Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I think at this point for reasons we care not to know, its all relative. I have heard of shut downs of people doing less and more and it all relates to pure luck.
There have been recent shutdowns?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Not that i know of
Sorry for the confusion

But in the ones there had been, it was all over the map. And it is same with st dl. No consistency.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:41 am

I recently wrote a securred email to citi asking if my typ was no preset limit and now it is
You had a limit placed on your TYP earning? That's the first I've heard of that. What's your limit?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No

Credit limit
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I don't do MS or the like, and this is not intended to insult anyone - especially bloodshotx - but if I could spend over $400,000 a year on CC, why would I go after airline or hotel points? I would just live my lifestyle allowed by that much money. Is there something I am missing?
Yes because there is a big difference between someone that earns $100,000 a year and spends $400,000 on cards, and for example, someone that earns $4,000,000 a year and spends $400,000 on cards. Same 400K spend but probably two entirely different lifestyles. MS is the only thing that allows the former to "spend" 400K while the latter could/should be able to just based on income. I suspect most people making $4,000,000 would think the idea of skulking around WalMart trying to cash out giftcards a bit beneath them. I do it because it allows me to approximate a travel lifestyle at least somewhat similar to them.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In ms if you spend $2k in one month to put $400k spend on one cc and do some sulking around walmarts for just one month youll end up w $20k
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:47 pm

In ms if you spend $2k in one month to put $400k spend on one cc and do some sulking around walmarts for just one month youll end up w $20k
Tru dat^

But some of us have NPSL cards and others don't (I checked and I don't have it).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:09 am

I was going to do a student loan redemption from daughter's account, but hers just shows less than 1:1. I believe it is 125K for $100. Checked my own account it is is still 100K for $125. Anyone know what is going on here? Am I grandfathered at the better rate, could I loose it?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Here's an honest question now that the last people are starting to run out their 12th month: will Citi 5x go down in history as the most expensive customer acquisition campaign in history?

I only ramped up for the last 4-5 months of my run, but even so Citi wrote me checks for a bit less than $10,000. And now I have multiple Citi card products!

So I'm not saying it didn't work, I'm just saying they must have metrics on the cost of their various campaigns, and these TYP are one hell of a big line item.

Related question: does anyone know if TY is separately incorporated like the FF programs, such that Citi Credit Cards buys TYP in bulk from the program at some discount? That might be a way to keep the headline cost of the campaign down (then TY can just report higher-than-expected redemption costs when we cash out).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons
Here's an honest question now that the last people are starting to run out their 12th month: will Citi 5x go down in history as the most expensive customer acquisition campaign in history?
No. When the CR was available, within one single month you could easily do equivalent of the 12 month TY reward you got, and there was zero cost.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:09 pm

I've read back several pages, but haven't seen anything. If you get blacklisted by citi, how long will it take to get back into their good graces? 3 years?

Edit: I've just read the first 10 pages, and it seems like one is blacklisted forever. Is chase like that too?

Last edited by subdawg; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:49 am Reason: Edit
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by relangford
I don't do MS or the like, and this is not intended to insult anyone - especially bloodshotx - but if I could spend over $400,000 a year on CC, why would I go after airline or hotel points? I would just live my lifestyle allowed by that much money. Is there something I am missing?
Yes, you are missing the point of MS. If you MS $100k in a month by purchasing VRs (one of many MS examples), you will have spent $100,000 on a cash equivalent (the VRs) PLUS $790 in VR fees. Through various liquidation methods discussed throughout the MS forum, you will then GET BACK the $100k. You will have then earned at least 100k points (or in the case of most people on this thread, 500k TYPs) for an out of pocket cost of $790. Because 500k TYPs can be redeemed for at least $5,000, you will have come out with a very nice profit.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:59 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by js80
You will have then earned at least 100k points (or in the case of most people on this thread, 500k TYPs) for an out of pocket cost of $790. Because 500k TYPs can be redeemed for at least $5,000, you will have come out with a very nice profit.
However, if you naturally had $400k in free spend available, you probably wouldn't go through the hassle and time of tracking down, purchasing, and liquidating 200 VRs if you wanted to make another $4200. You would just close another deal / play another round of golf / do whatever it is rich people do to make money.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
However, if you naturally had $400k in free spend available, you probably wouldn't go through the hassle and time of tracking down, purchasing, and liquidating 200 VRs if you wanted to make another $4200. You would just close another deal / play another round of golf / do whatever it is rich people do to make money.
I just graduated with accounting degree at CSUF, and still looking for a better job. I really want to know what rich people do to make money? and how can they make a lot of money when we compare with low income people who just work everyday to earn minimum wage or middle class people work but can't make more money as rich people.
Rich people are getting richer, and low income people and middle class people work hard but they cant make more money

Last edited by happy9zz; Feb 18, 2014 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by happy9zz
I really want to know what rich people do to make money? and how can they make a lot of money when we compare with low income people who just work everyday to earn minimum wage or middle class people work but can't make more money as rich people.
Rich people are getting rich, and low income people and middle class people work hard but they cant make more money
be born to a rich family?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.