Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Just curious...has anyone ever tried decreasing the CL on a Citi card online by using the "Credit Limit Increase Request" function and entering a lower number than your current CL for the "Total Requested Credit Limit" field?

I'd probably like to lower the CL on a couple of my cards but would rather not call them to request that.
You can do it by private message. Very easy and quick. No phone call needed.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by bevoinva
You can do it by private message. Very easy and quick. No phone call needed.
Thanks, that would be great.

They don't do anything crazy like doing a HP when decreasing a CL - right?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thanks, that would be great.

They don't do anything crazy like doing a HP when decreasing a CL - right?
No - but they will reply to your initial request with a warning that if they reduce the credit line, you will be ineligible for a credit line increase for 6 months. You'll need to respond that you understand and for them to go ahead and reduce the line.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:41 am

"Would this apply to merging credit lines and closing out the empty card as well? (i.e. could you do that?)"

Just tried on the AA Executive Card. No luck merging before closing. Shame because it was my highest credit line with citi.

Last edited by mavericks414141; Feb 22, 2015 at 11:42 am Reason: Quote
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Citi also wouldn't reallocate my CL even if doing so meant me bringing over triple what I was planning to on a BT

Chase however instantly reallocated between two of my cards so they got the majority of my BT business this year.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CEONelson
Chase however instantly reallocated between two of my cards so they got the majority of my BT business this year.
How much did you pay Chase in fees or interest?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:08 pm

I just received my Citi Platinum Select card. Looking to spend the $3K 1st three months to get the 50K points. At the same time, I was hoping to eventually transfer the CL to my Citi Gold card (it has a longer history) and then cancel the Platinum.

I believe I have to wait 6 months from opening the Platinum account before I can transfer any CL right? Is it possible to move CL from a newer card to an older card?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stvnstng
I just received my Citi Platinum Select card. Looking to spend the $3K 1st three months to get the 50K points. At the same time, I was hoping to eventually transfer the CL to my Citi Gold card (it has a longer history) and then cancel the Platinum.

I believe I have to wait 6 months from opening the Platinum account before I can transfer any CL right? Is it possible to move CL from a newer card to an older card?
Since you unearthed this thread, have you actually read thru it (not a long thread to begin with)? Read and then you would know this is near impossible with Citi, as well as under what circumstance (only one really) Citi would move CL, and that is the exact opposite as you are hoping.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Quick question I didn't see addressed although I might have missed it.

I had my dad apply for a new Citibank credit card the other night because he has a large credit line with his other Citibank card (and I assumed he was at their cap) and was looking to move some balances from other issuers to the new card which had a great balance transfer offer. Unfortunately, instead of receiving the message with instructions to call-in which would have allowed him to move the credit line around, they auto approved him for the card with a lower credit line than he needs. Since the card was literally opened yesterday, is there anyway that Citi will allow him to move some of his existing credit line to this newly approved card?

I totally had forgotten about lowering the credit line on your existing account prior to applying (plus I thought it took several months before Citibank would release the reduced credit limit back into the available pool when applying for a new card. Or maybe I have Citibank confused with Barclays?

Also, I know that carrying a balance is bad especially when you are paying interest but unfortunately my dad chooses to carry a balance for reasons that I can't explain so the least I can do is help him minimize the interest he pays on the balances he is carrying.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
I was closing an AAdvantage Platinum Select amex, and did it via secure message. At the same time, I asked if my credit line could be reallocated to my AAdvantage Platinum Select, or my newly opened Citi Prestige. They said this was not possible. Is this expected or should I have done something differently and lost out on some credit line?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Credit line movement- now requires a credit pull?

Called in today to request that I be able to move part of a credit line with Citi to another card within the same Citi card family. The representative said that this would take several days to accomplish and would require them to pull my credit from the bureaus. I then said, no all I want to do is decrease the line on the one card and move it over to the other card. The reps response was that a decrease in one card and a separate increase in another card would require a credit pull. I am a Citi card with my oldest card in my portfolio with them over 14 years in age and have never come across this before. Is this something new or did I get a bad rep?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cupps
Called in today to request that I be able to move part of a credit line with Citi to another card within the same Citi card family. The representative said that this would take several days to accomplish and would require them to pull my credit from the bureaus. I then said, no all I want to do is decrease the line on the one card and move it over to the other card. The reps response was that a decrease in one card and a separate increase in another card would require a credit pull. I am a Citi card with my oldest card in my portfolio with them over 14 years in age and have never come across this before. Is this something new or did I get a bad rep?
This is was my result as well a few months back. I've been trying to move credit onto my grandfathered Citi Forward card (I have been using this aggressively for 5x amazon and 5x dining for the past year, only have 2k limit lol).
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The hard-pull for moving credit from one card to another is a correct description of how it works, unfortunately. And, yes, that's even if you're not asking for any "new" credit at all.

The only known way around this is to move credit during the application process for a new card, which (for this purpose) obviously needs to be over the phone with a CSA. Calling AFTER the new card is already opened doesn't work, or at least it didn't work for me when I tried it a couple of months ago.

I'm not 100% sure how "hard" the hard-pull really ends up being in actual real-world practice.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
The hard-pull for moving credit from one card to another is a correct description of how it works, unfortunately. And, yes, that's even if you're not asking for any "new" credit at all.

The only known way around this is to move credit during the application process for a new card, which (for this purpose) obviously needs to be over the phone with a CSA. Calling AFTER the new card is already opened doesn't work, or at least it didn't work for me when I tried it a couple of months ago.

I'm not 100% sure how "hard" the hard-pull really ends up being in actual real-world practice.
It has been like this since 2008 financial crisis and Citi NEVER reverts back to pre-2008 procedure while Chase and other banks freely move the credit lines among cards in 90% of the time.

As mentioned above the only time to be able to reallocate CL is at application and BEFORE the application is approved. For that matter if you are instantly approved, you are SOL for the chance to move credit line to the new card. If you dont get an instant approval but go all the way to add options to your account, at the end it is still pending - you then have a very good chance of getting approval AND the opp to reallocating CL.

It is extremely annoying practice of Citi but that is what it is. Nothing can be done about it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
As mentioned above the only time to be able to reallocate CL is at application and BEFORE the application is approved. For that matter if you are instantly approved, you are SOL for the chance to move credit line to the new card. If you dont get an instant approval but go all the way to add options to your account, at the end it is still pending - you then have a very good chance of getting approval AND the opp to reallocating CL.
The caveat being, at least for me, that I'm always presented a puny amount of transferable CL. Example: I might have 30K CL amongst existing cards, new card default is 5K, they allow maximum of 2K to be moved in. Very helpful...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.