurance for all countries, including Israel, which my Amex excludes.

When you say nontransferable you mean to another airline? How do I use those points for AA?

THanks
thepla
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:40 am

Yes, the 15% is for all points including credit card points. I believe they ignore the extra 2x and 3x category bonuses for purposes of calculating the 15%, according to the one publicly available data point.

As for which deposits count and which don't, there's a huge amount of on-line analysis here. If memory serves, the best and most complete one was at Doctor of Credit. (A wonderful site, by the way.) According to him, any ACH transfer should work; PayPal likely won't. A transfer that works like "bill pay" likely won't either. Oddly enough, an in-branch deposit of a third party check may count . . . or at least it did the one time I tried.

As for the auto-save, yes again. A Gold Account consists of both checking and savings. Just go online and set up an automatic transfer of $100 a month from checking into savings.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:05 pm

I am not sure if this a right place to ask, but can you guys tell me if i am a Citi Executive card holder if i am able to use the lounge even though i fly economic with southwest/lufthansa? i will be stop by at Seattle 3 hour; Chicago 4 hour and 4 hour in Paris. Can i use those lounge in those airport with my mother? thanks in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:37 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I am not sure if this a right place to ask, but can you guys tell me if i am a Citi Executive card holder if i am able to use the lounge even though i fly economic with southwest/lufthansa? i will be stop by at Seattle 3 hour; Chicago 4 hour and 4 hour in Paris. Can i use those lounge in those airport with my mother? thanks in advance.
Yes.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
Yes.
Wow thanks i didn't expect to be able to use the lounge if i don't fly business/first with AA, also do you know where i can look up to see where is the lounge for those 3 location Seattle, Chicago, and Paris? Thanks a lot because this will give my mother a better rest in those lounge!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:19 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Wow thanks i didn't expect to be able to use the lounge if i don't fly business/first with AA, also do you know where i can look up to see where is the lounge for those 3 location Seattle, Chicago, and Paris? Thanks a lot because this will give my mother a better rest in those lounge!
The Citi Executive AAdvantage card conveys FULL MEMBERSHIP to Admirals Clubs. So as a cardholder, you can visit the lounge regardless of whether you are flying American or Southwest (or anything at all). You can search for club locations at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...sLocations.jsp
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
The Citi Executive AAdvantage card conveys FULL MEMBERSHIP to Admirals Clubs. So as a cardholder, you can visit the lounge regardless of whether you are flying American or Southwest (or anything at all). You can search for club locations at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...sLocations.jsp
Thanks I really like this benefit
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:45 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Boarding Pass Checks

Following up on the recent discussion regarding boarding passes, I had completely opposite experiences this weekend when accessing two Admirals Clubs that were formerly US Clubs. In PHL (B/C location), my card was swiped, but my boarding pass was not checked. In PIT, my card was swiped, and then I was asked for my boarding pass, which was then scanned. (The latter is my typical experience when accessing legacy AA Admirals Club locations.)

The odd thing is that one would think that once a Prestige Card is swiped for entry, the computer would prompt for a scan of the boarding pass, but who knows.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:01 pm

Have all the US Airways clubs been rebranded yet?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by nall
Have all the US Airways clubs been rebranded yet?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.