Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Thanks

I am just trying to share the consideration that, without drawing circles or arrows, wr can aid here and inspire others to do many things

Hope it helps
I support MM and other members sharing what TYP/other benefit they are able to obtain shortly after doing so.

Otherwise Citi will have the advantage of information asymetry.

I have personal experience (from a dispute of my own) that arguing an offer without limit like TYP 5X is somehow bounded by CL is unsustainable (the regulator refused to buy it). Banks like Citi may cut your credit line immediately, or change the T&C with immediate effect, but what you've earned (by transaction time) before they take either action is yours to keep.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by percysmith
Banks like Citi may cut your credit line immediately, or change the T&C with immediate effect, but what you've earned (by transaction time) before they take either action is yours to keep.
Thats right... Do remember that IF you get shut down or challenged and so always do your tests and pushes of your own personal limits with the mind set that this is a temp job that could end tomorrow but pays well as i put in more hours.

In temp or freelance work you do build a raport but at the same time, no matter how good you are, the boss could always come over and say, "hey we changed something in our business so we gotta let you go." Or, if something you do is a blunder--even if only assumed, youd be axed first.

But what work you did you did so you must sometimes fight to get paid for it.

What i do is expand all activity in my online cc pages and show all temp auths and print to pdf. I do it before spend on any given morning and once again that eve. Keep thorough and detailed records as if to prepare for a court case that will hopefully never come
Old Dec 22, 2013, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also... It doesnt matter how much money one has here or how high one's cl is... What is important is that you try to get the max you can out of it.

As ships pass in a harbor, a captain of a large ocean cruise vessel could still salute a captain of a small fishing boat. Both are captains.

Its all about being one, of your own little typ industry
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:07 am

Boys, if we ever form a nation state around MS (and I believe we should), then I nominate MM as its ambassador.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol but then Id be MMS and we cant have that! I mean there already was a poster just last night in the PIN thread who gave an all too detailed description on things we all normally speak in small circles about. That which must not be blogged, etc.

Anyway, merry X (as in 5x) MS! And a happy new CC!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Anyway, merry X (as in 5x) MS! And a happy new CC!
Only one MM ^

¸,‹•*°ˆ°*•›,¸MERRY¸,‹•*°ˆ°*•›,¸CHRISTMAS¸,‹•*°ˆ°*• ›,¸MM & ALL¸,‹•*°ˆ°*•›,¸

Last edited by zenride; Dec 23, 2013 at 11:38 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Boys, if we ever form a nation state around MS (and I believe we should), then I nominate MM as its ambassador.
While that might be fun, the only nation state models that would be comparable are Iceland and Cyprus (and of course the US with it's massive unfunded liabilities).

Our MS all rests on fools who run up CC bills and repay with lots of interest (up until such time as they declare BK). Otherwise our games would come to a quick and certain demise. Thankfully (unfortunately?) there are no lack of fools in this world...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:54 pm

I've read the past several pages of this thread, and while it's not exactly on-point I figured I would ask here since it sounds like this crowd is well-versed in Citi's methods.

I have three Citi cards - AA, HHonors sig, and HHonors Reserve. I just got the Reserve (opened on the 15th) and in considering my spend for next year and considering a run for the $40k / Diamond benefit. While I know most would say this is not worth it, and I would normally agree, I'm planning a honeymoon for September which includes 12 nights in Hilton properties, so trying to do everything I can to increase the odds of an upgrade.

Since the Honeymoon is in September this would mean that I need to get all $40k spent by the statement closing in August at the absolute latest. That gives me 8 statement periods to get my spend in - which means an average of $5,000 per month.

I currently run about $3k through my Citi cards in MS (VRs) and my plan is to increase that as I bring the new card online and ultimately reach a point where I am spending about $6k-$7K in MS, via AP and VRs, on the Reserve card. This month will likely have $2k in VRs plus $1k in AP on the Reserve, plus maybe $1k in real spend.

Here is the kicker - this card has my smallest credit line, at $5k. So as I increase the MS I'll be cycling through the credit line at least once or twice per month. I figure in a month or two I might call and ask them to move the credit line from my HH Sig (either by just moving the line, or if necessary by closing the card) which will give me some extra room. I want to do this anyway since it will give me more credit on a card with no FTF. Also, I tend to make smaller trips to CVS, $500 per visit, since CVS is a quick walk for me and my CVS is a bit odd about large transactions and flat out refuses to split tender across multiple cards.

What are your thoughts on this? I was nervous about it at first, but it sounds like those of you that have gotten shut down have gone MUCH harder, and mostly on cards that earn bonus points at pharmacies.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:49 pm

It's fine.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:35 pm

Agreed.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
I sure hope this does not happen to me. I need 5K more transactions with VR cards, and have already done a lot with Hilton Hhonors (to get Diamond status next year.) I already have been closed in less than one month with GoBank. Only about 5,500 in purchases too. They should make things explicit, like with GoBank saying 2,500 per a day load at wal mart and 10K/month (i think) but it's irrelevant to me now.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:09 am

In 2014, how are you doing so far? And, where do you go to purchase your VR's now? Also, do you use BlueBird to pay your mortgage/rent?

I'm new to this "game" but I'm seriously considering getting more involved and very quickly.

Any quick tips to someone well-informed and well-read on this but still very new at it all?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:43 am

Still going strong, but it's coming to an end for many folks (probably) over the next several months.

My advice is: get after it while and when you can.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by dedkends
Still going strong, but it's coming to an end for many folks (probably) over the next several months.

My advice is: get after it while and when you can.
+1. BC is next, but not sure I'll be able to do as much as TYP allows.

Last edited by cuebert; Jan 27, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:22 am

So, just playing around with URLs (the 5x TYP must be somewhere!). The default URL for say the TY Preferred is:

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...VCHAJjmQDn3Ff6

and this gives you an APR of 12.99, 17.99 or 22.99% depending on creditworthiness. Changing CK5 to CK9 gives the offer where the APR IS 12.99%

So, would Citi give the 12.99% if you applied with the modified URL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.