Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Citi card credit line reallocation / reduction [Consolidated]

Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
The only known way around this is to move credit during the application process for a new card, which (for this purpose) obviously needs to be over the phone with a CSA. Calling AFTER the new card is already opened doesn't work, or at least it didn't work for me when I tried it a couple of months ago.
Will this also work when applying for a new card in-person at a branch?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
Red face Didn't work when applying for an additional card in-person at a branch

Originally Posted by ChicagoKev
Will this also work when applying for a new card in-person at a branch?
Didn't work for me.

Applied for Prestige at a branch, asked to move 50% of available credit from an existing card to the new card, wasn't able to do that. I did get the new card, so I'll probably try again in a few months to transfer credit. Mostly just because I want to close out that other account, not because I need a high limit on this card.

Noticed today that my credit report shows the hard pull from Citibank but NOT the newly opened credit card, it'll be interesting to see if the new credit line balances out the negative impact of the hard pull.

Last edited by ChicagoKev; Aug 22, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:42 pm

Data point: In my experience, getting credit moved around before closing an account is definitely YMMV. By Secure Message, it couldn't be done. 1st-line person to answer the phone ... couldn't be done. Retention officer ... said he'd give it a try, the system let it go through for him, no hard pull.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:40 pm

Red face Does Citi let you combine limits?

Card A: 14 months old. $12k limit.
Card B: 11 months old. $8k limit.

Will they allow me to close card B and move all 8k to card A for a total CL of 20k on card A?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:26 am
Suspended

They'll almost assuredly require a hard pull first. If they're OK with what they see, you should be able to combine most or all of the donor card's limit.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really need a $20k limit? Ie, are you going to have balances of over $6000 (30% of $20k)?

Having an unnecessarily high credit limit on one card may hurt you in applying for future cards, people on FlyerTalk are more often these days asking for credit limits to be reduced so that they'll be more likely to be approved for the next card from the same bank.

And another point of that question is: To combine all $20k requires truly combining the two cards (moving and closing in one step). However, to move most (but not all) of the CL from one card to the other (keeping whatever the minimum is required to keep the "donor" card open), and then later closing the "donor" card in a separate step, may be a lot easier to have Citi do.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:52 pm
Suspended

I don't believe that latter part matters. My understanding is that the donor card will simply be reported closed with a $500 CL, or something like that, even if the entire CL is moved.

Not sure if this is Citi's policy, but at other issuers, the donor card can't have had a balance within the prior 30 days, or one billing cycle, prior to the CLs being combined, so keep that in mind.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
As far as I know, they don't re-allocate credit lines like other banks. You can close one account (and lose that credit line) or request a limit increase in another account. The latter will involve a hard pull though.

The only exception to the above is when you apply for a new card. At that moment, the agent is able to move credit lines and close accounts if necessary to approve you without an additional hard pull. Sometimes, they will approve you with a smaller limit and offer to move part or all of the limit of one or more existing cards.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:36 am

I called Citi for similar reason yest. They will do it but it will require a hard pull on the account. I decided not to do it.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
The only exception to the above is when you apply for a new card. At that moment, the agent is able to move credit lines and close accounts if necessary to approve you without an additional hard pull. Sometimes, they will approve you with a smaller limit and offer to move part or all of the limit of one or more existing cards.
Can you apply over the phone and ask them to do this at the time of application or this only available if they ask you to call them after the application has been submitted?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by asur
Can you apply over the phone and ask them to do this at the time of application or this only available if they ask you to call them after the application has been submitted?
Only if the application wasn't approved immediately and you call in. If it was approved right away, then they won't be able to do anything about it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
Only if the application wasn't approved immediately and you call in. If it was approved right away, then they won't be able to do anything about it.
Just a datapoint - last card I opened (Premier) with Citi they only let me move $1,000 of my CL to the new card (approved for $7,600). Very annoying, but my total CL at that point was $37,600 (3 cards).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

They only moved $1,000 without a hard pull or they'd only move $1,000 even with a hard pull? How old were the existing cards?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Just a datapoint - last card I opened (Premier) with Citi they only let me move $1,000 of my CL to the new card (approved for $7,600). Very annoying, but my total CL at that point was $37,600 (3 cards).
Which i why you should try to request a lowering of you CL on any card where you don't need anywhere near the CL you currently have, as soon as you can. It can take a while (weeks? a month or more?) before the lowered CL is available for new card applications, so it's best to do the CL lowering as soon as you can, rather than trying to time it to the next application.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jsk1973
They only moved $1,000 without a hard pull or they'd only move $1,000 even with a hard pull? How old were the existing cards?
Correct, the max amount without a hard pull was $1,000. The ages of the previous accounts were three and five years.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which i why you should try to request a lowering of you CL on any card where you don't need anywhere near the CL you currently have, as soon as you can. It can take a while (weeks? a month or more?) before the lowered CL is available for new card applications, so it's best to do the CL lowering as soon as you can, rather than trying to time it to the next application.
I never once considered that, good point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.