Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
Has Citibank discontinued the ability to see the expiration date of all ThankYou Points?

I used to be able to click on the expiring points, and then choose show all, and see a breakdown of all expiring points (just a s the wiki above reflects). However, for the last week or so, when I see the expiring points, there is nothing to click in that area, and the question mark directs me to see the terms & conditions of each of my sponsor accounts to determine when points expire.

Is anyone else unable to see the expiration date of all sponsor accounts as well as the remaining number of points per sponsor account?
I can't see it either. I called them tonight and nobody from Thank You and nobody from Citicards could find the answer either. This is not good. You know their IT guys will know when you cancel your account.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Citi put a halt on monthly point expirations. Nothing expires until December 2014. That's why they took away the expiration link.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Citi put a halt on monthly point expirations. Nothing expires until December 2014. That's why they took away the expiration link.
The problem, though, is that you can no longer see how many points came from each sponsor account. I'm planning on closing my Premier card soon (in light of last year's devaluation), and it's wildly unhelpful that I can no longer see how many points I'll need to burn in the weeks following account closure.

(Of course, if the TYP system showed expiring-on-account-of-card-closure points in the expiring points total, this would be far less of an issue. But they don't, so it is.)

EDIT: I've updated the wiki to note Citi's lamentable downgrade of the TYP Points Summary features.

Last edited by beltway; Mar 1, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:07 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Is there an official announcement for this?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:15 am

just one question, if I upgrade the citi preferred (for example) to citi premier or prestige, will the point linked with my old card(preferred) expire in 90 days?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by myeyes
just one question, if I upgrade the citi preferred (for example) to citi premier or prestige, will the point linked with my old card(preferred) expire in 90 days?
Don't think they would, but call and ask.

Why an upgrade as opposed to applying for a new card though to get the signup bonus TYP? Saving a hard inquiry?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Don't think they would, but call and ask.

Why an upgrade as opposed to applying for a new card though to get the signup bonus TYP? Saving a hard inquiry?
Same question. Was looking at consolidating some of my cards (ended up with 4 Preferred cards) and getting one Premier - was even advised by CSR to open a new Premier and get bonus. If not enough credit line - transfer part of the lines from unused cards.

Now a bit different question. Do I understand correctly, that once my new Premier card appears on my Thank You account, I would be able to redeem my entire TYP balance for air tickets @ 1.2x vs. 1x?

I did not think this through when I decided to downgrade my Premier card to Preferred. Was not reminded by CSR that I will need more point for air travel. So, 2 weeks after downgrading Premier to Preferred to avoid the annual fee (grandfathered $75), I was approved for a new Premier.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
Now a bit different question. Do I understand correctly, that once my new Premier card appears on my Thank You account, I would be able to redeem my entire TYP balance for air tickets @ 1.2x vs. 1x?
To answer my own question - yes, as soon as I got the new Premier card I was able to book travel @ $1.20 per TYP.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
To answer my own question - yes, as soon as I got the new Premier card I was able to book travel @ $1.20 per TYP.
I think you mean 1.25 cents per point.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I think you mean 1.25 cents per point.
Right, 1.25 cents per point - 67,652 pts = ~$845
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Can I just bump this thread up and say again how rotten it is for Citi to take away the "Expiring Points Viewer."

It's a really sneaky way for hundreds if not thousands of Citi TYP members who never/rarely log on to know/notice that their points may go "poof."
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by mrkymark
It's a really sneaky way for hundreds if not thousands of Citi TYP members who never/rarely log on to know/notice that their points may go "poof."
Could you please elaborate? I rarely log on and don't want to lose my points, but I didn't realize that that happens. Thanks for explaining.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by xlax
...I didn't realize that that happens. ...
The Wikipost at the top of the thread provides a good summary, and explains how to check if you have points expiring in the next 90 days.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by mia
The Wikipost at the top of the thread provides a good summary, and explains how to check if you have points expiring in the next 90 days.
Thank you very much.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Since transfers to airline partners only available to ThankYou Premier card holders is there way to upgrade to this card from Premier and still get the 20K bonus? Im guessing no, unless i first cancel my card and re-apply months later. but that would expire my TY points. Correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.