Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:13 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD
Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Posts: 1,162
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I lower every (14 so far) Citi Hilton Card to $5k the day I activate it.

I have no idea how long the credit takes to free up but I haven't had to call recon or move a credit line to get approved so far
Thanks for the info. That's a great idea to lower the limit upon activation. I actually lowered the lines of a couple of the Citi AA Executive cards in order to start hitting the Hilton Cards. Wanted to avoid having to call in every time.

Do you still have all the cards open or do you close some as you acquire more?
bevoinva is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:17 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ATL
Posts: 177
Citi move CL between cards

I made three separate calls in the past couple weeks

1. Asked to move 3k from card A to card B, rep did it immediately no questions asked

2. Asked to move 3k each from Card C and card D to Card E. Rep asked salary info which I provided and said would get back to me in a couple days

after hanging up, I got worried that the rep might process it as a CLI (= hard pull) so i called back...

3. New rep says that moving CL among citi cards is impossible

What's going on??
mapotofu is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 pm
  #33  
Used to be exsynner
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 49
Citi move CL between cards

1- Was the card you moved the additional CL to a new (<30 days old)?

In some cases, issuers can/will make certain changes within a set time frame.

2- This request came after your first. Even if the sub 30 day condition was NOT the reason you were approved for the first transfer...this request's approval would likely take into consideration that you already requested one.

3- sometimes you just gotta HUCA
C.F. Frost is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:26 pm
  #34  
Used to be exsynner
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Posts: 49
Citi move CL between cards

Btw, love, love love mapotofu
C.F. Frost is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:08 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by mapotofu
I made three separate calls in the past couple weeks

1. Asked to move 3k from card A to card B, rep did it immediately no questions asked

2. Asked to move 3k each from Card C and card D to Card E. Rep asked salary info which I provided and said would get back to me in a couple days

after hanging up, I got worried that the rep might process it as a CLI (= hard pull) so i called back...

3. New rep says that moving CL among citi cards is impossible

What's going on??
I went through this recently as well. However, according to Citi online customer service and the majority of phone reps, you are no longer allowed to transfer credit lines between different cards.
rjs11 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:04 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,922
Originally Posted by rjs11
I went through this recently as well. However, according to Citi online customer service and the majority of phone reps, you are no longer allowed to transfer credit lines between different cards.
Yes, you are, but generally only at new card approval time (transfer credit line from an existing card to the new card, if that's what is needed to get the new card approved).

What you aren't allowed to do is transfer credit lines between existing cards whenever you want to.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:29 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Beverly Hills
Posts: 713
Would this apply to merging credit lines and closing out the empty card as well? (i.e. could you do that?)
tigerhunt2011 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:27 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 45
Quick question to those that are more knowledgeable than me:

Im trying to move most of my CL ($82k or so) to one card that I've paid the fee on and plan on keeping it for a yr. Everytime I call to transfer my CL, I get a "this is considered credit consolidation and we do not have that option" answer. I know its possible. Whats the keyword I need to use or whats the way around it? I know I need to leave atleast $5k on the exec cards but Im trying to move the "cream" to the other card.
J4Jets is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:42 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 2,276
Originally Posted by J4Jets
Quick question to those that are more knowledgeable than me:

Im trying to move most of my CL ($82k or so) to one card that I've paid the fee on and plan on keeping it for a yr. Everytime I call to transfer my CL, I get a "this is considered credit consolidation and we do not have that option" answer. I know its possible. Whats the keyword I need to use or whats the way around it? I know I need to leave atleast $5k on the exec cards but Im trying to move the "cream" to the other card.
Generally speaking, Citi will ONLY move credit from one account to another at account opening. So the way to do it is to apply for the product you want, not get an instant approval and then move all the credit on your call.

I think that having anywhere near that much credit with a bank as generous with multiple accts as Citi can only be a bad thing as you consistently bump into the max they will extend. Just my opinion.
KennyBSAT is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:51 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW,OVB (Russia)
Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Posts: 1,823
Originally Posted by J4Jets
Quick question to those that are more knowledgeable than me:

Im trying to move most of my CL ($82k or so) to one card that I've paid the fee on and plan on keeping it for a yr. Everytime I call to transfer my CL, I get a "this is considered credit consolidation and we do not have that option" answer. I know its possible. Whats the keyword I need to use or whats the way around it? I know I need to leave atleast $5k on the exec cards but Im trying to move the "cream" to the other card.

Official credit alication is a PITA with Citi. There is no one effective way to do it

A better question is, why do you wanna move most of your Citi exposure to one card? (that's a bit dangerous). Also, most Citi cards come with "No preset Spending limit" benefit anyway?
rgAAFT is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:51 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,164
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT

I think that having anywhere near that much credit with a bank as generous with multiple accts as Citi can only be a bad thing as you consistently bump into the max they will extend. Just my opinion.
I agree. if you are planning to have future CC with citi you are better off lowering your CL on the cards you want to close before you actually close them this way you will free up your credit in few weeks instead of 6 months.
ninim2200 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:18 pm
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,709
Hoarding CL is not a smart thing to do. It might be needed during the 2008 to 2011 time frame when banks were not willing to give additional CL.

However, the current environment is, banks are willing to give additional CL when one is not at the max credit exposure range. It is much better to leave ROOM for additional CL than being at the max level the bank is willing to give you, for very obvious reason, not just for the bank involved, but also for other banks you might be interested in their cards because these days banks do a lot of account reviews to see the whole picture not just the piece that directly affects them.
Happy is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:45 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Happy
Hoarding CL is not a smart thing to do. It might be needed during the 2008 to 2011 time frame when banks were not willing to give additional CL.

However, the current environment is, banks are willing to give additional CL when one is not at the max credit exposure range. It is much better to leave ROOM for additional CL than being at the max level the bank is willing to give you, for very obvious reason, not just for the bank involved, but also for other banks you might be interested in their cards because these days banks do a lot of account reviews to see the whole picture not just the piece that directly affects them.
Makes sense. However, Im trying to keep one account with about 50k limit instead of 4 accounts with 82k limit. So in effect, I will eventually reduce my CL once I close my last two cards.
J4Jets is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:42 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 374
Tried reallocating CL between 2 cards, manager account specialist says hard inquiry would be needed -- declined.
winsteven13 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:28 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 3,248
Just curious...has anyone ever tried decreasing the CL on a Citi card online by using the "Credit Limit Increase Request" function and entering a lower number than your current CL for the "Total Requested Credit Limit" field?

I'd probably like to lower the CL on a couple of my cards but would rather not call them to request that.
nwflyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.